• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

paulw66   
15 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

My problem with RLC is simply that he has had an awful lot of chances without looking the part in a first team shirt.  
Conte picked him 11 times including 4 cup starts in the season we won the PL.  It was not as though he didn't have any chances to impress, he just did not impress.  Next season he belatedly went on loan.  RLC is one of these memes that people keep repeating only because they have been said so many times before.

He played 31 minutes of PL football under Conte*

Under Sarri, he scored 6 PL goals in just 985 minutes, an average of one per 164 minutes, 1 goal fewer than Kante, Kovacic, Barkley and Jorginho combined.  

* I don't blame for Conte for this. He was playing a 2 man midfield, which was largely defensive with Matic and Kante, with Cesc as first reserve, and none of them got injured, we had no European football, and went out in the 3rd round of the LC. A very rare 47 game season. 

On 11/24/2020 at 6:40 PM, paulw66 said:

It is curious then that Abraham was loaned back to the championship. If he was good enough for a top 4 team (in the eyes of others) then there would have been about a dozen premier league clubs willing to loan him.

same goes for Mount really. 

Not saying they aren't special players, but I have doubts that a City, Liverpool, Spurs would have bought them 

Of course they wouldn't - the proof is in the pudding. It's also crystal clear all three were unknown quantities at PL-level at the start of last season. Conte would never, ever have integarted them. Neither would JM. 

He brings up Tomori as a player that has gotten too many chances (what?). But he was just as good as the other three the season before at Championship level. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 6:51 PM, Droy was my hero said:

I'm not necessarily saying that Liverpool or Man U would have played them in 2018, just bought them from say Swansea or Vitesse and loaned them to a Championship or lower prem side.  Championship team if they cared for them as investments.  Perhaps one with a loved ex player in the management team.

We've doen that with players far inferior to Abraham and Mount. We have even done it with players inferiror to McEachran. So you're not saying anything at all really. 

paulw66   

in other news, there are a few media outlets suggesting Thiago silva is going to sign a one year extension already.

Have to say, I flip-flopped on whether he would be a good signing, but he has been exactly what we needed. A calm, experienced presence at the back, and doesn't really look like he is 36. Even if he plays less and less next season, what a person / player for the other defenders to learn from.

paulw66   

Lots of David Alaba talk today.........would be a great signing. Can cover left back, centre back and midfield 

BILD reporting that Alaba's agent, Pini Zahavi, will be talking to both Chelsea and PSG in January ahead of his contract with Bayern expiring in the Summer. Not hugely substantial but my God what a signing he would be for anyone on a free.

I cannot see Alaba signing. Way too expensive, he may be on a Bosman but you're looking at mega wages and signing on fee. By the time you add everything up, he would be a serious purchase. 

Further, he is only 5'10 and there have not been many examples of PL CB's who have been top rank at that height. For sure, he can play LB but I do not really think he is needed there with Chilwell able to play a serious number of games, Dave being able to also play there if needed, Emerson and Alonso on the books and a highly talented prospect in Maatsen out on his first loan. 

For me, it is a case of a great player but one that isn't that great of a fit for us. If Chilwell hadn't been signed or was tanking I would be all for it, however I am not so sure about it in the current situation. I'd much rather our focus be on: DM, CB (successor for Silva), AM/CF (depends on where Werner ends up full time) and GK2. 

On 11/29/2020 at 2:08 PM, King Kante said:

I cannot see Alaba signing. Way too expensive, he may be on a Bosman but you're looking at mega wages and signing on fee. By the time you add everything up, he would be a serious purchase. 

Further, he is only 5'10 and there have not been many examples of PL CB's who have been top rank at that height. For sure, he can play LB but I do not really think he is needed there with Chilwell able to play a serious number of games, Dave being able to also play there if needed, Emerson and Alonso on the books and a highly talented prospect in Maatsen out on his first loan. 

For me, it is a case of a great player but one that isn't that great of a fit for us. If Chilwell hadn't been signed or was tanking I would be all for it, however I am not so sure about it in the current situation. I'd much rather our focus be on: DM, CB (successor for Silva), AM/CF (depends on where Werner ends up full time) and GK2. 

I would tend to agree. Alaba woul dhave been a massive transfer a few years ago (instead of us having Alonso ambling about) but now it has a feel of "too late" for me. 

At CB we are well stocked already with numbers and as you say, he isn't the tallest CB around. Chilwell is doing well so see no need to make a change there. Quite the contrary. Perhaps he woul dbe a good bet at DCM but for the money we are talking about I'm not sure we can spunk that sort of cash on a player to be a filler and back-up for three separate positions (CB, LB and DCM as back-up to Silva, Chilwell and Kanté). Would improve the squad no doubt, but the money can be used better I think. 

Can only assume you haven't watched a great deal of him since he started playing centre back on a regular basis, he's been absolutely colossal and to even suggest he wouldn't walk straight into our starting 11 is completely laughable.

Not many better centre halfs than him, anywhere in the world.

29 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Can only assume you haven't watched a great deal of him since he started playing centre back on a regular basis, he's been absolutely colossal and to even suggest he wouldn't walk straight into our starting 11 is completely laughable.

Not many better centre halfs than him, anywhere in the world.

Yet Bayern are happy for him to leave? 

I'm not saying ghe isn't a great defender, I'm saying I'm not sure two CBs below 6ft would be advisable in the PL. If we are going to go out and buy a CB then I think we need a real enforcerer of proper size, good aerial abilty, speed and good feet. Oh and at the right age as well. 

Alaba isn't that man for me.