• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

14 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

If there was a possibility of signing Alaba I would be all over it ahead of those 4 players. It may not appear as financially sound as signing one of the younger players but I think his experience would be a huge positive in the squad. He is in the last hear of his contract so may not cost the earth. I like Alonso and I'm not averse to him staying, however if we do find buyers for both our LB's and signed Alaba and a Telles or Tagliafico for a small net outlay it would be good business.

Do you think any of the above would be comfortable playing second fiddle though? Or do you envisage Alaba being a utility man playing CB and CM enough that it doesn't matter? Genuine question.

12 hours ago, Ham said:

Apparently they want £60m but even so. 

The only place he wins is with his PL experience. 

Screenshot_20200729-205225_Twitter.jpg

I was thinking something along these lines ...

48 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

He is also 4 years younger than Tagliafico and Telles who both play for the league champions in pretty weak leagues - the bottom of the Liga Nos and Eredivisie are nowhere near comparable to the Premier League.

I'd not dismiss the numbers of players in those leagues completely out of hand, but I think it is fair to draw attention to how overpowered the likes of Ajax and Porto are relative to their week-in week-out opposition. Chilwell has had to play, with respect, proper opposition every weekend this season.

I honestly don't have much of an opinion on this though. I haven't watched much of any of the players we're being linked with and have no idea how much money we have to spend or how many players we intend to buy. All I know is I'd fairly happily lose a little of Alonso's composure and shooting ability on the ball for greater speed and stronger 1 vs 1 defending.  Not that I think Alonso is a big problem; I'd happily just lose Emerson altogether. 

3 minutes ago, blue moon said:

image.png.a4af87a205a354241e5302397cbf1119.png

So that's no longer an option

Good for them , I think he's average .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, blue moon said:

image.png.a4af87a205a354241e5302397cbf1119.png

So that's no longer an option

too much but they have a habit of paying too much for good not great defenders

Edited by exiledblue

chelboy   
7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I would say he is better than at least two of our CB’s but City need him more than we do. He is also versatile and covers for 3 positions. Not a bad transfer from City point of view. Not the type of player we need though. 

paulw66   
24 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think he's better than average but not better than what they have and not what they (or we) need. 

Both us and City need a JT / Kompany replacement, not a ball playing CH

edit -not that both JT and Kompany couldn't "play" but you get my drift

Edited by paulw66

14 minutes ago, chelboy said:

I would say he is better than at least two of our CB’s but City need him more than we do. He is also versatile and covers for 3 positions. Not a bad transfer from City point of view. Not the type of player we need though. 

I suppose we could argue there is a dearth of decent centre halves at the moment but sometimes I don't think we're looking hard enough if at all.

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

I think he's better than average but not better than what they have and not what they (or we) need. 

Yeah , absolutely .

1 hour ago, FrankLampard8 said:

Do you think any of the above would be comfortable playing second fiddle though? Or do you envisage Alaba being a utility man playing CB and CM enough that it doesn't matter? Genuine question.

Nobody is really happy with playing second fiddle, I doubt Marcos Alonso will be happy playing second fiddle to Chilwell or whoever either. If they don't have any other offers I suspect they will take a chance with us. The only other option for us is to use a youth player or bring in a veteran to fill the second position, then we will moaning about the lack of depth so its a catch 22 really, but I appreciate the point you make its a little fantasy football. 

Have seen us linked with Cucarella the LB at Getafe too, I know nothing of him but not seen his name mentioned here.

9 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Exactly. He will be good alongside Laporte, but we dont have a Laporte so pointless signing for us. Also goes to show all the hype of him being worth 70 odd mil and we could snap him up for a bargain 40m with our buy back clause . Then he sells for 41m anyway. 

I wonder if we get a % in lieu of not using the buy back clause.

Edited by Lump Of Celery