• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

paulw66   
5 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

I knew someone would say this. You could interpret it that way... but I'd argue that Bournemouth should in theory give away more high quality shots than us (although at times this season that's felt questionable!) and yet he still saves 10% more of them than Kepa.

It's also easier for a GK who is facing lots of shots, as you don't have to worry about losing concentration

The great thing about Cech was that he could have been sitting down drinking tea for some of our games, then needed to make one save, and he did it. 

16 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I wouldnt be shocked if he joined a Spanish club on loan.

Rebuild his reputation, and we might find a buyer 

I'd agree that is the sole plausible route out this summer, perhaps even for a few years. But I'd be surprised; it would involve us buying a presumably expensive player when we've already bought two and likely have designs on others. 

8 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

I knew someone would say this. You could interpret it that way... but I'd argue that Bournemouth should in theory give away more high quality shots than us (although at times this season that's felt questionable!) and yet he still saves 10% more of them than Kepa.

idk ... I've seen Bournemouth maybe 6 or 7 times this season, and on each occasion they've sat very deep, and lots of shots against teams set up that way are speculative or desperate. We, on the other hand, are often hit on the counter or on set pieces, which tend to offer up good chances. 

Maybe Ramsdale has stuff going for him based on more of a by-eye, old school scouting-type assessment but those stats say nothing of any real meaning imo.

30 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

There is a young keeper out there who is not just good but only 24.  Name of Kepa.

Currently 25 best goalkeeper statistically in the Premier league which means that some second choice keepers are performing better when given the opportunity. 

34 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Currently 25 best goalkeeper statistically in the Premier league which means that some second choice keepers are performing better when given the opportunity. 

Not really much of a defence of anyone, but anyone playing fewer games will have more drastic 'averages' than anyone playing a more statistically significant number of games. Standard regression to the mean.

Going by what I've seen this season and my own judgement, there are plenty of worse keepers in the league.

18 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Not really much of a defence of anyone, but anyone playing fewer games will have more drastic 'averages' than anyone playing a more statistically significant number of games. Standard regression to the mean.

Going by what I've seen this season and my own judgement, there are plenty of worse keepers in the league.

Are you arguing that he's a "good" keeper like DWMH is? 

Because even though he's not as bad as we (including me) sometimes make out, I think it's a stretch to call him "good". 

He has no strength to his game he's adequate. 

IMG_20200710_190421.jpg

Edited by Mark Kelly

29 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Because even though he's not as bad as we (including me) sometimes make out, I think it's a stretch to call him "good". 

IMG_20200710_190421.jpg

Are you arguing there are 21 goalkeepers in the PL who are better than him? Among them Adrian and Roberto, and the keeper he seems to be pushing out of Spain's first choice slot? Seems fair for you to make your view clear if you're going to ask mine.

If you want my opinion, I think he is good; I see real strengths in him. Simultaneously, I also think it's pretty much impossible to evidence much more than an opinion on him whatever that opinion is. We are such a car crash defensively, and have been all season, that it'd be almost impossible to properly assess any keeper. 

I'd be very confident in saying this season's defence with only him changed would be no better, while this season's defence with a change in CB and/or LB would stand a chance of improving. 

54 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think my point is more that he is 25 and will continue to improve from what I would call  a decent (not great) level.

57 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

IMG_20200710_190421.jpg

Anyone have a clue what Expected save percentage is?
I suspect it is just a re-worked version of GA -xGA.  Which would really be a stat about how bad our keeper and defence are together, not just the keeper.  I think we all know that strikers are finding it remarkably easy to shoot or head from close range.  The blame needs to be spread more widely than just the Kepa.

20 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Are you arguing there are 21 goalkeepers in the PL who are better than him? Among them Adrian and Roberto, and the keeper he seems to be pushing out of Spain's first choice slot? Seems fair for you to make your view clear if you're going to ask mine.

If you want my opinion, I think he is good; I see real strengths in him. Simultaneously, I also think it's pretty much impossible to evidence much more than an opinion on him whatever that opinion is. We are such a car crash defensively, and have been all season, that it'd be almost impossible to properly assess any keeper. 

I'd be very confident in saying this season's defence with only him changed would be no better, while this season's defence with a change in CB and/or LB would stand a chance of improving. 

My opinion is he's OK, nothing special, too short, I agree wholeheartedly that the defence are not exactly making it easier for him but in fairness the stats I've shown certainly seem to be concurring with the trope "you shoot, you score' when Kepa is in the nets. 

I don't think the more physical aspect of the Premier league suits his game, he'd do great in Spain playing three good teams per season. 

Just now, Droy was my hero said:

I think my point is more that he is 25 and will continue to improve from what I would call  a decent (not great) level.

Anyone have a clue what Expected save percentage is?
I suspect it is just a re-worked version of GA -xGA.  Which would really be a stat about how bad our keeper and defence are together, not just the keeper.  I think we all know that strikers are finding it remarkably easy to shoot or head from close range.  The blame needs to be spread more widely than just the Kepa.

My understanding is that if you expected to save it and you don't you're Kepa whereas if you're not expected to save it and you do you're Alisson.