• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

16 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Am I the only one that thinks Mendy looks absolutely terrible?

Addmiditly it's only YouTube but even in his 'best of' videos he looks ****. Dont think I've seen one good save.

Nope, I said myself I was unimpressed and we should have bought Martinez. He's tall  that's it as far as I can see. Still I expect a blue wheely bin would prove as good as Kepa so.... 

25 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Am I the only one that thinks Mendy looks absolutely terrible?

Addmiditly it's only YouTube but even in his 'best of' videos he looks ****. Dont think I've seen one good save.

Shhh.
I can't remember a keeper that looked better than Kepa for ages.  Ryan was worse on Monday.  I see Cabs had a virtually identical save % last year to Kepa.  The idea that we are going to get a better keeper from mid table France is pretty naive I reckon when mid-table prem looks no improvement.

I think a much more interesting idea to investigate is why so many keepers look crap right now.  There surely must be a reason.

11 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Nope, I said myself I was unimpressed and we should have bought Martinez. He's tall  that's it as far as I can see. Still I expect a blue wheely bin would prove as good as Kepa so.... 

Martinez would have been a gamble, spent a long time not playing football, even when on loan in the championship for various clubs but did look very good after the restart.

However there is probably a reason for this and a reason why he's ended up at Villa.

He did however make some god saves towards the end of the season, which is more than I have seen from Mendy.

4 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Shhh.
I can't remember a keeper that looked better than Kepa for ages.  Ryan was worse on Monday.  I see Cabs had a virtually identical save % last year to Kepa.  The idea that we are going to get a better keeper from mid table France is pretty naive I reckon when mid-table prem looks no improvement.

I think a much more interesting idea to investigate is why so many keepers look crap right now.  There surely must be a reason.

There are a small handful of keepers that are better than Kepa, not that it says a lot but none of them are realistically available.

Look at the apparent best keepers in the league, none of them are particularly great, even Alisson who is seen by many as the best in the league, he's far from a great keeper but gets away with it because they are so good. Ederson? Average at best. De Gea? Utterly useless. Leno? Not terrible but that's about it. The only one in think is half decent is Schmeichel.

Kepa under Sarri was just about as good as any of them, under Lampard when we can't defended to save our lives, he and the defence look a nervous wreck, he wasnt great but improving the whole back line should be far easier than replacing him.

Ham   
1 hour ago, chelboy said:

Couldn’t care too much about distribution if I'm honest, keeping the balls out the net is far more important. I would be surprised if Mendy is worse than Kepa because that is pretty hard to do unless you are literally throwing them in. I reckon we could even find a GK from League one that is better than Kepa. 

I was watching Plovdiv v Tottdivs earlier and the Bulgarian keeper came out against a prem team and caught corners.  

I thought he was some kind of genius.

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Shhh.

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

There are a small handful of keepers that are better than Kepa, not that it says a lot but none of them are realistically available.

Look at the apparent best keepers in the league, none of them are particularly great, even Alisson who is seen by many as the best in the league, he's far from a great keeper but gets away with it because they are so good. Ederson? Average at best. De Gea? Utterly useless. Leno? Not terrible but that's about it. The only one in think is half decent is Schmeichel.

Kepa under Sarri was just about as good as any of them, under Lampard when we can't defended to save our lives, he and the defence look a nervous wreck, he wasnt great but improving the whole back line should be far easier than replacing him.

Sorry but this I can’t agree with. Personally I think there are at least 8 keepers who are clearly better than Kepa in the league alone. 

In no particular order;

Alison, Ederson, Lloris, De Gea, Leno, Schmeichel, Henderson and Patricio. 

Then we have a whole host of keepers who are better or just about the same;

Foster, Pope, Pickford, Gazzinaga, Ramsdale, Fabianski, Krul, Ryan, Dubravka and Guaita. 

This is the PL alone. Off form he’s worse than pretty much every one of these names. Even when Kepa is having a good season by his standards there are 8 keepers clearly better than him. I’m at an absolute loss how anyone can defend him. The worst part is that none of these keepers cost their club £71m. Alison cost Liverpool around £60m and Ederson cost City £35m. After that we have Pickford at £25m. There’s no other way to look at this, we’ve been taken to the cleaners big time. 

Edited by The_Ghost

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Shhh.

Rennes were a mid table team when we bought Cech from them.

Maybe if you watched a bit of football, read a bit about football instead of puffing your chest out and talking bollocks, you might not make such an arse of yourself so often!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Rennes were a mid table team when we bought Cech from them.

Maybe if you watched a bit of football, read a bit about football instead of puffing your chest out and talking bollocks, you might not make such an arse of yourself so often!

And no one thought he was being bought as No1 keeper then either.
Certainly I heard no one say that he must be an improvement on Cuducini because he was a mid-table French keeper.  
Maybe...  oh well why bother.

15 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Sorry but this I can’t agree with.

I really can't see much difference between your post and the two you disagree with.  

14 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Sorry but this I can’t agree with. Personally I think there are at least 8 keepers who are clearly better than Kepa in the league alone. 

In no particular order;

Alison, Ederson, Lloris, De Gea, Leno, Schmeichel, Henderson and Patricio. 

Debatable at best, the difference with most if not all of them is negligible and like I said none of them are realistically available and none of them are top quality goalkeepers. 

14 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

This is the PL alone. Off form he’s worse than pretty much every one of these names. Even when Kepa is having a good season by his standards there are 8 keepers clearly better than him. I’m at an absolute loss how anyone can defend him. The worst part is that none of these keepers cost their club £71m. Alison cost Liverpool around £60m and Ederson cost City £35m. After that we have Pickford at £25m. There’s no other way to look at this, we’ve been taken to the cleaners big time. 

Off form, every goalkeeper is ****, just look at De Gea, who although makes your list of keepers clearly better than Kepa has been replaced as Spain's number 1 by guess who?

The money we spent was outrageous, that is undeniable, doesnt make him a worse keeper than others though just because he cost more.

I

chelboy   

People tend to put GK mistakes down to them being on poor form or looking average. Allison and Ederson can make individual mistakes such as kicking it against an opponent or throwing the ball out for someone to chip them. Those kind of mistakes are once or twice a season type mistakes and they are usually brain fart moments rather than bad shot stopping. What Kepa is poor at is saving shots and commanding his box. Those are not individual mistakes those are fundamentals for a GK. Majority of the PL keepers are better shot stoppers than him and for sure a majority command their box better than him. He claimed no corners last season. How many corners will it take for Mendy to claim just ONE. 

GK’s like Lloris, Allison and Ederson still usually have good seasons even if they can make a couple of mistakes because their shot stopping is at a high level.  They usually have a plus figure for expected goals conceded rather than minus 12. We don’t see every chance they save or dont save but judging from stats most of them are high performers compared to our GK who we watch closely and clearly see he is below average in performance and awful in stats. There’s no way anyone can say Kepa comes close to any GK from the top half even DDG. DDG form has dropped but he is still definitely better than Kepa. Being picked for Spain doesn’t make a difference. Pickford gets picked for England when Pope and Henderson are better. We can send Kepa to the championship and I bet he wouldn’t be the best GK in the division.