• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

chelboy   
40 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

No. I'm not talking about mistakes, I actually think Kepa makes very few compared to Ederson and Alisson, I'm talking about saving shots. Much like Kepa gets criticized for I dont not see a single keeper in this league that doesn't concede goals that they should be stopping.

It really is not. 

Well I'm telling you know I'm saying it. There is not much in Kepa from the year he played under Sarri to any other goalkeeper in the league. That season he was pretty much as good as any. 

Every GK can concede goals that they shouldn’t, but its how often they do it. How many times have you seen Allison and Ederson concede goals like Kepa did on Monday? A shot without much power from range . This wasn’t a one off either if you go as far back as Kepa first goal he conceded with the Mkhitaryan goal you can see basic shot stopping problems he has.  In the Sarri season you could probably find 10  goals that he should have saved. The only difference in that season was that he made 3 or 4 saves I wasn’t expecting him to make but then again that doesn’t make up for the goals he let in. There’s just too many goals he lets in that a decent GK shouldn’t. 

I'm not expecting Kepa to save 1-on-1 or anything spectacular I’m just asking for a GK who won’t concede goals like Trossard, Bellerin, Zaha and also a GK who isn’t as rooted to the spot as he is. 

1 hour ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

You normally talk a lot of sense, but I just can't see where you are coming from with this. All these keepers you name are streets ahead of Kepa, because they are a mixture of being very good shot stoppers or very imposing and commanding goalkeepers. These are key strengths Kepa lacks.

That's not too say he does not have some positive attributes. He is very vocal which is always useful for a Gk, he is quick across the ground and generally sweeps well and is decent on the ball. That's really where the positives stop though. Whilst those are all fantastic traits for any goalkeeper, it comes down to the fundamentals of what is most important for a GK. Unfortunately, for us and for Kepa, all of his positives rank below being a good shot stopper and being commanding.

It's a bit like having a striker who is incredibly quick with good technical ability, but is constantly offside and cannot shoot to save his life. The fundamentals kick in at some point and you give up on that pace and technical ability, because the basics just continue to let the side down.Bit like Adama Traore pre Wolves and pre Santo actually coaching him into the player he is now............trouble is the things Kepa lacks are not gonna improve by any amount of coaching.

Well we disagree.

I dont think there is a single keeper in the premier league who is streets ahead of Kepa and I'm talking about the Kepa that played under Sarri. Last year he wasnt very good but collectively as a team we were shocking defensively and that has to have an effect on the goalkeeper. 

I'm no expert when it comes to goalkeepers but can imagine it's far easier for a goalkeeper to play at his top level when the team defends well. 

We are not talking of comparing him to Cech or Schmeichel or Van der Sar, we are talking Alisson and Ederson who are widely regarded as the best in the league and I dont think either is that good, certainly the difference between them and Kepa in his first year here was not that much.

The amount of goals we conceded under Sarri that Kepa was blamed for compared to last year is night and day. He also made far more 'good' saves that year, the type that not everyone makes. I'd have put him as a very good shot stopper that didn't command his area very well, but that appears to be the modern way with goalkeepers in the modern game which I can't personally get my head round but that's another subject.

He wasnt good enough last year but the whole team wasnt defensively good enough so until we get that right the last person I would blame is Kepa.

1 hour ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

You have to take into consideration that we had endless amounts of possession and went nowhere with it under Sarri. Which is a factor as to why he was less exposed!

Well it took us to a third place finish and a Europa league win but you kind of make my point for me.

However we achieved it under Sarri we were far less exposed and Kepa was far better than last season.

11 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Every GK can concede goals that they shouldn’t, but its how often they do it. How many times have you seen Allison and Ederson concede goals like Kepa did on Monday? A shot without much power from range . This wasn’t a one off either if you go as far back as Kepa first goal he conceded with the Mkhitaryan goal you can see basic shot stopping problems he has. 

I can guarantee one thing and that is neither of them face as many shots as Kepa does from that sort of range. Maybe if they did they'd let more in.

11 minutes ago, chelboy said:

In the Sarri season you could probably find 10  goals that he should have saved. The only difference in that season was that he made 3 or 4 saves I wasn’t expecting him to make but then again that doesn’t make up for the goals he let in. There’s just too many goals he lets in that a decent GK shouldn’t. 

But that's just a number plucked out if thin air and a number you could probably throw at every keeper across a season. It's a bit like generating a random number of missed chances for a striker and saying Tammy should have scored 30 goals last season instead of 15. 

Very few people moaned about him under Sarri , although I appreciate you were one of them and made your stance on him very early, and even fewer thought he should be replaced, an awful lot of us thought we had found a long term goalkeeper that was only going to get better.

3 hours ago, exiledblue said:

Keeper talk has gone very quiet. What are we waiting for or does Frank really not see it as a problem?

Suspect Marina has told Rennes to take it or leave it with an offer,, therefore it could go all the way to Mr White's deadline day, unless Kepa has a howler of a game

12 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Rennes were a mid table team when we bought Cech from them.

Rennes finished third in the truncated Ligue 1 season last year and due to some fortunate results have qualified directly for the Group Stage of the Champions League. Not strictly mid-table!

15 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Suspect Marina has told Rennes to take it or leave it with an offer,, therefore it could go all the way to Mr White's deadline day, unless Kepa has a howler of a game

Can't imagine that would change anything. What are we going to see at this point that we haven't already? It would need to be a Barthez or Taibi style meltdown.

kratos   
On 15/09/2020 at 9:23 PM, Mark Kelly said:

Looking back on it I actually cannot believe Van Der Sar was at Fulham for 4 years.

chelboy   
1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

I can guarantee one thing and that is neither of them face as many shots as Kepa does from that sort of range. Maybe if they did they'd let more in.

Very few people moaned about him under Sarri , although I appreciate you were one of them and made your stance on him very early, and even fewer thought he should be replaced, an awful lot of us thought we had found a long term goalkeeper that was only going to get better.

True, they don’t face as many shots as Kepa but somehow Kepa has managed to concede the most goals from outside the box in the whole league since he arrived . Surely something is wrong there? Why should a GK from a top 4 team concede the most goals from outside his box? Kepa doesn’t face the most long shots in the league so therefore he shouldn’t be conceding the most. I don’t mind 1-on-1 or some set piece goals being conceded but conceding the most long shots in the league is a clear red flag especially when you play for a top 4 team.  He has problems with long shots and he may start to get found out by other teams. I wouldn’t be surprised if he concedes from another long shot on Sunday. 

I think in the Sarri season many fans were more focused on Sarri and the style than individuals. Kepa went under the radar and it was also his debut season so I don’t think many would have watched him closely. It wasn’t until his moment with Sarri that more people started to focus on him. 

The real problem is that the Kepa debate will always be whether he's awful, average or somewhere in-between those. I actually believe it's become a bit of a witch hunt now and not all of the so called "mistakes" he's making are as bad as people have made out. However, I struggle to think of anything he really excels at - he's decent with his feet but not outstanding and has shown pretty good reflexes at times but that's just not enough at a club like Chelsea. I can't believe anyone really thinks he's a top-class keeper just stuck behind a leaky defence or even that he has the potential to be one of the best around? That's what we need long term if we are to win the trophies that the other acquisitions we have made so far deserve.