• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

xCELERYx   
On 15/08/2020 at 4:19 AM, King Kante said:

Not a fan of Chilwell, he is of similar defensive ability to Alonso but with a better engine but lacks Alonso's goal scoring, crossing is probably a bit better. For me, this should only be happening for £35m or less. To be fair, Alonso isn't actually that bad at defending, his problem is that he is so slow so once someone gets in behind him he is scrambling as he cannot catch up. If he was faster I do not think we would really being having a discussion about a LB. 

That said, the fee needs to be reasonable. LB is actually a reasonable market you have Telles at £20-25m (he is similar to a Belletti type FB, which is kind of what most people want these days), Tags at Ajax for a similar price (I am not sold on him in the PL as he is too lightweight) and Rugulion from Real/Sevilla at £25-£30m who is very promising and have just been voted La Liga's best LB. 

Anything over £35m and we've been had. Personally, I would take either Telles or Rugulion above him. 

Here's how I see it.

For argument sake say we spend £60m (give or take) on Chilwell. At 23, he has the ability to possibly be our solution to the left back position for the next 7 seasons or so. The cost upfront is high but over the long term (if all goes to plan), may prove to be excellent value for money. If in the event Chilwell doesn't pan out as expected and we opt to move him on 3 or so years down the track, he'd still only be 27 or so with resale value. Even if we only managed to sell him off for half of what we paid (so, £30m in this example), he'd have only cost us a transfer fee of £30m for a three or so year period. This wouldn't be all too different to going out and spending £20-30 million on older heads like Telles or Tagliafico, both of which would also need 12 months to adapt and have little no to real resale value should they fail. Because of their ages, we'd also need to dip back into the market to look for replacements sooner rather than later - this could end up costing us more in the long term. 

As for the individual players themselves. Telles has excelled in a less than impressive league, where his penalty duties exaggerate his goal output and his defending isn't often put to the test. While a solid player, one would think a higher profiled European side would have well and truly be in for him over the years. I think this speaks volumes. Similar sentiment are attached to Tagliafico, who has played his career in Argentina and the Netherlands. While well rounded, he does't really excel in any particular area. Neither fit our timeline either.

Reguilon is getting a lot of hype right now, but he'll be 24 in December and has less than 50 top flight league appearances to his name. For someone approaching his mid-20's he's extremely inexperienced. I'd like to see a bit more consistency and reassurance that he isn't just a flash in the pan. We can't really afford to get burned once again in a position we haven't truly filled since A.Cole left.

Edited by xCELERYx
  • Thanks 1

xCELERYx   
13 hours ago, Bridge Soldier said:

Don't think Ramsdale is nearly good enough for us. There are other options out there I'm sure we're looking at.

Really hope one of them is Predrag Rajkovic.

Kezza   

Chilwell is a key player and a consistent starter putting consistent performances week in week out for a Leicester team which at one point looked like clinching top 4 this season.

35m and not better than Alonso. Not sure how some of you come out with that.

paulw66   
2 hours ago, Kezza said:

Chilwell is a key player and a consistent starter putting consistent performances week in week out for a Leicester team which at one point looked like clinching top 4 this season.

35m and not better than Alonso. Not sure how some of you come out with that.

By your own logic above..... Alonso was a consistent starter in a team that did get top 4.

Kezza   
29 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

By your own logic above..... Alonso was a consistent starter in a team that did get top 4.

Was he this season? So much so that he needed Cesar a right back to help him?

Rob B   
1 hour ago, Kezza said:

Was he this season? So much so that he needed Cesar a right back to help him?

Alonso made 29 appearances across all comps, Chilwell made 33 - so hard to argue their contributions were different. 

Their stats are quite similar across a lot of metrics in fact, and personally I don’t see Chilwell as a huge upgrade currently.  Perhaps however, given his age, he has got another gear, particularly with all of the attacking talent we are about to add.  There is no doubt he is quicker than Alonso and maybe that’s important to Frank and the team.  Most of what I have watched of Chilwell has been in an attacking capacity and I’m interested in whether he’s better defensively (for obvious reasons) and opinions seem fairly mixed.

Most important thing if we do sign him though, was that he was Frank and Petr’s first choice. If that is indeed the case, then he’s good enough for me

Edited by Rob B

paulw66   
10 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Alonso made 29 appearances across all comps, Chilwell made 33 - so hard to argue their contributions were different. 

Thank you

I agree with you, I don't see it as a huge upgrade, and for 50m, that's ridiculous

paulw66   
7 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Really hope one of them is Predrag Rajkovic.

Know nought about him. Can you enlighten us (me)?

9 hours ago, Ham said:

It really wouldn't surprise me if the source (perhaps inspiration would be a better word) for this story is this forum. 

Dunk is a well known Chelsea fan and a somewhat competent CB, so is going to be talked about by Chelsea fans. Anyone needing to write things those same Chelsea fans will want to read needs to stay abreast of what the fans are talking about.

49 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

It really wouldn't surprise me if the source (perhaps inspiration would be a better word) for this story is this forum. 

Dunk is a well known Chelsea fan and a somewhat competent CB, so is going to be talked about by Chelsea fans. Anyone needing to write things those same Chelsea fans will want to read needs to stay abreast of what the fans are talking about.

Yes and Foster is being mentioned too this morning in the paper's.