• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

19 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Would be utterly aroused if we got Oblak

He'd take one look at Christensen and refuse to get off the plane. 

paulw66   
1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

He'd take one look at Christensen and refuse to get off the plane. 

Ha ha. Ever the optimist!

synavm   

We could have a Keeper in the form of a brick wall and we'd still concede with our defence set up the way it is.

paulw66   

Posted this in the Kepa thread, but thought it probably belonged here.......

The Atletico assistant manager is quoted as saying that "the Russian wants Oblak"

11 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

The Atletico assistant manager is quoted as saying that "the Russian wants Oblak"

Bournemouth are interested in Oblak? :0)

Oblak would be beyond ridiculous, we would be signing the best goalkeeper in the world.

With the Havertz rumours still going around and now this, yes I know they are only rumours, I can't help thinking the club believe that if we go big, really big, like another £200m+ we would become one of the top teams in Europe again, almost overnight. It could well be the perfect time and we may never get another chance like this.

Adding Ziyech and Werner was huge, two players that if you asked me who would I like to sign this summer they would have been right up there at the very top of the list.

If we then added Oblak, a top quality centre half and a left back which is probably doable for around £200m then we would be right up there. It would be the stuff of dreams. 

I'm not sure we have even touched this years budget yet, with us not buying for two windows you have to assume there was some money there and then if we had budgeted around £100-£150m for this summer anyway, with what's going on in the world, maybe Roman thinks now is the time  and we could do it without massively overspending.

Maybe we dont sign anyone else and it's all bollox but there is some signs pointing to us going for it again. It's a nice thought if nothing else.

bert19   
21 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Oblak would be beyond ridiculous, we would be signing the best goalkeeper in the world.

With the Havertz rumours still going around and now this, yes I know they are only rumours, I can't help thinking the club believe that if we go big, really big, like another £200m+ we would become one of the top teams in Europe again, almost overnight. It could well be the perfect time and we may never get another chance like this.

Adding Ziyech and Werner was huge, two players that if you asked me who would I like to sign this summer they would have been right up there at the very top of the list.

If we then added Oblak, a top quality centre half and a left back which is probably doable for around £200m then we would be right up there. It would be the stuff of dreams. 

I'm not sure we have even touched this years budget yet, with us not buying for two windows you have to assume there was some money there and then if we had budgeted around £100-£150m for this summer anyway, with what's going on in the world, maybe Roman thinks now is the time  and we could do it without massively overspending.

Maybe we dont sign anyone else and it's all bollox but there is some signs pointing to us going for it again. It's a nice thought if nothing else.

Might be a case of Roman striking while the iron is hot (for him anyway). 

The apparent relaxation of FFP presumably plays a part too.  It means he can invest a bit more if he sees fit.  And he and the board may be looking at things and thinking the market could be disrupted for a year or two, so why not get in now?

Lets face it, Liverpool have won the league with ease, City have massively dropped off (and have a fair bit of rebuilding to do, plus losing Silva and Kompany in consecutive summers), maybe the club have spied what they think is their chance to really pull us back into contention? 

I know we're spending big (even if we were to only add Havertz and no one else), but Liverpool have been gung-ho for three seasons, City have dropped off, United are very much in a building cycle, Arsenal & Spurs are well off it - now could be a great chance for Chelsea. 

We obviously won't get the fees we wanted for outgoing players (excluding Jorginho maybe), but we're likely to recoup some cash and free up budget for wages with 5-7 sales. It'll be big spending, but not so big as it first appears (and lets face it, Roman has the money).  

Chelsea ruining football again.  You love to see it. 

Edited by bert19