• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

1 hour ago, bert19 said:

I'm expecting them to start rebuilding.  Feels like this team has come to the end of its cycle.  They've been miles behind this year and that back four is a complete mess.  

You need a big budget to be a yoyo team like Chelsea post 2011 or Liverpool now, going through periods of redevelopment and then going all in for trophies for a couple of years before rebuilding again.
You need an absolutely monster budget to stay a top team over a period of 10 or more years, BM/RM/Barca style.
Man City (and Man U) have been spending that monster budget at least up to the start of this season.  

Who knows how much financial support they will have for next season, but I can't see the old plan including a redevelopment phase for 20/21.

JaneB   

I've been thinking about this for a while now. The defending last night I think was generally a bit of a one off, we have conceded poor goals throughout the season at times, but I don't think we have seen too many very poor performances from our defenders. I suspect we will be looking to sign a CB during the summer and probably moving one on too.

This sounds a bit counter intuitive, but I wonder (hope) if we have already signed our best improvement of defence.

Many positives to take from this season in terms of what is trying to be built, we have some real talent at the club and a fantastic group of technical players. However, we seriously lack some creation in an attacking sense. Its only real Pulisic who is currently a real threat in terms of opening up defences and pulling teams around, but he has had his injury problems and took time to adjust.

Ziyech could just be the best answer for this defence. Its clear we can dominate teams, but its also clear we do not create enough genuine good chances and we certainly do not test opposition goalkeepers. Opposition goalkeepers rarely have had great games against us this season, I can think of a couple of occasions all season.

If Ziyech can adjust to the PL, I really hope his creativity can be the difference between the opposition having 40% and still in the game at 0-0 or 1-0 down, compared with we are 2-0 or 3-0 up and we can manage and control the game.

Our defenders have had constant pressure put on them all season (which they have not really handled), because we constantly finding ourselves in positions where we have not killed games off. I don't think we miss too many chances as a team, but we certainly do not create enough and the final ball is often left wanting, or we lack that player who can unlock a defence through vision,piece of skill or creativity.

No pressure then Hakim!

paulw66   
1 hour ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I've been thinking about this for a while now. The defending last night I think was generally a bit of a one off, we have conceded poor goals throughout the season at times, but I don't think we have seen too many very poor performances from our defenders. I suspect we will be looking to sign a CB during the summer and probably moving one on too.

This sounds a bit counter intuitive, but I wonder (hope) if we have already signed our best improvement of defence.

Many positives to take from this season in terms of what is trying to be built, we have some real talent at the club and a fantastic group of technical players. However, we seriously lack some creation in an attacking sense. Its only real Pulisic who is currently a real threat in terms of opening up defences and pulling teams around, but he has had his injury problems and took time to adjust.

Ziyech could just be the best answer for this defence. Its clear we can dominate teams, but its also clear we do not create enough genuine good chances and we certainly do not test opposition goalkeepers. Opposition goalkeepers rarely have had great games against us this season, I can think of a couple of occasions all season.

If Ziyech can adjust to the PL, I really hope his creativity can be the difference between the opposition having 40% and still in the game at 0-0 or 1-0 down, compared with we are 2-0 or 3-0 up and we can manage and control the game.

Our defenders have had constant pressure put on them all season (which they have not really handled), because we constantly finding ourselves in positions where we have not killed games off. I don't think we miss too many chances as a team, but we certainly do not create enough and the final ball is often left wanting, or we lack that player who can unlock a defence through vision,piece of skill or creativity.

No pressure then Hakim!

Our collecting defending is woeful. And I don't blame that only the defenders, and the players in general. There are plenty of PL teams with inferior defneders to ours, and they don't look so damn awful at defending. We areon course to have the worst defensive season since RA took over, and just 2 defeats away from the joint most in a RA season, when we finished 10th

12 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Our collecting defending is woeful. And I don't blame that only the defenders, and the players in general. There are plenty of PL teams with inferior defneders to ours, and they don't look so damn awful at defending. We areon course to have the worst defensive season since RA took over, and just 2 defeats away from the joint most in a RA season, when we finished 10th

I don't disagree on the whole. I just think we don't help the situation because so many games are still very tightly in the balance during the last 30 mins.If we created more chances and actually tested goalkeepers more, instead of overplaying and just going from side to side , with no penetration. We would have a greater control of the game and not find ourselves so exposed.

