• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

The loan army has been a monumental success for Chelsea financially. Either getting academy products a platform to become saleable or, rarer, first team candidates. Secondly we bring in foreign hopefuls for peanuts, farm out for fees and sell at a profit. Even loaning out deadwood can cover any amortisation losses with loan fees in and the hope of increasing market value while taking wages off the books. 

Chels have just been best at exploiting the player as commodity model and the papers find it somehow distateful while ignoring actual news and pusuing their own bs outrage du jour in order to maintain the status quo. The double standard is painful to see compared to the coverage of other clubs and their fans, you know who I mean! 

Anyway, loan system is being totally revamped isn't it? 

8 minutes ago, mastiffchild said:

The loan army has been a monumental success for Chelsea financially. Either getting academy products a platform to become saleable or, rarer, first team candidates. Secondly we bring in foreign hopefuls for peanuts, farm out for fees and sell at a profit. Even loaning out deadwood can cover any amortisation losses with loan fees in and the hope of increasing market value while taking wages off the books. 

Chels have just been best at exploiting the player as commodity model and the papers find it somehow distateful while ignoring actual news and pusuing their own bs outrage du jour in order to maintain the status quo. The double standard is painful to see compared to the coverage of other clubs and their fans, you know who I mean! 

Anyway, loan system is being totally revamped isn't it? 

There was once a lot of talk about how profitable loans were for us.
There was a guy with a spreadsheet who calculated all the wages and loan fees and depreciation of all the players.  He started off with a few assumptions, mostly that we were making a lot of money of loanees.  Then produced a wonderful model, and then used it to prove how much we were making from loanees.

The simple fact is that the top wage in he Championship averages 23k a week*, with one or two relegated stars pushing that up.  Most Championship clubs pay no one more than £20k a week, and play most starters a lot less.  

So imagine Gallagher or Guehi, two bright young things that were in that England U17 team along with CHO.  They may not have been on CHO money, but you can be sure that they were at the top of the scale for Charlton and Swansea.  The idea that Charlton were covering all of Gallacher's wages is quite unrealistic.  
Likewise, McEachran George, on loan with Maastricht right now, is probably earning more (now) than McEachran Josh who is at Birmingham, but is very unlikely to have those wages paid in full by Maastricht in the Dutch league 2.

With a few exceptions like Zouma and Moses when at PL clubs, it is safe to say we never cover our costs on loan players except by selling them.  Loan fees (like many transfer fees) are just guesses by hacks and generally the first shout is accepted as having some special status.
And while we make the odd £5m here and there on sales, there are plenty of players who have cost us £5m in wages alone who we have let go for free.  
Jay Clarke-Salter, remember him?  12 U21 caps.  Still on loan to Birmingham but not playing.  There are dozens like that.

* There was a study done about 2 seasons ago.

• Like 1

I see Willian after his first game for Arsenal has gone back to his usual self, not many Arsenal fans are too impressed with him.

he's moaning already about artetas tactics and how he's struggling

• Like 1

Leo91   

Totally forgot he existed until my Dad asked what Willian was up to at Arsenal. Nothing. 

Bison   

Willian is going through one of his customary 3 month droughts where he doesn't score or assist a single goal.

His next goal contribution is scheduled for January.

Willian is what the Americans call a systems player. He is great at certain elements when playing in a system that suits him but is not a player that can do anything magic. Further, it also means he is a player that usually works in a way that allows others to shine. 

Personally, I think he would've been handy for this season for us. In particular, I do not think we would've been overran as often as we have in midfield as he is very good at keeping the ball under pressure. For that reason, I wanted him to stay for one more year to help transition the new boys into the team/PL. However, the money that he was asking for/got from Le Arse was insane. Further, Le Arse fans brought into the hype far too much and carried on like they had signed peak Robben or something. 

What they are getting is what we all knew he was, the problem is that he was better suited to our system and we knew what type of player he actually was. 

Edited by King Kante

Jasonb   
On 30/10/2020 at 0:14 PM, Droy was my hero said:

There was once a lot of talk about how profitable loans were for us.
There was a guy with a spreadsheet who calculated all the wages and loan fees and depreciation of all the players.  He started off with a few assumptions, mostly that we were making a lot of money of loanees.  Then produced a wonderful model, and then used it to prove how much we were making from loanees.

The simple fact is that the top wage in he Championship averages 23k a week*, with one or two relegated stars pushing that up.  Most Championship clubs pay no one more than £20k a week, and play most starters a lot less.  

So imagine Gallagher or Guehi, two bright young things that were in that England U17 team along with CHO.  They may not have been on CHO money, but you can be sure that they were at the top of the scale for Charlton and Swansea.  The idea that Charlton were covering all of Gallacher's wages is quite unrealistic.  
Likewise, McEachran George, on loan with Maastricht right now, is probably earning more (now) than McEachran Josh who is at Birmingham, but is very unlikely to have those wages paid in full by Maastricht in the Dutch league 2.

With a few exceptions like Zouma and Moses when at PL clubs, it is safe to say we never cover our costs on loan players except by selling them.  Loan fees (like many transfer fees) are just guesses by hacks and generally the first shout is accepted as having some special status.
And while we make the odd £5m here and there on sales, there are plenty of players who have cost us £5m in wages alone who we have let go for free.  
Jay Clarke-Salter, remember him?  12 U21 caps.  Still on loan to Birmingham but not playing.  There are dozens like that.

I agree with you on this and for me the last season was an exception where the development and loan system actually delivered for us.

With Mount, James and Abraham all still playing reasonable amounts for us we can say it has worked albeit under strange circumstances.

paulw66   
On 01/11/2020 at 0:35 PM, Jasonb said:

I agree with you on this and for me the last season was an exception where the development and loan system actually delivered for us.

With Mount, James and Abraham all still playing reasonable amounts for us we can say it has worked albeit under strange circumstances.

Mount, James, Abraham, CHO and Tomori. What are those 5 worth on the balance sheet ? 

North of 200m? 

4 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Mount, James, Abraham, CHO and Tomori. What are those 5 worth on the balance sheet ? 

North of 200m? 

Careful, Paul.  You know where thinking like that will take you.