• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Bison   

If we want a CB that's physically weak and fragile, not good enough defensively but a somewhat capable passer why do we need Stones when our very own Christensen fits that role perfectly.

2 minutes ago, Bison said:

If we want a CB that's physically weak and fragile, not good enough defensively but a somewhat capable passer why do we need Stones when our very own Christensen fits that role perfectly.

Yeah, Stones is essentially like AC. Personally I am of the opinion that AC alongside a VvD would be a good player and I can see why reports say the club aren't keen on selling him as I could see him moving elsewhere and looking very good. However, Stones with AC has disaster written all over it. 

Bison   
4 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Yeah, Stones is essentially like AC. Personally I am of the opinion that AC alongside a VvD would be a good player and I can see why reports say the club aren't keen on selling him as I could see him moving elsewhere and looking very good. However, Stones with AC has disaster written all over it. 

I've seen this sentiment a few times (for Christensen and other bad players like Rudiger) and it just never makes much sense to me. The reality is we would be complaining and asking for a better partner to the superior player (VvD in this scenario).

We need defenders that don't need somebody else holding their hand and guiding them through games. Just get players capable of being good on their own merit and the partnership(s) will take care of itself.

2 minutes ago, Bison said:

I've seen this sentiment a few times (for Christensen and other bad players like Rudiger) and it just never makes much sense to me. The reality is we would be complaining and asking for a better partner to the superior player (VvD in this scenario).

We need defenders that don't need somebody else holding their hand and guiding them through games. Just get players capable of being good on their own merit and the partnership(s) will take care of itself.

I see your arguement but at CB it is all about partnerships and dynamics. Sometimes a player can look awful because of certain issues. AC for me falls into this category. 

When I watch AC I notice that he does a few things really well, namely step up to play offside (his problem here is the rest of the back line bar Dave, who have very poor awareness), further when he is the last player back, he usually keeps his position well and does the right thing. 

His biggest problem is his physicality and mental strength. However, if you had a VvD then they would take most of this on and play the offside trap with him properly. 

I am not saying AC is a world beater but I think with the right partner he would be a solid CB. Zouma and Rudi for me are just too poor in their positional work and reading of the game, so even if you played them with a VvD they would still do crazy sh*t like getting caught out of position on the half way line, skying the ball right into the air under no real pressure, allow the attacker to easily cut in on their stronger foot etc. 

chelboy   
17 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I see your arguement but at CB it is all about partnerships and dynamics. Sometimes a player can look awful because of certain issues. AC for me falls into this category. 

When I watch AC I notice that he does a few things really well, namely step up to play offside (his problem here is the rest of the back line bar Dave, who have very poor awareness), further when he is the last player back, he usually keeps his position well and does the right thing. 

His biggest problem is his physicality and mental strength. However, if you had a VvD then they would take most of this on and play the offside trap with him properly. 

I am not saying AC is a world beater but I think with the right partner he would be a solid CB. Zouma and Rudi for me are just too poor in their positional work and reading of the game, so even if you played them with a VvD they would still do crazy sh*t like getting caught out of position on the half way line, skying the ball right into the air under no real pressure, allow the attacker to easily cut in on their stronger foot etc. 

Even if you put AC beside a JT or VVD he wouldn’t be able to handle being targeted. That’s probably his biggest problem is when people start to directly go at him he starts getting rattled and more nervous as he loses more 50/50’s and duels. A partner can’t protect him from every situation and sometimes he is going to have to handle things one-on-one. Putting him alongside a VVD  makes him more of a target imo as they would rather go through him than VVD and he would crumble having to deal with that kind of pressure and bombardment. Best version of Christensen is when he plays in a back 5 formation. He has less duels to win and less physical work to do. That’s when you see his good covering skills. 

Ham   
1 hour ago, Leo91 said:

Thoughts on James Rodríguez if we can't get Havertz over the line 

Is he still playing football? Whatever happened to him?

chara   

So much interesting discussion reference CB's.....BUT..I do believe all of us here have been so influenced by the head above most others JT performances and years of excellence from him. An almost impossibly high bar for most of the players discussed.

Hard for us to balance views with JtTan ever present comparison however unconsciously...a song creeps in.."You Don't Know what You've Lost "till It's Gone"...but then again I guess we really do know...

Yes to Dunk, no to Stones (even on loan). Would take Thiago Silva in addition despite his age.

3 hours ago, Leo91 said:

Thoughts on James Rodríguez if we can't get Havertz over the line 

Would prefer Coutinho if we were dipping into the Barca/Real rejects bin.

paulw66   
8 minutes ago, Box of Tricks said:

Yes to Dunk, no to Stones (even on loan). Would take Thiago Silva in addition despite his age.

Turns 36 next month. 

In what world would it make sense to introduce a 36 year old CB to the fastest, most physical league in the world?

chelboy   
19 minutes ago, Box of Tricks said:

What has happened to Coutinho career? Seems a mess. His wages and fees are too high so he is likely to be going on loans until his contract runs out. Good player but can’t imagine Lamps being interested in him.