• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Pulisic was a shot worth taking. When you invest cash in an asset, you do so based on signs that the investment can grow to be worth much more than that initial layout.

Pulisic clearly has a lot to work with. Quick, intelligent, great attitude, very gifted technically.. so I can understand the Pulisic purchase.

Even Morata and Barkley you could tell what the club was looking at to be fair.

Can't really blame the club for the Morata purchase. I mean, Conte basically f*cked us with Diego Costa and left the club having to gamble on either Morata or Lukaku. Both players were risky investments but in hindsight maybe we should have re-purchased Lukaku.

Its the Bakayoko, Kepa, Drinkwater, Zappacosta, Giroud and Emerson investments that really screwed us IMO. Those were the real head-scratchers.

The Kepa purchase really grinds my gears because, apparently, the club knew he was leaving the year before and we still dragged it on and then eventually had to rush into a panic option (Kepa).

Moving forward, I think if the club sees real potential in a target and they are of the right age to have resale value then we should go ahead.

Chilwell is going to have a market to recoup cost even if he backfires. He's young, English, playing in a position with few quality options available... even if this guy comes here and has a tough 2 years there are going to be options.

Even Barkley who gets criticized a whole lot, I bet if we put him up for sale that we could get 20 million pounds from someone willing to take "a chance".

Edited by Blue_In_Every_Way

7 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

The Kepa purchase really grinds my gears because, apparently, the club knew he was leaving the year before and we still dragged it on and then eventually had to rush into a panic option (Kepa).

Out with potentially a long term injury at the moment (January) we could have bid for him.  Also most of his La Liga experience came in his final year, with a lot of it after he had extended his contract.

7 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Its the Bakayoko, Kepa, Drinkwater, Zappacosta, Giroud and Emerson investments that really screwed us IMO. Those were the real head-scratchers.

Kepa and Giroud made a lot of sense. Kepa has played a lot of games.  Giroud did at first, and we did need someone in order to let Morata go off on loan.
Bakayoko made some sense in that Matic's place was up for grabs.  The stupidity was trying to buy a fourth player out of Monaco's team when they were selling Mbappe and 2 other top players at the same time - bound to overpay.
Morata I accept was a needed purchase and you sink or swim on the basis of their performance.  Not Barkley - I see no reason to have bought him.

But certainly we both have long lists of players who went on to play on the bench and left us with a massive squad of ordinary players.  The irony is that young players at Chelsea have always been given chances at Chelsea because we have traditionally (since JM cut the Ranieri squad down to size by about 2005) had tiny squads of great players.  Youngsters would get the odd game, but were far short of being good enough.
This year and last we have a ridiculously large squad, there should be no room for youngsters, but they have walked into the team A because they have performed excellently on loan and B because there are so few top quality first team squad members.

bONes   
19 hours ago, chelboy said:

Would you have predicted him becoming the best CB in the world?

I vividly remember watching a few Celtic games at that time, thinking that guy is something special. He was head and shoulders above everyone else in that team and therefore league.

You can never predict someone becoming the very best until you not only see their talent on TV/live, but also get to closely know their character. Turns out he has the minerals too.

Anyone seen transfer talk on sky, what a load of rubbish.

I never heard of anyone sitting at the table, they might as well get 4 people off the street.

this morning they had no new stories or rumours and voted on whether the wolves striker should move To man utd, 3 of the clowns said he has to leave and sign for Utd just because it's united

Off topic the usual rubbish said on match of the day about how AUBAYANG not being that sort of player and he was unlucky to be sent off, it looks worse in slow motion, blah blah.

FACT IS, IT WAS A NAUGHTY CHALLENGE AND COULD HAVE BROKEN THE BOYS ANKLE, HE HAD TO BE SUBBED STRAIGHT AWAY.

On 1/12/2020 at 0:34 AM, Michael Tucker said:

Is he? I haven't seen much of him tbh, but I keep reading that he's terrific going forward but isn't a great defender. 

Alaba has been one of the best LBs around since he was 20. He's pure quality imo. 

10 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Chilwell is going to have a market to recoup cost even if he backfires. He's young, English, playing in a position with few quality options available... even if this guy comes here and has a tough 2 years there are going to be options.

At £60m there won't be many punters if he is a failure here. Just like there won't be a single club in the world willing to pay more than £25m for Kepa at the moment. 

Buying Chilwell at those figures is a massive, massive risk and a risk we shouldn't be taking. For that sort of money there are loads of better options out there. Many much cheaper than £60m.

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

This year and last we have a ridiculously large squad, there should be no room for youngsters, but they have walked into the team A because they have performed excellently on loan and B because there are so few top quality first team squad members.

