• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

2 hours ago, Bison said:

35m in transfer fee for Danny Drinkwater and  approx 28m salary over the five years. Similar sort of numbers for Bakayoko and a whole host of other rubbish.

I would much rather have carried on the scattergun approach with younger players instead of 80% of the signings we've made in the last 4+ years.

With any luck Conte will stay long enough at Inter to buy back all that **** he brought here. 

26 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Funnily enough if Bulka had stayed, I reckon he'd have had a few games by now.... Barely featured at PSG

Extremely annoying that Bulka left. It’s not even impossible that he’d have been given a few games this season considering how poor both Kepa and Willy has been. 

To be fair, I'm still not clear on who exactly wanted all those players we signed in the summer and winter of 2017 - Morata, Rüdiger, Zappacosta, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Barkley, Emerson, Giroud). As I recall, didn't Marina and co. refuse to back Conte to sign his first choice targets (Lukaku, Alex Sandro, etc.)? Is the general consensus that those (at least Morata, Drinkwater and Emerson) were mostly Conte's "Plan B" players or not his choices? Anyway, for all the talk about Barcelona's dreadful transfer business over the last few years, that season for us must rank up there. £250m on that lot.

Edited by Bridge Soldier

15 minutes ago, Bridge Soldier said:

As I recall, didn't Marina and co. refuse to back Conte to sign his first choice targets (Lukaku, Alex Sandro, etc.)?

There were leaks - I guess you have to decide whether they came from Marina or the Conte camp before you judge them.

16 minutes ago, Bridge Soldier said:

Is the general consensus that those (at least Morata, Drinkwater and Emerson) were mostly Conte's "Plan B" players or not his choices?

The general consensus is either that Conte was great and the club screwed him, or vice versus.
Logic doesn't enter into the consensus.
But most managers expect mostly plan B players.  And most managers are not full-time scouts so if given a choice they tend to prefer players from leagues they have recently been managing in.

33 minutes ago, Bridge Soldier said:

To be fair, I'm still not clear on who exactly wanted all those players we signed in the summer and winter of 2017 - Morata, Rüdiger, Zappacosta, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Barkley, Emerson, Giroud). As I recall, didn't Marina and co. refuse to back Conte to sign his first choice targets (Lukaku, Alex Sandro, etc.)? Is the general consensus that those (at least Morata, Drinkwater and Emerson) were mostly Conte's "Plan B" players or not his choices? Anyway, for all the talk about Barcelona's dreadful transfer business over the last few years, that season for us must rank up there. £250m on that lot.

That Morata gets included in these discussions these days tells us everything we need to know about the idea Conte was at all let down or not included by the board. Literally all of the press coverage at the time Morata signed was about him and Conte finally being united after years of Conte wanting to work with him. The idea Lukaku was his preferred signing emerged months after he was sacked (and after Morata had flopped ... But just before Lukaku's form collapsed).

Edited by thevelourfog

7 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Really?

Ordinary 

Maybe. However he would be a better option than what the club have at the moment and would probably give the club enough breathing space for a season to sound out a better No1. 

This summer is not the time to be paying stupid money for a keeper when the are more pressing parts of the team which require upgrading. Starting with a CB

29 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

That Morata gets included in these discussions these days tells us everything we need to know about the idea Conte was at all let down or not included by the board. Literally all of the press coverage at the time Morata signed was about him and Conte finally being united after years of Conte wanting to work with him. The idea Lukaku was his preferred signing emerged months after he was sacked (and after Morata had flopped ... But just before Lukaku's form collapsed).

I'm not so sure it took that long.  If I recall we heard about Morata only being No 2 earlier than that.  Which is a disgrace (whether you believe the club bad mouthing Morata or someone else bad mouthing the club).

Of course the early good news would have been produced by player & manager in combination with the PR department, and media are generally happy to buy into that until they get a better story.  And it fitted with the early 17/18 newsflow that Conte was replacing  Costa with someone better and was committed to Chelsea having just signed a big new contract.  That story soon got replace.  

4 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Maybe. However he would be a better option than what the club have at the moment and would probably give the club enough breathing space for a season to sound out a better No1. 

This summer is not the time to be paying stupid money for a keeper when the are more pressing parts of the team which require upgrading. Starting with a CB

A keeper is a must. How ever good your defenders are if the have an unconvincing kepa behind them they will always have doubts 

Ham   
5 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

A keeper is a must. How ever good your defenders are if the have an unconvincing kepa behind them they will always have doubts 

Just seen this link on NewsNow.  Unfortunately time is up for Kepa 😔

Screenshot_20200815-201047_Samsung Internet.jpg

paulw66   
1 hour ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

So you want us to spend the best part of 20m on a GK for one season until we find a better one?

If your GK is a 5/10 surely the aim isn't to buy the first 6/10 you can get.... We need a 9

• Like 1