• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Ham   
2 minutes ago, bert19 said:

Surely we can get a Goalie kit that incorporates a long coat as part of the look? 😄

If he chose to wear a long skirt, who'd dare question it in today's society?

• Haha 1

paulw66   
Just now, Ham said:

Without wishing to be stereotypical, and much the same as in heavyweight boxing, many tall, athletic black youngsters would not automatically think "goalkeeper".  More likely to think "basketball".

In America, and aside from the awful, shirt in a washing machine fighter that is Deontay Wilder, there hasn't been a top ranked black heavyweight for many years and this is because strong, heavyweight black youngsters tend to choose America football instead because of the sheer number of opportunities open to them at the numerous clubs and the huge sums of money available. 

it's a very good point.

I read an article in Sport Magazine a few years ago about nature v nurture. Basically saying there are social reasons why we have such a high number of long distance runners from Ethiopia, sprinters from Jamaica, that sort of thing. Example, if Usain Bolt had been born in the US, he would have been bulked up and turned into wide receiver. 

bert19   
11 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

it's a very good point.

I read an article in Sport Magazine a few years ago about nature v nurture. Basically saying there are social reasons why we have such a high number of long distance runners from Ethiopia, sprinters from Jamaica, that sort of thing. Example, if Usain Bolt had been born in the US, he would have been bulked up and turned into wide receiver. 

Lets be thankful he was born in Jamaica then! His talent, charisma and superstar factor deserved a lot more than just being another guy in a helmet in the most tedious sport going. 

paulw66   
9 minutes ago, bert19 said:

Lets be thankful he was born in Jamaica then! His talent, charisma and superstar factor deserved a lot more than just being another guy in a helmet in the most tedious sport going. 

I "met" him once at 8am in the morning outside Clapham South tube. He was on his way back from a big night out with a girl under his arm and I was on my way to work. It was the most surreal experience, as I looked at him and thought, "I recognise you".....it was only going down the escalators that I realised who it was. I got to work and googled him and sure enough the latest news was pictures of him in Mahiki the night before in the same clothes. 

The only decent African keeper I can remember was Antoine-Bell who played for the Cameroon side and club sides in France , he was good.

I'm hoping Cech knows a good keeper when he sees one. 6'6" is a good height for a keeper . The importance of picking out crosses and corners with our CBs can't be understated. The super expensive high profile keeper purchase didn't go that well for us so maybe this is the route to go.

9 hours ago, Ham said:

Wasn't the Hazard money entered into fact on the back of another issue last week?

£143m.  

Add on the Morata money and "part funded" = 90% or so.

Why so petty?

Was it? Have you read it?  Seen the original source?  Does it sound credible?  Would they ever have had access to the actual details?

The £100m everyone said was fact (on no basis whatsoever) looked very optimistic.

If I recall we started this conversation with a moan as to why no one was acknowledging that we were just spending the Hazard and Morata money.  So that is my answer - no one believes your numbers.

paulw66   
16 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Was it? Have you read it?  Seen the original source?  Does it sound credible?  Would they ever have had access to the actual details?

The £100m everyone said was fact (on no basis whatsoever) looked very optimistic.

If I recall we started this conversation with a moan as to why no one was acknowledging that we were just spending the Hazard and Morata money.  So that is my answer - no one believes your numbers.

I believe, whatever the precise numbers, selling Morata and Hazard has paid for the majority of Havertz, Werner and Ziyech 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/attempted-scam-reveals-hazard-fee-transfer-could-cost-real-up-to-euro-160m/view/news/369803 

Edited by paulw66

4 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

I believe the club trying to be smart in utilizing the current market situation to buy player without very little competition from other clubs and FFP rule relations.

I do agree with your philosophy of previous squad rebuild, that the otlay this window will not be done again and it is more than likely future outlay will be frugal for alignment with FFP. The squad assembled now will be the core for the next 5 years with the expectation of delivering silverware and titles. "regardless of the head coach"

Yes

2 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

So it looks like Mendy is the endorsed signing from the GK department.

44 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I'm hoping Cech knows a good keeper when he sees one. 

So it's been Lochillon's decision, the GK department and Cech's.  None of which involve the Scouts as far as I can see.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

it's a very good point.

(Ham's point).  Yes.  Renaldo Nehemaih - world record hurdler who interrupted his career for 4 years trying to be a wide receiver.  He did win the US Superstars competition a record 4 times (remember that, a cross between the Decathlon and It's a Knockout) as a result of bulking up for Football.  so maybe that worked out well for him.

43 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

So it's been Lochillon's decision, the GK department and Cech's.  None of which involve the Scouts as far as I can see.

Christophe Lollichon has been at the club since November 2007... time you spelt his name correctly, don't you think?