• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

paulw66   
9 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

Do we want to be muddling along ? We want to be challenging at the top. The best teams in the world have great fullbacks. Ajax at home in the CL is the one that stands out for me and I was amazed he came back into the team after that. Liverpool at home too ? My memory isn't great. I'm not hating on the guy, but the standard nowadays is ridiculously high by City and Liverpool and we need crazy consistency throughout a season, Alonso cannot be starting for us week in week out in my opinion. 

The best teams in the world have great players everywhere. They have great centre backs and forwards too, which is where we short. 

A rebuild to get back to the top, is step by step. We currently are around about the 4-6th best team in England. The next step is to cement 3rd best in England, then the step after is going for the league. 

If we add Werner and Zieych to our attack, then add a top class centre back, we would easily be 3rd best IMO. 

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

There has been many a debate on here about how he can play wing back to a decent level

... based on a false assumption that we  (or indeed any PL team for about 20 years)  have ever had FBs that didn't knowingly get out of position on the instruction of managers and the false assumption that 3 CBs is significantly different to 2CBs and a DM.

There is a perfectly fair accusation that when in position one on one he gets beaten for pace easily.

1 hour ago, Jasonb said:

We are being linked with a lot of players just now,

Given that Liverpool have no money even as probably title winners, City have/had oil money, Man U have only bought 1 decent player since Ferguson (Lukaku, at least they got their money back), there isn't a lot of credible stories the media can create right now.  Right now it is hard to invent any story where we are not the buyers.

Alonso isn't our LB problem, imo. It's Emerson Palmeri. I don't like to be especially harsh on our players, but I really do not see the point of him. I don't think he excels at any single aspect of the position (which Alonso demonstrably does, even given his weakeness; pace) and I've never seen him do anything that made a particular difference to how we were playing. It's not as if he's someone you bring in for a game that won't tactically suit Alonso. You just bring him in if Alonso has had a stinker.

Emerson is our most expendable player (who isn't out on loan). If we are looking for a LB, I think it's either go all out to get a top player who has Alonso's qualities as well as pace, or trade Emerson out for a LB who lacks some of what Alonso has but is at least mobile and lightning fast.

• Like 1

This has to be the window where we take advantage, apart from city, other teams don't have money to spend, ( I'm including Utd in this, unless they off load a few players, they don't have the funds they pretend to have, the owners have big debts)

look at Everton (players and manager have had to defer wages)

tottenham have taken out a big loan, Arsenal look skint!

and Klopp has said he can't afford a big transfer unless Mane or Salah is sold.

we need Roman to stop wasting money on paintings and boats and back Lampard while he can

paulw66   
22 minutes ago, Never happy said:

we need Roman to stop wasting money on paintings and boats and back Lampard while he can

Really?

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Emerson is our most expendable player (who isn't out on loan).

Close call with Barkley and Bats.  Mind you apparently we have told West Ham we want £40m for him.  It is in the papers so no one can tell me I am wrong.

Unless their name is Ham.

JaneB   
1 hour ago, Never happy said:

This has to be the window where we take advantage, apart from city, other teams don't have money to spend, ( I'm including Utd in this, unless they off load a few players, they don't have the funds they pretend to have, the owners have big debts)

look at Everton (players and manager have had to defer wages)

tottenham have taken out a big loan, Arsenal look skint!

and Klopp has said he can't afford a big transfer unless Mane or Salah is sold.

I think Roman has plenty of money to waste....

10 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Close call with Barkley and Bats.  Mind you apparently we have told West Ham we want £40m for him.  It is in the papers so no one can tell me I am wrong.

Unless their name is Ham.

I completely forgot Bats wasn't on loan!

I suppose maybe Barkley is actually most expendable by virtue of there being plenty of other midfielders in the squad, but that's not much of a defence for Emerson and Bats!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I completely forgot Bats wasn't on loan!

I suppose maybe Barkley is actually most expendable by virtue of there being plenty of other midfielders in the squad, but that's not much of a defence for Emerson and Bats!

And it assumes that Pedro is gone, and Giroud and Caballero will go/retire soon.
Van Ginkel not on loan either, though after a 2 year break before recently starting training, he is unlikely to go straight into Frank's squad.  (Lets hope he does get to play next season, anywhere).
Plenty on the loan list too. 
Not sure what RLC will be doing next year too.  If it were football as usual, there might be a proper offer for him from a mid-table Prem team which he would have been wise to take.

19 hours ago, Leo91 said:

Do we want to be muddling along ? We want to be challenging at the top. The best teams in the world have great fullbacks. Ajax at home in the CL is the one that stands out for me and I was amazed he came back into the team after that. Liverpool at home too ? My memory isn't great. I'm not hating on the guy, but the standard nowadays is ridiculously high by City and Liverpool and we need crazy consistency throughout a season, Alonso cannot be starting for us week in week out in my opinion. 

I completely agree with everything you've said. However, I'm not sure City are a great example, they won the league with Zinchenko and Delph playing left back.

I think left back is a bigger priority than centre back because full backs effect every phase of the game with the way the game is played now. I absolutely love Marcos and can't understand any Chelsea fan who doesn't but, we have a lot of good centre backs at the moment and getting another good one won't improve us. We should only move if a genuinely great one who can lead those good ones becomes available and those are pretty rare.

All of Liverpool and Leicester's first choice full backs walk in to our team. Look at their centre backs, I'd suggest only Van Dijk is an OBVIOUS upgrade on what we have.