• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Then you mean part funded.
We are still spending like a rocket while everyone else is being very cautious. I get that there is a context where we have underspent recently  but there is also a context where we seem to be the only club throwing fresh money into football.

I believe the club trying to be smart in utilizing the current market situation to buy player without very little competition from other clubs and FFP rule relations.

I do agree with your philosophy of previous squad rebuild, that the otlay this window will not be done again and it is more than likely future outlay will be frugal for alignment with FFP. The squad assembled now will be the core for the next 5 years with the expectation of delivering silverware and titles. "regardless of the head coach"

9 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Why nit pick?

Did this pass the BBC Politically correct saying? :0)

bert19   
8 hours ago, chara said:

Has Herr Klopp checked who his boss is of late?..and has he checked the Nationality etc of the "Ruling Classes" of EPL Clubs?

Although I lived in relatively close proximity to Liverpool at one time I'm not familiar with Fenway as a district of Scouseland!...however a Summer spent in Massachusetts did bring Fenway to my attention...funny that. 

Yes. Funny how he fails to acknowledge his wages are paid by a big company with interests in more than one state/country/continent.

To be fair though, I’d be pissed off if I was the Manager and 5 years of work, resulting in delivering the CL & PL in consecutive seasons had resulted in the owners telling me I didn’t have a bean to spend on improving the squad as my rivals go out and buy quality. Anything not to mention that though. That their owners are taking money out of the club despite big profits the last two years. Have the media questioned that at all?

He’s getting his excuses in early. And the interviewer (Dalglish’s daughter) is happy with his narrative. Plucky Liverpool, never spent any money for all of their success. 
(Her Dad was a British record transfer fee btw).

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Rob said "most" not all

Again, why nit pick?

I mean, it’s sort of his thing.... 

13 hours ago, Bridge Soldier said:

Wait, am I understanding you correctly here? There are quite a few Chelsea sides where a 31 year old Thiago Silva wouldn't have even been 3rd choice?

The usual typical outlandish statement from him, when its a certainty he has only ever seen him play when up against us!

So it looks like Mendy is the endorsed signing from the GK department. I have never seen him play, so no idea what he is like. He looks like he will come and claim set pieces and corners, which should be a massive help.

Not sure what he is like in terms of ability to play out from the back. Kepa is half decent at that, though he did still make a few errors in this department. Hopefully, Mendy is comfortable with the ball at his feet as they way we played at times last season, he is going to need to have some ball skills and technical ability.

Concerns for me that when I think of African footballers, I never really think of quality GK's in African national teams! That's a bit of a sweeping statement, but I cannot really think of a high quality African goalkeeper in the last 20 years ?? I suppose you could argue he is as much French as he is African though.

Ham   
24 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

So it looks like Mendy is the endorsed signing from the GK department. I have never seen him play, so no idea what he is like. He looks like he will come and claim set pieces and corners, which should be a massive help.

Not sure what he is like in terms of ability to play out from the back. Kepa is half decent at that, though he did still make a few errors in this department. Hopefully, Mendy is comfortable with the ball at his feet as they way we played at times last season, he is going to need to have some ball skills and technical ability.

Concerns for me that when I think of African footballers, I never really think of quality GK's in African national teams! That's a bit of a sweeping statement, but I cannot really think of a high quality African goalkeeper in the last 20 years ?? I suppose you could argue he is as much French as he is African though.

Literally, according to Wikipedia 😉*

20200910_013327.jpg

* Recently amended back to 6'6"

Edited by Ham

paulw66   
20 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

You're spot. You think of African players, and you think of skillfull players like Okocha or Eto'o or powerful players (not allowed anymore) like Drogba and Essien.

I can't think of one top class African keeper - ever! Maybe they are due, and it's this guy! Kameni is the only one that springs to mind. 

paulw66   
15 minutes ago, Ham said:

Literally according to Wikipedia 😉*

20200910_013327.jpg

* Recently amended back to 6'6"

At 8"11 , the low shots between the legs would worry me! 

bert19   
7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

At 8"11 , the low shots between the legs would worry me! 

Surely we can get a Goalie kit that incorporates a long coat as part of the look? 😄

• Like 1

Ham   
3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

You're spot. You think of African players, and you think of skillfull players like Okocha or Eto'o or powerful players (not allowed anymore) like Drogba and Essien.

I can't think of one top class African keeper - ever! Maybe they are due, and it's this guy! Kameni is the only one that springs to mind. 

Without wishing to be stereotypical, and much the same as in heavyweight boxing, many tall, athletic black youngsters would not automatically think "goalkeeper".  More likely to think "basketball".

In America, and aside from the awful, shirt in a washing machine fighter that is Deontay Wilder, there hasn't been a top ranked black heavyweight for many years and this is because strong, heavyweight black youngsters tend to choose America football instead because of the sheer number of opportunities open to them at the numerous clubs and the huge sums of money available.