We have a ridiculously large squad if you include all the players out on loan, but with RLC injured we have effectively only 17 players that have contributed this year + Pedro, Barkley, Batshuayi, Giroud and Caballero. I would like to see a reduction in the amount of deadwood in the squad and in the loan stables, coupled with 2-3 big signings annually and 1-2 youth promotions. Unfortunately I don't think that the incomings and outcomings are that closely connected.

31 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

We have a ridiculously large squad if you include all the players out on loan, but with RLC injured we have effectively only 17 players that have contributed this year + Pedro, Barkley, Batshuayi, Giroud and Caballero. I would like to see a reduction in the amount of deadwood in the squad and in the loan stables, coupled with 2-3 big signings annually and 1-2 youth promotions. Unfortunately I don't think that the incomings and outcomings are that closely connected.

Main squad right now:

GK: Arrizabalaga, Caballero

RB: Azpilicueta, James

CB: Rüdiger, Zouma, Tomori, Christensen

LB: Emerson, Alonso

CM: Kanté, Jorginho, Kovacic, Barkley, Loftus-Cheek

AM: Willian, Pulisic, Mount, Hudson-Odoi, Pedro

S: Abraham, Batshuayi, Giroud

Players in bold needs to be replaced by much better players. Players in italics could stay or go, not too bothered. 

Then we have players like Cumming, Lamptey, Maatsen, Gilmour, Anjorin and McEachran who all have shown promise.  

Loan players: Baxter, Blackman, Rahman, Chalobah, Clarke-Salter, Grant, Guehi, Miazga, Nartey, Sterling, Zappacosta, Castillo, Ampadu, Bakayoko, Baker, Drinkwater, Gallagher, Nathan, Pantic, Pasalic, Brown, Kenedy, Moses, Musonda, Piazon and Ugbo. 

Out of these, only Guehi and Ampadu are worth keeping around. Van Ginkel needs to focus on salvaging his career. It won't be with us.

Edited by The_Ghost

54 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

So 17 + 5 + RLC + GK3 makes a real squad of 24. 
5 of them U21 - though I don't think that is an issue for GK3, Pulisic or Mount who are irrelevant/experienced/experienced.  More like 22+James+CHO as youngsters.

I don't think the squad is that small in numbers.  What I meant to point out is that it is extremely small in terms of top class players.  Time was when Joe Cole or Gudjohnsen weren't regular starters because there were 11 better players.  When a basic PL midfielder like Sidwell was hated by a large part on here simply because he was only a basic PL midfielder sitting on our bench.  Breaking into the first XI has never been easier.
(But it is also true that we have never had Academy players like Mount, Abraham and James trying to break in before - not since Huth or Forssell perhaps.)

43 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Out of these, only Guehi and Ampadu are worth keeping around.

Everything I hear from my brothers Charlton season ticket holding family suggest that Gallagher is the best of all the loanees.

And on your "not bothered" list, I'm more of a "club must decided soon" person.  There are decisions where it is vital to get them right.  And decisions where it is vital simply to make them early.
(Agreed on pretty much all the rest)

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

Main squad right now:

GK: Arrizabalaga, Caballero

RB: Azpilicueta, James

CB: Rüdiger, Zouma, Tomori, Christensen

LB: Emerson, Alonso

CM: Kanté, Jorginho, Kovacic, Barkley, Loftus-Cheek

AM: Willian, Pulisic, Mount, Hudson-Odoi, Pedro

S: Abraham, Batshuayi, Giroud

Players in bold needs to be replaced by much better players. Players in italics could stay or go, not too bothered. 

Then we have players like Cumming, Lamptey, Maatsen, Gilmour, Anjorin and McEachran who all have shown promise.  

Loan players: Baxter, Blackman, Rahman, Chalobah, Clarke-Salter, Grant, Guehi, Miazga, Nartey, Sterling, Zappacosta, Castillo, Ampadu, Bakayoko, Baker, Drinkwater, Gallagher, Nathan, Pantic, Pasalic, Brown, Kenedy, Moses, Musonda, Piazon and Ugbo. 

Out of these, only Guehi and Ampadu are worth keeping around. Van Ginkel needs to focus on salvaging his career. It won't be with us.

I'd agree that replacing Alonso, Pedro and Giroud are the first priorities. Followed by Barkley and Batshuayi. No way we're replacing Kepa, Azpi will probably see out his contract and we'll end up keeping either Emerson or Alonso as a back-up (probably Alonso is easier to sell now).

Regarding the loan players, I'd add Gallagher and Baxter as potential first team squad players at some point. For various reasons I agree it's unlikely any others will break through here.