• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

27 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

in regards to these points

1. that sort of dough should buy THE best, like Liverpool with VVD

Or more recently Harry Maguire. 

27 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

2. I suspect if Chilwell was called Chilwellios and was playing for Benfica, that is exactly what he would cost 

Nothing new there though. Playing for Benfica is quite simply not the same as playing at the top level of the premier league, there is a reason that the best players in their positions in this league go for huge amounts of money and the equivalent players from weaker leagues cost a fraction of the price.

9 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

they are out there - whilst we paid 20m for emmerson the dippers got robertson for 7m :0(

Tierney at Arsenal is another although he was £25m by all accounts , they are definitely out there . 

paulw66   
10 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Or more recently Harry Maguire. 

Nothing new there though. Playing for Benfica is quite simply not the same as playing at the top level of the premier league, there is a reason that the best players in their positions in this league go for huge amounts of money and the equivalent players from weaker leagues cost a fraction of the price.

Are you arguing for or against your point with Maguire? I wouldn't have wanted us to pay £80m for Maguire, and glad we didn't. 

As others have pointed out, there must be a cheaper alternative out there. Even the most pro Chilwell people would acknowledge he isn't THAT good. he's hardly Ashley mark II

23 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Fully agreed. Paying £60m+ in this market should get you top talent. I do not count Chilwell in that category. 

Well he's certainly one of the best left backs in the league and young at only 23. 

You only have to look at how much Cancelo, Walker, Mendy and Wan Bissaka have gone for in recent years to see how much full backs go for.

11 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Are you arguing for or against your point with Maguire? I wouldn't have wanted us to pay £80m for Maguire, and glad we didn't. 

me neither, rabbit in headlights most of the time

13 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

As others have pointed out, there must be a cheaper alternative out there. Even the most pro Chilwell people would acknowledge he isn't THAT good. he's hardly Ashley mark II

I'm saying that if you want to buy players from premier league clubs you are going to pay over the odds for them. It's a fact. 

I'd also like to point out that we have absolutely no idea how much he will cost if we do indeed go for him. Right now any fee being thrown around is pure media speculation. If Leicester want Maguire money we will walk away. If he's gettable for £40/50m then I can't see any issue at all.

2 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

I'm saying that if you want to buy players from premier league clubs you are going to pay over the odds for them. It's a fact. 

I'd also like to point out that we have absolutely no idea how much he will cost if we do indeed go for him. Right now any fee being thrown around is pure media speculation. If Leicester want Maguire money we will walk away. If he's gettable for £40/50m then I can't see any issue at all.

This. When you consider that these left back who cost less are a) potentially more of a gamble coming from a foreign league b) will need to be replaced sooner as they are older and c) probably cost almost as much for FFP purposes because they will be on shorter contracts for the same reason... maybe paying a bit extra isn't the end of the world?

I would never pay 70-80m if it was up to me and I'm sure the club won't either... but maybe, just maybe there is a deal to be struck here...

JaneB   
32 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I'm still trying to work out how Maguire is in Garth Crooks's (yes I know) Premier League Team of the Season.  Mind you, he said it was between him and Rudiger.  Very confused.

18 hours ago, Ham said:

Apparently they want £60m but even so. 

The only place he wins is with his PL experience. 

Screenshot_20200729-205225_Twitter.jpg

I'm not Chilwell's biggest supporter (I feel he's a good left back with room to improve) but in addition to his EPL experience, he's also 4 to 5 years younger than Alex & Tagliafico. If you pay 30 mill for Tagliafico today, we will likely need to pay another 30+ mill to replace him for to 5 years from now when he's on the wrong side of 30. Therefore given it'll effectively cost 60+ mill to cover our LB for the next 10 years, if Chelsea can secure Chilwell at a price within the 60 mill mark (hopefully lower), it's a reasonable price & fairly safe bet. 

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 5:28 PM, FrankLampard8 said:

Marc Cucurella would have been an interesting punt - who you could potentially still steal this summer.

I just remembered I touted Cucurella a couple of months ago. Happy (and a little smug) to see us linked with him.