• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

1 hour ago, bert19 said:

Simon Johnson has posted that his sources have told them this isn't true and no one at the club wants to sell Giroud & he seems happy to stay.

I can think of half a dozen players I'd be trying to move on before I looked to sell Giroud tbh. Doesn't ring true that the club would be looking to sell a senior player with the qualities he has right now

Or:  I can think of a full dozen players harder to shift than Giroud.  It rings true that the only one attracting any interest is a senior (short contract) player with his qualities.

But yes, it does seem that this hack idea has come from "who might Juve buy with Higuain gone" rather than who Chelsea might sell

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Mendy deal close according to Fabrizio Romano

He be available for the dippers game "that's being thrown into the deep end"

10 hours ago, Rob B said:

If true, bit of a head scratcher?

From a utility perspective yes, but then again I reckon it is far more important to keep Abraham and Werner happy at the club as they represent the future.

9 hours ago, Diddymen said:

I can’t believe we have only asked for 5million euros 

I don't think it is a question of what we have asked. At this stage of Girouds career most of the value of his contract belongs to him and not the club. For us there is essentially a salary cost attached. The transfer fee is now almost exclusively intertwined with Girouds salary and that is his asset. 

So the price for an ageinig player is always (well almost always) low in fees, high in wages/signing on fees. 

bert19   
3 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

The club is probably doing its best to loan out a number of players, it might however be a case of that there are issued with costs based on Covid which intern will go away nearer to the deadline. You also have the scenario of teams not performing or getting injuries during the opening 3 or 4 games of the season and needing reinforcements. "Ready for the Mr Burgundy show on transfer deadline day" 

Well, of course.  I'm expecting some movement over the next two to three weeks.  Hoping we can sell at least a couple permanently however.  Gets us closer to a minimal net spend for all of our business, wages off the bill etc.  Or even frees up a few funds for a Rice-like purchase near the end of the window.  

No doubt we'll get the usual Sky Sports nonsense to go with deadline day too.  

Bit harsh on Ron Burgundy your comparison though 😉

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Mendy deal close according to Fabrizio Romano

Just as an aside.

Mendy wears the 16 jersey at Rennes. The only available number before you get to the 25 & 26 of Zola and JT is... yes, you've guessed; 16

paulw66   
5 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Just as an aside.

Mendy wears the 16 jersey at Rennes. The only available number before you get to the 25 & 26 of Zola and JT is... yes, you've guessed; 16

Good spot, detective.

Good to see you back, by the way Bob. 

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Just as an aside.

Good thinking. Declan Rice wears 41, which is also free...

1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

Good thinking. Declan Rice wears 41, which is also free...

But Pulisic got 10 so I guess no Messi this year (unless he want's Billy Gilmour's old shirt - it'll fit)

Edited by Droy was my hero

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Good spot, detective.

Good to see you back, by the way Bob. 

Thanks Paul. I wander in from time to time. Had C-19 back in March after a week at ExCel covering a busy international exhibition there and I'm still feeling it now (loss of appetite, nausea, shortness of breath, ache everywhere and have now developed arrhythmia... it's a f****er when you're 60. Brother in law who was 54 died of it back in April).

I've seen Mendy play a few times (I follow French football a bit) and he's tall, so he should be OK on crosses. My worry is that when making some saves he tends to push the ball out rather than away, giving attackers following up a chance they shouldn't really get.

Mind you, if bringing him in gets Kepa to up his game, then great. He had a poor season but he also had a poor defence in front of him, with (from a defensive point of view) a poor midfield ahead of them, leaving them exposed far too often.