• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

2 hours ago, bert19 said:

Whilst I wouldn't quite go as far as calling it a mistake, I'd definitely try to shift Christensen ahead of Rudiger.  

Also worth noting that there's a big difference between a long ball hoofed any old way outwards or forwards and a long pass the likes of which we've seen JT, Luiz, Lamps etc executing for a specific tactical purpose.  Long passes should be used and encouraged, especially if it's a quick route to getting at the opposition's penalty area.  

I'd like to see more of it too - the playing out from the back thing is being overused in football in general and especially at Chelsea the last 3 seasons or so.  It invites and allows a high press and we don't really have players that are good enough positionally or at decision making to do it to good effect.   Being direct isn't a crime.  In fact, we won titles with a plan of winning the ball and getting it forward swiftly 

How often I have screamed get rid of it as they wont score from their half but pissing around with it in front of kepa meant there was every chance they could score.

On 11/09/2020 at 2:59 PM, Bob Singleton said:

Just as an aside.

Mendy wears the 16 jersey at Rennes. The only available number before you get to the 25 & 26 of Zola and JT is... yes, you've guessed; 16

Screenshot_2020-09-25 Edouard Mendy exclusive first interview Keeper on what a privilege it is to join Chelsea, buying a Bl[...].jpg

57 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Screenshot_2020-09-25 Edouard Mendy exclusive first interview Keeper on what a privilege it is to join Chelsea, buying a Bl[...].jpg

Didn't someone say the only other number available was 41?

Declan Rice's number. 

Hmmmmmm

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

I know he is tall but is he also that wide?

It worries me that Frank didn't outright deny the rumours regarding Jorginho and Rudiger. I don't understand clearing out potential first teamers when we've got the likes of Ruben, Barkley, Christiensen and Tomori who could be cleared out before we even consider selling Jorgi and Rudiger. Swapping Jorginho for Rice would be a catastrophic mistake and a step backwards.

Jasonb   

I actually think getting Rice would strengthen us and for me we needed to off-load either AC or Rudiger due to Silva coming in an Zouma being our other most consistent CB.

This is Rice in action

26 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I actually think getting Rice would strengthen us and for me we needed to off-load either AC or Rudiger due to Silva coming in an Zouma being our other most consistent CB.

This is Rice in action

I would have thought AC was more likely to have been sold, as he's been even less consistent than Rüdiger, but I think there may be some business concerns involved - Rüdi may attract more bidders.

Jorginho doesn't provide the protection our back four needs, which Rice would do. The sort of player we haven't had for a while. It might require a change of style, as a midfield with Rice and Kanté wouldn't be so suited to helping the defence play their way out of trouble. Although Jorginho was supposed to be the expert in this but hasn't proven able to cope with PL pressing. In big games I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a Rice/Kanté/Mount midfield 3 than what we have at the moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Didn't someone say the only other number available was 41?

Declan Rice's number. 

Hmmmmmm

Well 27, 30, 32, 34-39 are also free. 41 is free now that Luke McCormick is on loan.

So welcome, Declan Rice!

1 hour ago, Jasonb said:

This is Rice in action

You can see from this why we are seeing him as a possible solution centre back.  His biggest asset is reading the game and being composed.  He could suit us perfectly stepping out from the back and being able to start attacks from deep.  I think Lampard tries to find players to suit what he knows.  At centre back he is trying to find a JT-esq player and why wouldn't he.  Someone that is very good on the ball, can read the game but, is also aggresive.  Declan exhibits some of those qualities and similarities.  At the moment I think Lampard saw Christainsen as being the closet to that although Silva may now be the temporary solution.  Rice is a gamble but, I can see the thinking.  For me JT is up there with the greatest CB's of all time, him and Puyol were the best CB's for a decade.

Ham   
1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

I would have thought AC was more likely to have been sold, as he's been even less consistent than Rüdiger, but I think there may be some business concerns involved - Rüdi may attract more bidders.

Jorginho doesn't provide the protection our back four needs, which Rice would do. The sort of player we haven't had for a while. It might require a change of style, as a midfield with Rice and Kanté wouldn't be so suited to helping the defence play their way out of trouble. Although Jorginho was supposed to be the expert in this but hasn't proven able to cope with PL pressing. In big games I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a Rice/Kanté/Mount midfield 3 than what we have at the moment.

Take out Jorginho and add Rice, add service from the likes of Chilwell and Ziyech to a pacy front 3? Sounds Kloppesque.