• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Just now, paulw66 said:

You say that, but he didn't start a PL game in 2020

Well he was dropped initially due to mistakes, that seemed clear. I think Lamps wanted a consistent pairing but after the restart Rüdiger and Christensen had such poor games he had no choice but to change things up and I'd have been shocked if Tomori hadn't got a chance. But he was injured. 

22 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

It's a very interesting point. Part of the reason (ignoring his playing days) that SFL has been so popular is that we have a manager finally giving a chance to the academy players. The new signings (and reported targets) are going to severely negatively impact their game time. Especially Tammy, and possibly Mount to a lesser degree.

Still, won't it be refreshing to have genuine competition for places , keeping everyone on their toes?

paulw66   
Just now, Mark Kelly said:

Still, won't it be refreshing to have genuine competition for places , keeping everyone on their toes?

Of course........it will be nteresting to see how they react to it. They all make the right noises in the press (they are well versed) about being happy we are buying top players.......... the real proof in the pudding is how they respond. 

bert19   
27 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Of course........it will be nteresting to see how they react to it. They all make the right noises in the press (they are well versed) about being happy we are buying top players.......... the real proof in the pudding is how they respond. 

I think a few of them really need that competition for places.  The worry of being dropped could be highly beneficial for one or two.  It could also help us identify those that have the mentality required for success and those that don't very quickly. 

9 hours ago, King Kante said:

Imo, if the club had been planning on shifting Luiz, Amapdu would've stayed rather than Tomori as Amapdu can play the central CB position properly owing to his passing range. Luiz was obviously meant to do this but things went south. 

I think along with a few other players that got minutes for the first team, Ampadu's ability to play PL football has been seriously over estimated by the fans.  
We have just seen what going on  loan has done to James, Tomori, Mount and Abraham.  With 2/3 year loanees Mount and Abraham looking the most ready.
I don't think nowadays any of our youngsters is ready to ply a significant part, even CB4, without a year or two on loan  (or rather I should say 50 starts on loan).

bert19   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think along with a few other players that got minutes for the first team, Ampadu's ability to play PL football has been seriously over estimated by the fans.  
We have just seen what going on  loan has done to James, Tomori, Mount and Abraham.  With 2/3 year loanees Mount and Abraham looking the most ready.
I don't think nowadays any of our youngsters is ready to ply a significant part, even CB4, without a year or two on loan  (or rather I should say 50 starts on loan).

Which makes Ampadu's lack of minutes on loan last season so frustrating.  Imagine if he'd got 30 starts under his belt somewhere like Vitesse, Leeds etc etc 

In comparison, Guehi has got what, 10-15 games under his belt at Swansea? (after not playing initially) I bet he's learned A LOT in that time

Edited by bert19

3 hours ago, bert19 said:

I think a few of them really need that competition for places.  The worry of being dropped could be highly beneficial for one or two.  It could also help us identify those that have the mentality required for success and those that don't very quickly. 

Agreed. Do we think Lampard would have become the player he did if he hadn't suddenly had to be outperforming not only superstars at the club but also the superstars we could have, at that point, easily brought in? I doubt it. Having to hold his own up against Ziyech, Havertz etc. could be the best thing to happen to Mount.

Although I personally have my doubts that Havertz will be here. Lots of the window to go but seems pretty clear that the journalists mouthing off about how close a deal is for the last month haven't had any actual knowledge. 

1 hour ago, bert19 said:

Which makes Ampadu's lack of minutes on loan last season so frustrating.  Imagine if he'd got 30 starts under his belt somewhere like Vitesse, Leeds etc etc 

In comparison, Guehi has got what, 10-15 games under his belt at Swansea? (after not playing initially) I bet he's learned A LOT in that time

Yes, Which possibly puts Guehi back ahead of Ampadu in the pecking order.  Though both need another season in the Championship.

Everyone is impressed with Dunk's performances in the Prem for the past 3 seasons.  But they are the only seasons in the Prem he has had.  282 League appearances, starting in Div One, then 164 in the Championship and then the Prem.  
VVD - Erdevise and Scotland until he was 24.
Harry MacGuire -  Div One with Sheff United,  Championship on loan or with Hull and then his first PL season at 23 (only 3 prior PL games).

Regular games in the prem and the odd England cap before you are 21 turns you into John Stones.

(When Guehi and Ampadu do break through in the Prem, I don't want to see them standing up bravely to adult CFs.  I want to see them bullying adult CFs.)

paulw66   
4 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Regular games in the prem and the odd England cap before you are 21 turns you into John Stones.

Or JT?