I don't really want to sound like I am sticking up for the defence, partly because I don't think their own individual performances deserve it. I do genuinely believe that because we can't find the right midfield balance and create enough, it keeps the pressure on the defence when we should be comfortable and in control.Its happened far too often this season.

This team is crying out for a physical, mobile, technically gifted holding midfielder. If that means one of Jorginho or Kante have to be sold to accommodate this player, then we should crack on and do it. Jorginho is a fantastic footballer, but he falls into the luxury camp in English football for me. With this more holding player and the creativity Ziyech and Pulisic with a season behind him, I think this will a huge help to our defence going forward.

Rob B   
25 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I don't disagree on the whole. I just think we don't help the situation because so many games are still very tightly in the balance during the last 30 mins.If we created more chances and actually tested goalkeepers more, instead of overplaying and just going from side to side , with no penetration. We would have a greater control of the game and not find ourselves so exposed.

I don't really want to sound like I am sticking up for the defence, partly because I don't think their own individual performances deserve it. I do genuinely believe that because we can't find the right midfield balance and create enough, it keeps the pressure on the defence when we should be comfortable and in control.Its happened far too often this season.

This team is crying out for a physical, mobile, technically gifted holding midfielder. If that means one of Jorginho or Kante have to be sold to accommodate this player, then we should crack on and do it. Jorginho is a fantastic footballer, but he falls into the luxury camp in English football for me. With this more holding player and the creativity Ziyech and Pulisic with a season behind him, I think this will a huge help to our defence going forward.

Whilst I do agree with the sentiment that Ziyech and Werner will put more games to bed early doors,  there's no escaping the fact that Man United and Wolves win that game last night 2-0.  Which is what we would have done if we could defend set pieces (and the last goal wouldn't have happened because we would have been 2-0 up and cruising, so wouldn't have pushed forward chasing a winner) 

Frank and the club HAVE to be looking at defensive reinforcements this summer IMO.   Goalkeeper and CB first things first,  and then a LB if the funds allow but I think we could get by with Alonso, Emerson and Azpi if we really had to. 

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Frank and the club HAVE to be looking at defensive reinforcements this summer IMO.   Goalkeeper and CB first things first,  

With the CB position being so woeful maybe the club need to recruit and experienced CB without paying a kings ransom for stability and bring on the likes of tomori.

I was a Christensson fan, however it look like he will not develop into a top PL quality defender. Ball watch and his inability to read a game are some of shortfalls which come to mind.

42 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

With the CB position being so woeful maybe the club need to recruit and experienced CB without paying a kings ransom for stability and bring on the likes of tomori.

I was a Christensson fan, however it look like he will not develop into a top PL quality defender. Ball watch and his inability to read a game are some of shortfalls which come to mind.

Agreed 100%.

All 4 of our centre backs would be so much better playing alongside someone that could read the game and organise a defence, that's the type of player we need, not necessarily a superstar. A Gary Cahill type signing would be perfect.

Kezza   

Our attack is painfully slow at the moment. Hardly the forwards have space to run into behind the defensive line of the opposition. When you have players like Willian and Barkley who does not know to release a quick through ball you end up with opposing defenders packing the box every time. Worryingly this is how Werner wants to play and I worry our players will never release him into space behind the defenders.

7 minutes ago, Kezza said:

Our attack is painfully slow at the moment. Hardly the forwards have space to run into behind the defensive line of the opposition. When you have players like Willian and Barkley who does not know to release a quick through ball you end up with opposing defenders packing the box every time. Worryingly this is how Werner wants to play and I worry our players will never release him into space behind the defenders.

The answer is Jorginho, Mount or Gilmour.  They all have some vision but more importantly they keep it moving.  You won't see any of them with their foot on the ball, thinking.
And of course Ziyech.