• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

2 hours ago, Erland Johnson said:

Yes he did make at least 4 very good saves.  He made more in total but, the others you'd expect him to save.

No - I have watched it now - just one good save, and a lot of average ones with some very worrying fumbles that went loose fortunately harmless and some very poor clearances.

There was no major error but it was not a great performance.  Loads of soft shots (9 on target to our 11).

2 hours ago, Erland Johnson said:

I think what would help our keepers and CB's is if we actually had a plan B and didn't persist in having to play it short after every single kick. Let's mix it up a bit - I think the majority of us agree on that.  In fact you could see that even Barnsley were taking advantage and pressing really high up when we had a goal kick.  I remember the good old days when Cech used to just hoof it out wide to Ivanovic standing next to the dugout..  He won it 90% of the time and when he didn't there was no danger.

Quite.  After we played this highly dangerous game of risk against Liverpool SFL chose to blame a single player for a mistake.
Yet for the first 20 mins while they had the puff, Barnsley pressed us high and we looked just as clueless passing the ball about the back.
These are accidents that will happen.

JM teams got accused of playing long, but it was always plan B to pre-empt the high press and give the back 4 room to play.

2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Probably not lost it, but we would definitely have conceded two goals (at least). 

A single goal from those chances would have been a keeping disaster.  Lets be real here.

17 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

No - I have watched it now - just one good save, and a lot of average ones with some very worrying fumbles that went loose fortunately harmless and some very poor clearances.

TBF I was being generous to say they were very good saves.  They were saves that could've led to goals if a mistake happened but, he didn't make any mistakes.  There were one or two that would've gone in maybe 30% of the time.  I didn't really see him do all that much wrong but, I do remember one poor clearance.

I just hope that we all have a nice surprise with Mendy and he turns out to be much better than video clips and people's opinions suggest.

chara   
58 minutes ago, Erland Johnson said:

TBF I was being generous to say they were very good saves.  They were saves that could've led to goals if a mistake happened but, he didn't make any mistakes.  There were one or two that would've gone in maybe 30% of the time.  I didn't really see him do all that much wrong but, I do remember one poor clearance.

I just hope that we all have a nice surprise with Mendy and he turns out to be much better than video clips and people's opinions suggest.

I suspect most views based on the video were really comments on the somewhat uninspiring filming rather than comments on ability.

As pointed out a well edited video can make anyone look spectacular and the opposite of course...Bats anyone?...in isolation could look a world beater....let the man show his worth or not.

I wish him well of course.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:
4 hours ago, Erland Johnson said:

more in total but, the others you'd expect him to save.

Whether they were good or average in your estimation is irrelevant. The only pertinent question is whether Kepa would have saved them or not. I'll be generous to him and say that there were 2 shots saved by Caballero which Kepa would certainly have let in before we scored our first. To that extent and in view of the fact that it is typical of of their difference in competence, Willy's performance justifies his selection ahead of Kepa.

• Like 1

JaneB   

Jorginho to Arsenal?

Probably nothing in it but I object to us selling any more players to them.  

40 minutes ago, RDC Williams said:

Whether they were good or average in your estimation is irrelevant. The only pertinent question is whether Kepa would have saved them or not. I'll be generous to him and say that there were 2 shots saved by Caballero which Kepa would certainly have let in before we scored our first. To that extent and in view of the fact that it is typical of of their difference in competence, Willy's performance justifies his selection ahead of Kepa.

Absolute codswallop.  The stuff people will say once they are committed to some idea is amazing.

JaneB   
4 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Absolute codswallop.  The stuff people will say once they are committed to some idea is amazing.

Err....................🤔

31 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Absolute codswallop.  The stuff people will say once they are committed to some idea is amazing

😅 

1 hour ago, JaneB said:

Jorginho to Arsenal?

Probably nothing in it but I object to us selling any more players to them.  

On one hand I wouldn't sell them the steam off my piddle but on the other hand he is almost dispensable seeing as we already have Kovacic ready to stand in and we should be able to ask a decent price for him. Outright sale though, no loans. 

11 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

On one hand I wouldn't sell them the steam off my piddle but on the other hand he is almost dispensable seeing as we already have Kovacic ready to stand in and we should be able to ask a decent price for him. Outright sale though, no loans. 

So you reckon Kante and Kovacic for 2 roles backed by Gilmour is enough for this seasons expectations?
I think we could lose a few LBs first.

Still if we lose Jorginho at least SFL will have to tell the back 5 to kick it long instead of working the ball to kante to kick it long.  Surely.

Of the players Sarri left behind, Kepa, Azpi, Rudiger, Kante should have been the core of the next team, and Willian and Luiz the experience for the short term.
WTF is happening?

(Time was that RA got feedback from the senior players about how the coach is doing.  I wonder how that works now?)