• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

paulw66   
3 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

I completely agree with everything you've said. However, I'm not sure City are a great example, they won the league with Zinchenko and Delph playing left back.

I think left back is a bigger priority than centre back because full backs effect every phase of the game with the way the game is played now. I absolutely love Marcos and can't understand any Chelsea fan who doesn't but, we have a lot of good centre backs at the moment and getting another good one won't improve us. We should only move if a genuinely great one who can lead those good ones becomes available and those are pretty rare.

All of Liverpool and Leicester's first choice full backs walk in to our team. Look at their centre backs, I'd suggest only Van Dijk is an OBVIOUS upgrade on what we have.

4 decent centre halves, none of whom would have got near our first team in 2004-2006 when we were blessed

30 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

4 decent centre halves, none of whom would have got near our first team in 2004-2006 when we were blessed

We certainly were blessed. As the word blessed suggests though, players like JT don't grow on trees unfortunately. Let alone JT, Ricky and Gallas all at the same time - what a team!

We did have Huth still in our squad back then though...

I really believe one top-class centre back could make any one of Rudiger, Christensen or Zouma look good next to them and form a formidable defence. Which is why it's worth waiting for the right player. Adding a Soyuncu or Gabriel from Lille type signing to the mix isn't going to change anything.

bert19   
20 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

We certainly were blessed. As the word blessed suggests though, players like JT don't grow on trees unfortunately. Let alone JT, Ricky and Gallas all at the same time - what a team!

I really believe one top-class centre back could make any one of Rudiger, Christensen or Zouma look good next to them and form a formidable defence. Which is why it's worth waiting for the right player. Adding a Soyuncu or Gabriel from Lille type signing to the mix isn't going to change anything.

He's been very good at Leicester to be fair.  Exceeded almost any expectation there could have been for him really. 

Finding a top CB is hard at the moment. How many are really out there? Finding a significant upgrade on anything we currently have would be a bit of a battle (unless we paid big money and wages for someone older).  

Umtiti is a good player, but big fee and big wages and if he's not in the side at Barca, there's a reason. I'd also really hope we've got through the stage of buying Barca or Madrid's subs.  If you sign that profile of player, you'll get the odd Pedro, but you'll get a few more Moratas.  I'd rather we continued this approach of up and coming players (with sell-on value).  Build a younger, hungrier side. 

51 minutes ago, bert19 said:

Umtiti is a good player, but big fee and big wages and if he's not in the side at Barca, there's a reason. I'd also really hope we've got through the stage of buying Barca or Madrid's subs.  If you sign that profile of player, you'll get the odd Pedro, but you'll get a few more Moratas.  I'd rather we continued this approach of up and coming players (with sell-on value).  Build a younger, hungrier side. 

Yes. You'll get a great Belletti or a Pedro (Deco, Petit, or Zenden or Ferrer or Bogaard )- coming to the end of their career with a lot of experience, and great for 10 starts and a lot of sub appearances.  If you are really really very very lucky, and Barca have just bought Suarez and Neymar to have three world class false 9s leaving nor room for a 4th, you might get Fabregas.

You won't get a starting CF with 20+ goals in him.  Let along a young one.

paulw66   
4 hours ago, FrankLampard8 said:

Agree. All 4 are good enough to be second best / 3rd choice. A top class CB would have a bigger impact on us than Chilwell IMO

7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Agree. All 4 are good enough to be second best / 3rd choice. A top class CB would have a bigger impact on us than Chilwell IMO

I think Rudiger is top class though not an organiser (much like Gallas was).

With VAR everyone should be conceding a lot of goals from set piece crosses.
Our priority should be on scoring as many against lesser clubs as they score against us.

Rob B   
3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Without a shadow of a doubt. 

Our current defence but with a prime JT dropped in at centre-back,  would be better than our current defence with a prime Ashley Cole dropped in at LB.

Or more simply put, there is a bigger scope for upgrade at CB, than there is on Alonso IMO.  I think the challenge that Frank and the club probably have at CB is picking who to cut their losses on and sell. With the exception of Rudiger, all have age on their side, seem like good lads and will probably get better. 

bert19   
14 hours ago, Rob B said:

Our current defence but with a prime JT dropped in at centre-back,  would be better than our current defence with a prime Ashley Cole dropped in at LB.

Or more simply put, there is a bigger scope for upgrade at CB, than there is on Alonso IMO.  I think the challenge that Frank and the club probably have at CB is picking who to cut their losses on and sell. With the exception of Rudiger, all have age on their side, seem like good lads and will probably get better. 

Christensen & Tomori seem the better longer-term options for me.  Zouma's a fine option, but I'm not sure I see him getting better now and his technical ability seems more limited.  

Christensen is an interesting case though. I kind of feel like the ball is in his court now when it comes to what he really wants to be.  He's clearly a really good player, but is he the sort that is going to end up swanning about in a league like France or Spain, or does he have the drive to be a success in a more challenging league like the Premiership or Germany? He's certainly got ability, but he is aggressive and uncompromising?  Is he going to be ruthless enough to be a top CB in this league? 

Whereas Tomori I feel has an excellent skillset for the Premier League and I felt he looked like he was really settling into it earlier in the season. 

But are either at the point now where you'd press on with them over signing someone? And where do you find a top CB at the moment?  There don't seem to be too many around. 

Edited by bert19

20 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think Rudiger is top class though not an organiser (much like Gallas was).

And this is sort of the problem, will already have a top class centre half, and three decent/good/very good younger players. It should be perfect but due to the nature of Rudiger as a player we need to improve or add someone who can really organise a defence. 

Improving, in terms of pure quality,  will undoubtedly cost a lot of money and I don't see many players around who would either be the type we need or be available to us right now.

The other option is to go down the route of a Jonny Evans type player, one who may not be top quality but reads the game very well, is very good at organising the defence and adds a lot of experience. It would almost certainly improve Rudiger as a player, (just imagine him alongside JT!) but if anything happened to Rudiger we would be in trouble.

And before anyone jumps on me, I am not for one minute advocating the signing of Jonny Evans, he's just an example, maybe a bad one in some peoples opinion but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

paulw66   
17 hours ago, Rob B said:

That's it in a nutshell.