• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

23 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Turns 36 next month. 

In what world would it make sense to introduce a 36 year old CB to the fastest, most physical league in the world?

He can defend.

Rudiger, Stones and Christensen can't.

14 minutes ago, chelboy said:

What has happened to Coutinho career? Seems a mess. 

He got sold the weird Barcelona front three dream (just like Malcolm, Dembele and Griezmann) and threw everything away for it.

JaneB   
2 hours ago, Ham said:

Is he still playing football? Whatever happened to him?

https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/17/james-rodriguez-premier-league-transfer-man-utd-arsenal-real-madrid-13138183/

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Box of Tricks said:

He can defend.

Rudiger, Stones and Christensen can't.

Let's get JT back then

5 hours ago, chelboy said:

Even if you put AC beside a JT or VVD he wouldn’t be able to handle being targeted. That’s probably his biggest problem is when people start to directly go at him he starts getting rattled and more nervous as he loses more 50/50’s and duels. A partner can’t protect him from every situation and sometimes he is going to have to handle things one-on-one. Putting him alongside a VVD  makes him more of a target imo as they would rather go through him than VVD and he would crumble having to deal with that kind of pressure and bombardment. Best version of Christensen is when he plays in a back 5 formation. He has less duels to win and less physical work to do. That’s when you see his good covering skills. 

I don't necessarily disagree with this, however I still kind of hold hope for AC as I see a lot of good basics with him. If he was playing in Spain or Germany, I think there would be a lot of people that would want him here. 

I could be wrong in my assessment as I do get really annoyed (to put it mildly) with his lack of physical presence at times. However, I do think with a CB partner who could play the big brother role with him, he would be alright (which may mean him being a CB3/4 long term.) 

Personally, I prefer him to Rudi and Zouma who have to rely too much on the physical abilities to bail them out inability to play under a high press or reading of the game. That said, I appreciate I am probably in a minority on this issue! 

2 hours ago, chelboy said:

What has happened to Coutinho career? Seems a mess. His wages and fees are too high so he is likely to be going on loans until his contract runs out. Good player but can’t imagine Lamps being interested in him. 

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with a Coutinho or a Bale (or someone similar) on loan next year. For me, I really understood why SFL wanted to keep Willian around as currently our AM's are either: very young, injury prone, inconsistent or new to the league. Werner of course can play LWF but I think the idea is to play him as a CF. 

Further, with Coutinho and Bale both know the league and their clubs do not want them. Personally, I wouldn't take them on full wages but if you could get either on a similar structure to what Inter got Sanchez I.e. no loan fee and round 50% of their wages, I think they would be a good idea. 

Kezza   

Surely Ampadu can replace Christensen or anyone of Rudiger/Zouma as a CB next season?

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Let's get JT back then

If he's also looked the part in a Champions League quarter-final five days ago then sure, why not.

13 minutes ago, Kezza said:

Surely Ampadu can replace Christensen or anyone of Rudiger/Zouma as a CB next season?

He's 1m 82 (6ft 0in)... so not even as tall as Tomori who is the shortest of our four current centre backs. Hardly got any game time at Leipzig last season.

37 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

He's 1m 82 (6ft 0in)... so not even as tall as Tomori who is the shortest of our four current centre backs. Hardly got any game time at Leipzig last season.

And that is with his barnet. I suspect he is more like 5'10"/5'11", he certainly looks significantly shorter than most CB's he stands next to. 

Personally, I think his long term future is in DM but it is hard to tell at the moment as he has been injured so often. I can see him in DM as his passing is pretty good and if the game requires it he can drop back and essentially become the central defender is a back 5/3. 

I am a big Amapdu fan as I think he has a lot of talent. However, he really needs to start playing games for us to tell.