• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

paulw66   
9 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Which isn’t a ringing endorsement to be perfectly honest. But if the reports of us offering Stones a loan are true then I’d be all for it. Especially since we then can focus on a LB, GK and CB which will cost us in the region of £100m+ anyways. 

It's not, but like you say a loan, or a fee for around 20m, and you improve......that's a no brainer. 

1 minute ago, chelboy said:

I’m not even sure he’s better than Tomori tbh. His lapses of concentration are a major red flag for any CB. He looks more like a cdm to me. He also isn’t that good dealing with the physical side. 

Lapses in concentration - you could be talking about Tomori TBH. Or Rudiger. 

Not good dealing with the physical side - you could be talking about Christensen. 

Just my opinion, but Stones is better than all of them. Would he solve all our defensive problems though? No. 

59 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

He's better than all 4 of our CBs IMO 

Stones is wetter than all 4 of them,  Precisely what we do not want.
What we want is half the player, twice the man.

1 minute ago, Droy was my hero said:

Stones is wetter than all 4 of them,  Precisely what we do not want.
What we want is half the player, twice the man.

Dunk it is then 

10 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Ben White, John Stones, Declan Rice, Kai Havertz, Dean Henderson, plus, the two we've already signed - would that be a great window? 

Not for me regarding the first two. Ben White is a young John Stones. John Stones is an English Andreas Christensen. Neither are an improvement on what we already have.

Declan Rice? As a replacement for Jorginho but not as a centre back.

More than OK with the other two, though.

Rob B   

John Stone could be an incredibly shrewd signing. 

He's clearly lost his way at Man City and there is definitely a player there.  When you go back through his errors throughout his career, they tend to all revolve around over-playing at the back.  I know we like to play out from the back too, but arguably not as much as Man City, and therefore if this could be addressed through coaching or just maturity, then a loan deal or a £20m signing would be a no-brainer.  I don't agree with some of the comments above that say he is wet or lacks physicality - he's no Zouma, but is way more aggressive than Christensen and Tomori (currently)

Worst case scenario is that he replicates the Barkley signing where he will have to accept a squad role,  or he would be sold and we wouldn't lose money on him. 

Where I would draw the line on the signing however is if it was the only CB addition this window.  This only makes sense if it is to accompany another signing a la Dunk, Gimenez etc

xCELERYx   
21 minutes ago, Rob B said:

He's clearly lost his way at Man City and there is definitely a player there.  When you go back through his errors throughout his career, they tend to all revolve around over-playing at the back.  I know we like to play out from the back too, but arguably not as much as Man City, and therefore if this could be addressed through coaching or just maturity, then a loan deal or a £20m signing would be a no-brainer.  I don't agree with some of the comments above that say he is wet or lacks physicality - he's no Zouma, but is way more aggressive than Christensen and Tomori (currently)

Worst case scenario is that he replicates the Barkley signing where he will have to accept a squad role,  or he would be sold and we wouldn't lose money on him. 

Where I would draw the line on the signing however is if it was the only CB addition this window.  This only makes sense if it is to accompany another signing a la Dunk, Gimenez etc

Also look back over all of Man City's central defenders over the years, only two have really done a good job and improved - Kompany and Laporte. Even the latter has had his brain fades here and there. 

Central defenders don't seem to do well there for whatever reason. Stones would be worth the gamble because he'd still be sellable to another English side should he not pan out. For £20 million the reward outweighs the risk. 

23 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Also look back over all of Man City's central defenders over the years, only two have really done a good job and improved - Kompany and Laporte. Even the latter has had his brain fades here and there. 

Central defenders don't seem to do well there for whatever reason. Stones would be worth the gamble because he'd still be sellable to another English side should he not pan out. For £20 million the reward outweighs the risk. 

CBs (and GKs) are not designed to be ball players, if they could they would be midfielders. We need a commanding CB who will put the defence in order and throw himself into the fray

Ham   
1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Dunk it is then 

Tell me you meant this in response to the typo 😆

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

John Stones is an English Andreas Christensen.

Precisely put.  I'd add that Tomori is a young John Stones.

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Yes - for a club not in the top 4.  Zouma would be shrewder.

Leo91   

Thoughts on James Rodríguez if we can't get Havertz over the line