• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Holymoly   
3 hours ago, Leo91 said:

Never properly seen him play. Our scouts have to do their jobs. If he deems to pass the eye test then fair enough.

Do we still have scouts then? I thought we just used the Football Manager database.

Bison   
19 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Do we still have scouts then? I thought we just used the Football Manager database.

Scott McLachlan joined Chelsea in 2011 having previously worked at Fulham, as a technical scout, and Southampton, where he was head of performance analysis.

Formerly Fulham's technical scout and Southampton's video man. Our head of 'international scouting' apparently. So yeah, we probably do use football manager. I think they predicted Barkley would be a good player by now...funny how that turned out.

Rob B   
4 hours ago, Bison said:

Scott McLachlan joined Chelsea in 2011 having previously worked at Fulham, as a technical scout, and Southampton, where he was head of performance analysis.

Formerly Fulham's technical scout and Southampton's video man. Our head of 'international scouting' apparently. So yeah, we probably do use football manager. I think they predicted Barkley would be a good player by now...funny how that turned out.

The guy’s been with us since 2011, in which period we’ve signed Courtois, Mata, Oscar, Lukaku, De Bruyne,  Azpi, Hazard, Costa, Fàbregas, Kante and Pedro to name but a few, and you’re moaning about a cut price Ross Barkley!? 

• Like 1

Ham   
1 hour ago, Rob B said:

The guy’s been with us since 2011, in which period we’ve signed Courtois, Mata, Oscar, Lukaku, De Bruyne,  Azpi, Hazard, Costa, Fàbregas, Kante and Pedro to name but a few, and you’re moaning about a cut price Ross Barkley!? 

Good signings but I'm not sure any of those actually required scouting. 

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

The Belgian boys were scouted by De Visser. 

On 03/01/2020 at 8:31 PM, Droy was my hero said:

This season and last season was Fxxxed 2 years ago when the changing rooms were stuffed with ordinary and aging players and not a single AM had been bought since 2015..  It has always been a case of doing as well as we can while preparing for 2021 or 2022.

I do not disagree that the transfers between 2016-17 were disastrous, whilst the lack of AM signings was just ridiculous. We have a disagreement about who was in charge of the signings and I do not want to get into that again as we both just go around in circles as we are both adamant in our opinions on that. 

And yes, it is going to take a number of very good/excellent signings over a number of windows to get us back to the top. However, those signings in my opinion do not have to be made at the very end of the window which is what we normally do. That is my point.

Let's wait and see how this window plays out but my expectation is if we do sign anyone it will be last minute which estentially wastes another month. 

On 03/01/2020 at 9:06 PM, Michael Tucker said:

Have to ask the obvious here, but so what? Surely most transfer deals usually are, no matter who's buying who? At least that's the way they're reported in the media. Note that our club says nothing, and confirms little about these things. Been that way since RA arrived. 

No not really. Go look at the Dipper's dealings. The significant majourity are done before Aug in the Summer window and early in Jan if they buy then. The only exceptions are Keita where they did a loan to buy, Van Dijk where they pushed their luck (and his was injured anyway) and Oxlade-Chamberlain who was in a situation where Le Arse were trying their best to keep him and offering him more money than the clubs interested in him and then he had to decide between both us and the Dippers. Alisson, Robinson, Fabinho, Salah, Winjaldum, Adrian, Shaquri and Mane were all were done before August and none had a buyout. That is a club that is also operating in the same sort of budget as us and they can do it so I do not really buy the line of thought that our approach is something that is intrinsicly linked to the nature of the market. 

43 minutes ago, King Kante said:

No not really.

Yes, really.

43 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Go look at the Dipper's dealings.

I don't need to 'go look' at anything. I can read/see just like anybody else.

And there always exceptions, as I said. The key word in my post was 'most'. I'll stick with that.

12 hours ago, Bison said:

I think they predicted Barkley would be a good player by now...funny how that turned out.

Good player or not, the club will probably make a hansom profit should he be punted. IMO that is a shroud piece of business. 

Holymoly   
9 hours ago, Rob B said:

Pretty sure Football Manager had them flagged too ;-)

7 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Yes, really.

I don't need to 'go look' at anything. I can read/see just like anybody else.

And there always exceptions, as I said. The key word in my post was 'most'. I'll stick with that.

There is a long list of players we have bought early and or with very little fuss. Hazard, Kante, Costa, Fabregas,  Barkley, Batshuayi,  Bakayoko, Kovacic, Jorginho, Pulisic, Kepa. For various reasons none of these count according to King Kante.