• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

bert19   
45 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

We definitely need a Terry/Kompany/Van Dijk style of CB that's for sure.

Agree totally.  Another CB that defends with gusto and enthusiasm would be good too though.  The odd occasion from Zouma aside, I don't recall any of our defenders aggressively marshalling a striker or throwing themselves into a block or tackle much of late. Upamecano has definitely shown some of those qualities. 

The Athletic (usually reliable from what I can tell), have apparently said he has a release clause of 42m EUR that is in effect in 2021.  If true, we should be on that. I wonder if we could send Rudiger or Christensen the other way in part-exchange?

I think if the Rice rumours really have anything to them, it's because of his hunger and perceived leadership capabilities more than his footballing talent (though he is good from what I've seen).  We desperately need a couple of players that a) lead by example and b) might pin someone like Rudiger to a dressing room door at half-time/full-time when he's been brain farting in his own penalty area.

One thinks about the sort of rockets the likes of JT/Cech/Ash would have given some of our current back four for their individual performances and errors this season (if they had played with them) and they'd have been scared to make the same mistakes again at the very least. 

Edited by bert19

chelboy   

Some Leicester accounts on Twitter  claiming we have made progress with Chilwell. Hope it’s a good price anyway. 

Edited by chelboy

25 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Some Leicester accounts on Twitter  claiming we have made progress with Chilwell. Hope it’s a good price anyway. 

Not a fan of Chilwell, he is of similar defensive ability to Alonso but with a better engine but lacks Alonso's goal scoring, crossing is probably a bit better. For me, this should only be happening for £35m or less. To be fair, Alonso isn't actually that bad at defending, his problem is that he is so slow so once someone gets in behind him he is scrambling as he cannot catch up. If he was faster I do not think we would really being having a discussion about a LB. 

That said, the fee needs to be reasonable. LB is actually a reasonable market you have Telles at £20-25m (he is similar to a Belletti type FB, which is kind of what most people want these days), Tags at Ajax for a similar price (I am not sold on him in the PL as he is too lightweight) and Rugulion from Real/Sevilla at £25-£30m who is very promising and have just been voted La Liga's best LB. 

Anything over £35m and we've been had. Personally, I would take either Telles or Rugulion above him. 

Hearing that Chillwell is almost done, apparently he'll be having a medical in the next few days.

Emerson expected to depart soon as well.

1 minute ago, King Kante said:

Not a fan of Chilwell, he is of similar defensive ability to Alonso but with a better engine but lacks Alonso's goal scoring, crossing is probably a bit better. For me, this should only be happening for £35m or less. To be fair, Alonso isn't actually that bad at defending, his problem is that he is so slow so once someone gets in behind him he is scrambling as he cannot catch up. If he was faster I do not think we would really being having a discussion about a LB. 

That said, the fee needs to be reasonable. LB is actually a reasonable market you have Telles at £20-25m (he is similar to a Belletti type FB, which is kind of what most people want these days), Tags at Ajax for a similar price (I am not sold on him in the PL as he is too lightweight) and Rugulion from Real/Sevilla at £25-£30m who is very promising and have just been voted La Liga's best LB. 

Anything over £35m and we've been had. Personally, I would take either Telles or Rugulion above him. 

I'm quite 'meh' about Chillwell, but if Lampard wants him and from what I understand he is the player he highlighted very early on that he wanted and if Ashley Cole also rates him and has said he wants him at the club... then I might have to trust them more than my own judgement on this one. 

8 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I have a similar view on Alonso, and Chilwell.

I saw a stat the other day that Alonso has the worst one v one % in the PL at 17.7% obviously just a one off stat but I certainly don't remember being THAT bad defensively.

It would be good to keep some of the older players around so hope he stays as a back up to whoever we sign, unless we get a decent offer as he would be a fairly expensive back up. 

1 minute ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I saw a stat the other day that Alonso has the worst one v one % in the PL at 17.7% obviously just a one off stat but I certainly don't remember being THAT bad defensively.

Not surprised.  The problem with Alonso has never been an inability to teleport home at will (all FBs get caught out regularly).
His weakness has been one on one defending when he is at home.

40 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Agree. I'm not convinced Chilwell is that huge an upgrade... especially for the fee being talked about.