• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Jasonb   
1 minute ago, FrankLampard8 said:

The real problem is that the Kepa debate will always be whether he's awful, average or somewhere in-between those. I actually believe it's become a bit of a witch hunt now and not all of the so called "mistakes" he's making are as bad as people have made out. However, I struggle to think of anything he really excels at - he's decent with his feet but not outstanding and has shown pretty good reflexes at times but that's just not enough at a club like Chelsea. I can't believe anyone really thinks he's a top-class keeper just stuck behind a leaky defence or even that he has the potential to be one of the best around? That's what we need long term if we are to win the trophies that the other acquisitions we have made so far deserve.

Fair points, I prefer him to Willy though that is not to say if he does have a bad run we should not use Willy.

I don't know the stats on this yet I feel DDG at Utd had a worse season than Kepa and especially if body language is anything to go by. 

3 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

I can guarantee one thing and that is neither of them face as many shots as Kepa does from that sort of range. Maybe if they did they'd let more in.

I can guarantee you neither of those keepers have conceeded 19 goals from distance, where thet on top of that should have saved the majority of them. Kepa has actually conceeded 19 goals from distance in two seasons. The opposition doesn't even have to get into our box to have a decent chance of scoring. It's enough to have an average shot on target! 

The whole "he's exposed" argument has been majorly overestimated. Sure our defense hasn't been good, but Kepa can hardly be let off due to that. In fact he makes a shaky defense even worse! 

1 hour ago, chelboy said:

True, they don’t face as many shots as Kepa but somehow Kepa has managed to concede the most goals from outside the box in the whole league since he arrived . Surely something is wrong there? Why should a GK from a top 4 team concede the most goals from outside his box? Kepa doesn’t face the most long shots in the league so therefore he shouldn’t be conceding the most. I don’t mind 1-on-1 or some set piece goals being conceded but conceding the most long shots in the league is a clear red flag especially when you play for a top 4 team.  He has problems with long shots and he may start to get found out by other teams. I wouldn’t be surprised if he concedes from another long shot on Sunday. 

I think in the Sarri season many fans were more focused on Sarri and the style than individuals. Kepa went under the radar and it was also his debut season so I don’t think many would have watched him closely. It wasn’t until his moment with Sarri that more people started to focus on him. 

The number of shots is one thing, save percentages and xG conceeded something else. In every statistical department Kepa sucks. When I look at him he sucks. There is no defense for himm that holds any water. There's no chance we can fulfill our potential as a side with him in goal. Personally I think we should just accept we have been done for with this transfer, learn from it and move on. We will never get any decent fee for him regardless, so every game he gets to start costs us more than we may save down the line in transfer fees. It's a sunk cost and should be treated as a loss. I'm talking about the full fee here. We won't get a penny for him as his salary is miles ahead of what he should be making. No team will take him on unless he agrees to take a 50% cut. Maybe even more than that. 

50 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

The real problem is that the Kepa debate will always be whether he's awful, average or somewhere in-between those.

There's at least two posters who think Kepa is just as good as the top keepers in european football. So I'd say the spectrum is slightly wider than what you make it out to be.

Edited by The_Ghost

3 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

There's at least two posters who think Kepa is just as good as the top keepers in european football. So I'd say the spectrum is slightly wider than what you make it out to be.

I've not seen them.  You seem to be disagreeing with  posters name, and not content.

47 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

I can guarantee you neither of those keepers have conceeded 19 goals from distance, where thet on top of that should have saved the majority of them. Kepa has actually conceeded 19 goals from distance in two seasons. The opposition doesn't even have to get into our box to have a decent chance of scoring. It's enough to have an average shot on target! 

How does that compare to other keepers during the same time? How many of those were his fault?

It's a ridiculous thing to use as a stick to beat someone with unless we go through each and every goal and then compare that to all the others.

The whole "he's exposed" argument has been majorly overestimated. Sure our defense hasn't been good, but Kepa can hardly be let off due to that. In fact he makes a shaky defense even worse! 

What about the previous year? He wasnt half as exposed and was far, far better.

The number of shots is one thing, save percentages and xG conceeded something else. In every statistical department Kepa sucks. When I look at him he sucks. There is no defense for himm that holds any water. There's no chance we can fulfill our potential as a side with him in goal. Personally I think we should just accept we have been done for with this transfer, learn from it and move on. We will never get any decent fee for him regardless, so every game he gets to start costs us more than we may save down the line in transfer fees. It's a sunk cost and should be treated as a loss. I'm talking about the full fee here. We won't get a penny for him as his salary is miles ahead of what he should be making. No team will take him on unless he agrees to take a 50% cut. Maybe even more than that. 

And yet I dont recall many talking like this the previous season. Funny that.

Good God no. But you are missing the point. There are two or three top keepers in the world, Oblak, Neuer and after that it's much of a muchness.

