• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

xCELERYx   
15 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Silvas legs have gone, if you play a high defensive line he cannot cope and the line creeps backwards. In his day he was excellent, his day was ten years ago. 

That's is just a touch exaggerated. Sure, Thiago Silva hasn't got the same pep in his step of his prime years, but he's also not getting around with concrete filled boots either. 

People also forget just how well he reads the play ahead and subsequently is able to get himself into the right positions early. Great positional play goes a long way to helping offset a lack of speed. He's been one of the finest I've seen in this regard. 

Silva was also like 25/26 when he made the move to Europe. He doesn't necessarily have the same miles on the legs like most other central defenders who've been in Europe for the majority of their careers do. This shouldn't be overlooked. 

I think he's a smart signing and will do just fine. I'd rather have us play a little deeper defensively if needed, then play high and watch the likes of Zouma look completely bewildered on where they need to be until it's too late. 

Also for whatever it's worth, highlights this past season.

12 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Really.  I would imagine that one of the basics of a management doing its best to assist the team is when you score more than your fair share at corners and concede less.  By that token the management is crap.
I'd also suggest that if senior players like Kepa, Rudiger, Christensen, Kante, Jorginho all play significantly worse that they did the previous year, then management have to take a big chunk of responsibility for that.

A nice list of players to be shipped out, All guilty of consistant errors during the season,( with others) playing in roles they seen unsuitable for . None of which have a long term future. So why keep them ? Maybe a bit harsh on Kante in an injury hit season, but he has lost the ability to keep the ball after winning it consistantly

Too much has been made of the coaching over too short a time period. Take the Guardiola history at City , he has spent an enourmous amount on defence in his time and  has seemingly failed to improve a a fair few of them. They still rely heavily on a passable Goal keeper and Fenhandiniho "taking one for the team" Not much coaching improvement there, just buy more.

At the moment not sure Frank needs help with coaching as much as he does players that will work with him and his team.

Also not sure we have stopped "Winning" The only thing that has changed is the structure, constant rotation of Managers/Coaches have had a short term impact on the Trophy side but negative on the long term .Its not sustainable  and the club have taken steps to attempt to change that you of all people are aware of the dross on the books built up over the last 5 years.

The next 2 seasons will be a better time to form a view overall, That the bigger picture , Not that it should or will absolve Frank n  co from critisism on a match by match basis.

48 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Just no.  The players weren't available last year - they are a bonus (as is the much bigger squad).

So the positives within the squad - the young players given a chance in the first team and making a difference is nothing to do with the manager? 2 of those young players were coached by him last season remember.

But the negatives, the older/more experienced players, who underperformed were because of bad coaching?

I'm just wanting to clarify your point on this.

Out of interest, if the younger players had flopped, would that have been bad management?

1 hour ago, southcoastal said:

A nice list of players to be shipped out, All guilty of consistant errors during the season,( with others) playing in roles they seen unsuitable for . None of which have a long term future. So why keep them ? Maybe a bit harsh on Kante in an injury hit season, but he has lost the ability to keep the ball after winning it consistantly

I'm sure Sarri at RM would grab them.

Too much has been made of the coaching over too short a time period. Take the Guardiola history at City , he has spent an enourmous amount on defence in his time and  has seemingly failed to improve a a fair few of them. They still rely heavily on a passable Goal keeper and Fenhandiniho "taking one for the team" Not much coaching improvement there, just buy more.

It is a bit odd that "pep wasn't all that good when he started has become a defence of SFL.

At the moment not sure Frank needs help with coaching as much as he does players that will work with him and his team.

Corners.  If you can't get comers right in the Prem (or Championship) you are 5 to 10 goals worse off at both ends which means about 10 points.

Also not sure we have stopped "Winning" The only thing that has changed is the structure, constant rotation of Managers/Coaches have had a short term impact on the Trophy side but negative on the long term .Its not sustainable  and the club have taken steps to attempt to change that you of all people are aware of the dross on the books built up over the last 5 years.

The next 2 seasons will be a better time to form a view overall, That the bigger picture , Not that it should or will absolve Frank n  co from critisism on a match by match basis.

What wee stopped doing was having results match performances.  That was especially true at the start of the season (think the Man U 4-0), but conceding easily while dominating has lasted all year.

As for "rotation of managers" being an issue.  4 of our 5 PL titles have come with a new manager.  The CL followed 2 managerial changes in the season.
It is why I keep going on about Jockeys.  A winning jockey is not the same as a stable jockey that keeps the horse fit and watered.  Sometimes they need to be driven to the edge.

And who gives a damn about "sustainability".  Arsenal's team has been sustainable for 15 years - sustainably consistent.  If the budget is limited to sub PSG/City levels I want a yoyo team that peaks and troughs, and I don't care how deep the troughs are if there is a PL or CL every 4 years.  2015/16 was a great year in terms of getting back to winning stuff.  I'm very happy to take that year in context of the year before and after.

The next two seasons are not the time to form a view - they are the seasons where we should be looking to win stuff.

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

So the positives within the squad - the young players given a chance in the first team and making a difference is nothing to do with the manager? 2 of those young players were coached by him last season remember.

You compare like for like.  That is normal.

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Out of interest, if the younger players had flopped, would that have been bad management?

No - the credit for Tammy being Tammy and Mount being Mount mostly lies with Tammy and Mount.

Edited by Droy was my hero

3 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

You compare like for like.  That is normal.

No - the credit for Tammy being Tammy and Mount being Mount mostly lies with Tammy and Mount.

So players performing well is down to them, but players not performing well are down to the coaching. Got ya.

4 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

So players performing well is down to them, but players not performing well are down to the coaching. Got ya.

Bizarre interpretation of what I have said.  

10 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Everything he thinks is built upon the shaky foundations that the club is buying all these players because they're wanting to replace Lampard so are building a top side for a top coach. 

It's apparent that this is not happening. 

It's like arguing that Conte was unhappy at Chelsea due to not being backed to his satisfaction in the transfer market being twisted by one person into Conte trying to get the Real Madrid job which was then used whenever the opportunity arose ever afterwards as a stick to beat him with. 

It was a fantastic Goebbels-esque demonstration of propaganda becoming the truth when repeated ad nauseum. 

30 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Bizarre interpretation of what I have said.  

Then just say what you mean, because I don’t see what else you could be implying.