• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Bison   
1 hour ago, Never happy said:

It's called scouting, unless the player we want is a name or plays for a big team, WE ARE NEVER GOING TO BUY THEM,Plenty of players like him in mls, but unless clubs are prepared to take a chance, they won't be spotted.

Another good example is a player who starfed at Queen's Park, went to Hull, then went to Liverpool and won the league, Andy Robertson

We signed Dr Bruyne and Courtois for a combined total of approximately 16m. Good old days.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bison said:

We signed Dr Bruyne and Courtois for a combined total of approximately 16m. Good old days.

We did it by buying every young player other clubs were interested in and paying a bit more.  The scouting was OK, but the market timing was terrific.  No surprise that we bought a mixture of diamonds and cut glass though.  We spent £5m - rising to £10m perhaps one day :) - on Piazon in 2012.who is still on our books.  Wallace Oliviera cost £5m in 2013.

Azpi cost £8m and Moses cost just over £10m about the same time.   (prices off wiki or transfrmarkt, and obvs no guarantees of accuracy).
Whie a lot of players got their wages subsidised for a few years.

It was a scattergun approach - which brought a lot of costs and a lot of rewards.  Great time, but not as cheap as it might appear at first site.

Bison   
1 minute ago, Droy was my hero said:

We did it by buying every young player other clubs were interested in and paying a bit more.  The scouting was OK, but the market timing was terrific.  No surprise that we bought a mixture of diamonds and cut glass though.  We spent £5m - rising to £10m perhaps one day :) - on Piazon in 2012.who is still on our books.  Wallace Oliviera cost £5m in 2013.

Azpi cost £8m and Moses cost just over £10m about the same time.   (prices off wiki or transfrmarkt, and obvs no guarantees of accuracy).
Whie a lot of players got their wages subsidised for a few years.

It was a scattergun approach - which brought a lot of costs and a lot of rewards.  Great time, but not as cheap as it might appear at first site.

35m in transfer fee for Danny Drinkwater and  approx 28m salary over the five years. Similar sort of numbers for Bakayoko and a whole host of other rubbish.

I would much rather have carried on the scattergun approach with younger players instead of 80% of the signings we've made in the last 4+ years.

1 minute ago, Bison said:

35m in transfer fee for Danny Drinkwater and  approx 28m salary over the five years. Similar sort of numbers for Bakayoko and a whole host of other rubbish.

I would much rather have carried on the scattergun approach with younger players instead of 80% of the signings we've made in the last 4+ years.

It worked because young players were cheap, the football market was about to boom and we avoided specific risk by buying so many that some would have to work out.
They aren't cheap now.  I don't know what BM bid for CHO (no one does) but a £30m bid would not have been extraordinary a year ago.  For a player with much less evidence of greatness than Salah or KdB or Courtois or Lukaku had when we acquired them.  £30m is what we paid for Hazard (+ agent's fee...).

Yes we had a disastrous policy that lasted 3 windows from 2017-18.  Nevermind who was in charge, we had never done that kind of thing before and never since,

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I guess it's official then...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Chilwell

chillwell.png

It's official when the clubs announce it, not when a Wiki page anyone can edit/hack into says so (even if it ultimately turns out to be true) 😉

28 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

It's official when the clubs announce it, not when a Wiki page anyone can edit/hack into says so (even if it ultimately turns out to be true) 😉

My tongue was very much in my cheek Bob... 

35 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

My tongue was very much in my cheek Bob... 

Ah, OK. Apologies.

• Haha 1

paulw66   
2 hours ago, Bison said:

Ramsdale is 6'2. We obviously need a better goalkeeper than Kepa but one that's also taller with bigger reach.

I still can't get over us losing Bulka. He looked very promising in the pre-seaaon games that one year and is 6'6. He only signed a 2 year deal with PSG so who knows...

Funnily enough if Bulka had stayed, I reckon he'd have had a few games by now.... Barely featured at PSG