• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

37 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

I feel like I can always trust Willian to look after the ball when he has it at his feet. Big asset to have in the big games. CHO still a little bit raw

I have also been a fan but if he extends he does under the understanding he will be phased out as the youth and new buys mature into their roles. Is that what he accepts?

Just now, exiledblue said:

agreed, he needs to be linked with a move that seems to inspire him

Or even better, some actual interest and take the money that was on offer before. The kid looks like he's a Theo Walcott at best to me.

paulw66   
1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

Not sure what to think of the rumoured Willian extension. No doubt he has qualities that we need but he has issues with consistency. I like him but don’t think he is the top player we need. If we are extending just to have him as a squad player I worry he’ll block the path for some of the younger players. 

We may have an attacking cast looking something like;

Giroud, Abraham

Werner, Ziyech, Pulisic, Havertz, Mount, Willian, Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek

Thats 10 players for 4/5 positions if we play some variation of 433/4231. In such a formation set-up, I’m thinking that we may have been better off to use the money needed for Willians contract on a top class CB. 

Surely 10 players is about right...... most subs tend to be attacking areas, so you need 6 players per game at least 

As for Willian's contract, even on 5m a year or so, is relatively small fry in terms of overall budget and certainly wont impact signing a CB for 50m plus wages.  

1 hour ago, Kezza said:

Can't be further from the truth. It feels like he's doing his best to be even less productive than Willian. Either that or he thinks he's Bayern material and he deserves to be the first name on the lineup.

So, you disagree, but completely agree with DWMH?

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

So, you disagree, but completely agree with DWMH?

I think my post was open to misinterpretation - could have been written clearer.

kratos   

Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask a quick question concerning Kai Havertz.

I myself have not seen the guy play but I have only read about him to go on.

Is he a necessity given the options we already have?

What will he bring to us?

I'm only asking because I think many of you will agree that the numbers we are talking about would be better invested towards our defence and gk.

paulw66   
9 minutes ago, kratos said:

I'm only asking because I think many of you will agree that the numbers we are talking about would be better invested towards our defence and gk.

That last sentence is only relevant if signing him prevents us signing defenders / GK. If it doesn't, it doesn't matter. 

4 minutes ago, kratos said:

Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask a quick question concerning Kai Havertz.

I myself have not seen the guy play but I have only read about him to go on.

Is he a necessity given the options we already have?

What will he bring to us?

I think you are completely right that spending the funds on other positions might give us a more well-rounded squad. However, I think Havertz is potentially a generational talent and if you have a chance to sign that kind of player, you do it and worry about the nitty gritty afterwards. 

I would say he addresses a need for us though, in that he bring goals from Midfield which is something I still think we sorely miss.

I think people need to make their peace with that fact we might not be the finished article next season and that's fine IMO. I see us being much like Liverpool 2 or 3 years ago - We are going to be ridiculously fun to watch and blow a lot of teams away. However, we might still be missing one or 2 pieces before we can really win the league a year or 2 later.

Rob B   
1 hour ago, FrankLampard8 said:

Or even better, some actual interest and take the money that was on offer before. The kid looks like he's a Theo Walcott at best to me.

Incredibly harsh on the one hand because I don’t think you meant that as a compliment, although on the other hand, if our academy produced players that went on to make 350 appearances in the PL, scoring 75 goals, 60 appearances in the champions league and achieved 47 England caps you can’t really knock that.

Specifically in relation to CHO however, he hasn’t actually had a run of games this season and it’s completely unfair to judge him until that happens because most players need that level of sharpness - particularly one as explosive as Callum.

I think there’s a player there and with a bit of work on the defensive side of his game, I’m sure we’ll see more of him next season (I don’t think we’re going to loan him personally) 

paulw66   
6 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

I think you are completely right that spending the funds on other positions might give us a more well-rounded squad. However, I think Havertz is potentially a generational talent and if you have a chance to sign that kind of player, you do it and worry about the nitty gritty afterwards. 

I would say he addresses a need for us though, in that he bring goals from Midfield which is something I still think we sorely miss.

I think people need to make their peace with that fact we might not be the finished article next season and that's fine IMO. I see us being much like Liverpool 2 or 3 years ago - We are going to be ridiculously fun to watch and blow a lot of teams away. However, we might still be missing one or 2 pieces before we can really win the league a year or 2 later.

We haven't had a consistent goalscoring midfielder since Lampard himself. 

Not a problem when your front 3 is Hazard, Costa, Pedro/Willian with Fabregas playing through balls.

When your front 3 isn't scoring enough, you need goals elsewhere. Hopefully he will do that

That said, his arrival must not be at the cost of reinforcements elsewhere

Edit - I get the impression it's now or never for Havertz as he'll end up at Real or Man Utd if we stand still

Edited by paulw66

7 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

This is pretty much my viewpoint too.