• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Or JT?

Except JT didn't actually play much until he was 20 or for England until he was 22.  And he did (briefly) go on loan to the old Div 1 for 6 games.
Not nearly as young as people think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Diddymen said:

Newcastle?

Leeds apparently 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bison   
20 minutes ago, Diddymen said:

surprised Palace are not interested

I'm not surprised. They've had him before so they know just how bad he is first hand.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Diddymen   
23 minutes ago, Bison said:

I'm not surprised. They've had him before so they know just how bad he is first hand.

ouch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Except JT didn't actually play much until he was 20 or for England until he was 22.  And he did (briefly) go on loan to the old Div 1 for 6 games.
Not nearly as young as people think.

Stones had 24 games in the Championship, then played 21 PL games in 2013/14 when he was 19. 

JT had 6 games in the Championship, a handful of Chelsea games aged 18/19 then played 22 PL games in 2000/01 aged 19 (turned 20 that December).

The career trajectories are almost identical, except Stones had more games at a parent club, Barnsley, than JT did on loan at Forest.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think along with a few other players that got minutes for the first team, Ampadu's ability to play PL football has been seriously over estimated by the fans.  
We have just seen what going on  loan has done to James, Tomori, Mount and Abraham.  With 2/3 year loanees Mount and Abraham looking the most ready.
I don't think nowadays any of our youngsters is ready to ply a significant part, even CB4, without a year or two on loan  (or rather I should say 50 starts on loan).

I think me an you are on the same wavelength when it comes to the young boys and the loans, so in principle what you're saying I agree with. Virtually all of the young players that we have should have three to four year loans between the ages of 18-22 to get them minutes and experience. 

However, last season was an anomaly in that we couldn't buy anyone and Amapdu was (and in my mind, still is) one of the better youth products. What was most frustrating with the RB loan was, when he did play, he got really good reviews so his lack of minutes was necessarily down to a lack of ability, it was because RB already have some very good defenders and he wasn't getting a place ahead of them, whilst I think his size causes concern. However, why we didn't send him to Villa (who were very keen) or Cardiff/Swansea is a head scratcher as they could've done with him. 

As for last season, I think he would've stayed if the Luiz situation was planned for. I say this because he has pretty high ball playing abilities for a CB which means you can play a 343 properly as the real issue we had with that formation last season was the lack of a ball playing CB who could pass out and set the tempo. Otherwise, as you have pointed out at times with the 343, you end up with too many CB's, which is why you need the middle one to essentially be good enough on the ball to be able to step into DMF with the ball. 

This coming season, he does need to go out on loan but that is because we can buy again and he has lost another season of playing minutes with men. 

Edited by King Kante

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Stones had 24 games in the Championship, then played 21 PL games in 2013/14 when he was 19. 

JT had 6 games in the Championship, a handful of Chelsea games aged 18/19 then played 22 PL games in 2000/01 aged 19 (turned 20 that December).

The career trajectories are almost identical, except Stones had more games at a parent club, Barnsley, than JT did on loan at Forest.  

That sounds like 1 season in the Championship plus one season in the prem before JT had reached a dozen games (half in the Championship).

 

1 hour ago, King Kante said:

I think me an you are on the same wavelength when it comes to the young boys and the loans, so in principle what you're saying I agree with. Virtually all of the young players that we have should have three to four year loans between the ages of 18-22 to get them minutes and experience. 

However, last season was an anomaly in that we couldn't buy anyone and Amapdu was (and in my mind, still is) one of the better youth products. What was most frustrating with the RB loan was, when he did play, he got really good reviews so his lack of minutes was necessarily down to a lack of ability, it was because RB already have some very good defenders and he wasn't getting a place ahead of them, whilst I think his size causes concern. However, why we didn't send him to Villa (who were very keen) or Cardiff/Swansea is a head scratcher as they could've done with him. 

As for last season, I think he would've stayed if the Luiz situation was planned for. I say this because he has pretty high ball playing abilities for a CB which means you can play a 343 properly as the real issue we had with that formation last season was the lack of a ball playing CB who could pass out and set the tempo. Otherwise, as you have pointed out at times with the 343, you end up with too many CB's, which is why you need the middle one to essentially be good enough on the ball to be able to step into DMF with the ball. 

This coming season, he does need to go out on loan but that is because we can buy again and he has lost another season of playing minutes with men. 

We aren't far apart.  But I do think young players should always be given Championship games over opportunities to sit around the first team squad.  That either gives them unreasonable expectations or disillusions them quickly.
I think a mistake was made with Ampadu - either that the club overestimated his chances of games at RB, or underestimated just how good RB are.  All the more reason not to make the same mistake this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   

From the official Chelsea website today. The "current Bayer Leverkusen man". What an absolute wind up.

*Since removed as I bet BL weren't impressed. 

 

*I tell a lie.  It's still there on Chelsea Twitter. 

Screenshot_20200818-201929_Twitter.jpg

Edited by Ham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now