I'm sure your gonna throw some names at me like Handanovic or Ter Stregen or whoever else you chose but let me save you the bother by saying if you do you are just proving my point. There are very few elite goalkeepers around, all of which are unavailable and after that the difference between them all, including Kepa from his first season here, is not that great.

Let me put it this way.

I have a lot of friends who are season ticket holders at Tottenham and Arsenal, nearly every one of them would get rid of their goalkeeper. 

I  have not heard a single good word about Dea Gae from any united fan in a very long time. To a man they want rid of him. he's also been replaced as Spains number one, by you know who, but apparently that doesnt matter.

Ederson and Alisson are probably the two most over rated goalkeepers I have ever seen. Both are playing in teams a million miles ahead of the rest of the league and still aren't great.

Nick Pope? Have a word.

Henderson? One good season in the league, much like Kepa. Bit early to jump the gun considering  how quickly that good season can be forgotten.

Schmeichel, personally I think is the best of the lot and that says a lot.

I've not really got into the Kepa debate as I think it's pointless but my original point was about Mendy who I have not seen make a single good save and those he does make, even the most simple ones bounce off him. He looks utterly terrible but it appears the narrative is anyone but Kepa. Be careful what you wish for.

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

Good Rant

However we are stuck with Kepa for another season. Maybe bring in a half decent number two "Mendy or another" will to give him some real competition.

In Kepa's defence since he came to the club he has not had a decent number to keep him on his toes, the likes of willy and rob green at there age are not serious contenders for the number one jersey. Most clubs including chelsea before the Kepa signing have decent number two's. at chelsea cudachini, Cech "no2 for big nose' begervic come to mind.

Not sure who to blame for this oversight, however it has come back and biten the club in the bottom.

59 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Let me put it this way.

I have a lot of friends who are season ticket holders at Tottenham and Arsenal, nearly every one of them would get rid of their goalkeeper. 

I  have not heard a single good word about Dea Gae from any united fan in a very long time. To a man they want rid of him. he's also been replaced as Spains number one, by you know who, but apparently that doesnt matter.

Ederson and Alisson are probably the two most over rated goalkeepers I have ever seen. Both are playing in teams a million miles ahead of the rest of the league and still aren't great.

Nick Pope? Have a word.

Henderson? One good season in the league, much like Kepa. Bit early to jump the gun considering  how quickly that good season can be forgotten.

I've not really got into the Kepa debate as I think it's pointless but my original point was about Mendy who I have not seen make a single good save and those he does make, even the most simple ones bounce off him. He looks utterly terrible but it appears the narrative is anyone but Kepa. Be careful what you wish for.

The issue is mate, is that when I said recently "that's his game" I was in no way trying to be clever, it was peak Kepa, make a good save, use the ball well, flap at a cross, let one in he should be saving. 

That's what he does on a weekly basis and as for all that nonsense about being one of the best last season is just that, he was adequate without being outstanding. 

There are no stand out strengths to his game he's a mediocre keeper, adequate, average, middling in ability and too stiff and small. Seems unable to compensate with his lack of height with added. athleticism 

The real villain of the piece is the idiot who recommended we make him the most expensive keeper in the world. 

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The issue is mate, is that when I said recently "that's his game" I was in no way trying to be clever, it was peak Kepa, make a good save, use the ball well, flap at a cross, let one in he should be saving. 

That's what he does on a weekly basis and as for all that nonsense about being one of the best last season is just that, he was adequate without being outstanding. 

There are no stand out strengths to his game he's a mediocre keeper, adequate, average, middling in ability and too stiff and small. Seems unable to compensate with his lack of height with added. athleticism 

The real villain of the piece is the idiot who recommended we make him the most expensive keeper in the world. 

And you may well be right, my entire point though is that as bad as some may think he is there are not many that are that much better than him, if we look at the season previous to last, and those that are completely unrealistic. The players that one may argue are better are all dodgy as **** in their own way anyway. I dont believe for one second wed have been much better off last year with any of the keepers in this league that some claim are better than him and again none of them are remotely realistic.

It says more about the quality of goalkeeper currently playing the game than anything else.

3 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

It says more about the quality of goalkeeper currently playing the game than anything else.

It is indeed very low.  There must be some explanation, but no attempts I have seen.
Not just the absence of good young keepers, but the decline of established ones at the same time

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

Let me put it this way.

Nick Pope? Have a word.

Your Arsenal friends are very picky then. Leno has made some mistakes, he has also produced some great saves over the last 2 years and was massively exposed under Emery. Kepa just doesn’t produce these saves.

Alisson and Ederson have both made few errors in their time in England. It’s a given a GK error leads to a goal conceded. They all make them, it’s the low frequency of mistakes and ability to make great saves when called upon.

Even if you want to accept he has made few mistakes, he simply does not make enough routine saves that other good PL keepers do. His save percentage stats support that. Alisson , Ederson, Leno , De Gea ( from 3 years back) they bail their teams out with quality saves when called upon.

Take mistakes out of the discussion. Kepa just doesn’t make these saves.

Edited by LeBoeufsGolfBall