• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

37 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

There's about 5 strong competitors for that title in the current squad, never mind the other post-Shevchenko flops!

My gut is he'll go. You'd think the board will allow some reshaping in the summer. Ziyech is the oldest of our letdown attackers and cost the least, so perhaps the most likely to make some money back on. 

He's not done anything that makes me think we'd especially miss him, but there's clearly huge talent there and he's not alone in adding little this season.

Not sure.  It is only a couple of months ago that people were using his injuries as an excuse for us not being at our best.  
Since then everyone has been forgiven for being rubbish under Lampard (by most) and Ziyech who wasn't rubbish under Lampard has had just 2 starts in 5.  Against Wolves in the first game when we were still working out the game instructions, and against Barnsley when pretty much everyone was rubbish.  

I really enjoy watching him.  Has more imagination than anyone, good technique, does get into his fair share of scraps, and delivers passes, crosses and shots like no one else I have ever seen.
More than deserves further chances.

45 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

You'd think the board will allow some reshaping in the summer.

I think this squad is much much closer to the real thing than most people want to admit.  It is an 85+ point team already.  GK, Giroud and Silva are the only replacements necessary (perhaps in 2022), and Gallacher and Guehi arrive in the Summer (match ready) to boost the CM.  Anyone else will just be a big name who is available.

If we go with the current double 10 system, then Mount, Werner, Havertz, Pulisic, Ziyech is almost enough.

9 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not sure.  It is only a couple of months ago that people were using his injuries as an excuse for us not being at our best.  
Since then everyone has been forgiven for being rubbish under Lampard (by most) and Ziyech who wasn't rubbish under Lampard has had just 2 starts in 5.  Against Wolves in the first game when we were still working out the game instructions, and against Barnsley when pretty much everyone was rubbish.  

I really enjoy watching him.  Has more imagination than anyone, good technique, does get into his fair share of scraps, and delivers passes, crosses and shots like no one else I have ever seen.
More than deserves further chances.

I think this squad is much much closer to the real thing than most people want to admit.  It is an 85+ point team already.  GK, Giroud and Silva are the only replacements necessary (perhaps in 2022), and Gallacher and Guehi arrive in the Summer (match ready) to boost the CM.  Anyone else will just be a big name who is available.

If we go with the current double 10 system, then Mount, Werner, Havertz, Pulisic, Ziyech is almost enough.

Don't misunderstand me, I'd not be looking to push him out. We have attacking players who I think offer less and would sooner see go if anyone had to go. I think those players would be much more difficult to move on even if the club saw things as I do (and I expect they don't). I just have a bit feeling that he'll be open to going and we'll be open to facilitating that. It'd be more a loss of what could have been that what has actually been.

And you're preaching to the choir on where this squad is and what it should be able to do. I deliberately said "reshaping" rather than, for example, rebuilding because all I think is needed or will happen is the manager being allowed their own stamp on the squad rather than anything more drastic. Perhaps just replacing the absolute necessaries will achieve that, but my bet is that there will be scope for a little more than that.

17 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I deliberately said "reshaping" rather than, for example, rebuilding because all I think is needed or will happen is the manager being allowed their own stamp on the squad rather than anything more drastic

I think we have already seen that TT is a manager who combines his idea of what he wants with what he has in the squad.
I'd also say that almost all the players are flexible in what they can do.  Giroud is a typical 9, CHO was I thought a straight 7 or 11 but has been tried at WB and 10.  Tammy is a 9 but I'm pretty sure could play as a twin striker.  Other than that pretty much everyone can play in multiple roles, narrow or wide, CM or AM, WB or FB or R/LCB.  The only thing we don't have is a Big and Brutal 6 (Baka aside) and I am not sure that that is what TT would want.
There may be opportunity purchases, there may be the "TT trinket" purchase. and we may spend big bucks.  But I don't think we need any system changing players.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think we have already seen that TT is a manager who combines his idea of what he wants with what he has in the squad.
I'd also say that almost all the players are flexible in what they can do.  Giroud is a typical 9, CHO was I thought a straight 7 or 11 but has been tried at WB and 10.  Tammy is a 9 but I'm pretty sure could play as a twin striker.  Other than that pretty much everyone can play in multiple roles, narrow or wide, CM or AM, WB or FB or R/LCB.  The only thing we don't have is a Big and Brutal 6 (Baka aside) and I am not sure that that is what TT would want.
There may be opportunity purchases, there may be the "TT trinket" purchase. and we may spend big bucks.  But I don't think we need any system changing players.

I agree, I think we may see the 3atb system stay for a while. I say this because with the CB's we currently have in the squad, all of them are better off in a 3atb (well maybe not Silva, but he is 37 and a class act), while two more options for us (Amapdu and Guehi) are the same. Further, we've been linked with Upamecano, Konate and Alaba, again all players that currently play or would be more suited to a 3atb in the PL. 

35 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I agree, I think we may see the 3atb system stay for a while. I say this because with the CB's we currently have in the squad, all of them are better off in a 3atb (well maybe not Silva, but he is 37 and a class act), while two more options for us (Amapdu and Guehi) are the same. Further, we've been linked with Upamecano, Konate and Alaba, again all players that currently play or would be more suited to a 3atb in the PL. 

Funny that makes 2 players of whom I have never heard it said that they are better with 3atb.  Silva and JT.  I wonder what makes them unique  :)

But I have also heard that Kante, Jorginho and Kovacic are all much better players as 3atcm (aka 666).  Werner and Tammy are much better as twin strikers.  3 No 10s* would be good.  And Mendy and Kepa work best as a pair between the sticks.

I agree 3atb may last a while with TT.  But a lot of that is because Alonso, James and certainly CHO are more than willing to push right up, and watch us play 8 vs 10 in midfield while providing an outlet.  And because Azpi is experienced at moving forward (or overlap the RWB) whenever there is only one opponent up front - which is not really a 3atb system.
It can't be used as an excuse for substandard CBs.  

* takes me back to when I smoked at school.

1 hour ago, King Kante said:

Further, we've been linked with Upamecano, Konate and Alaba, again all players that currently play or would be more suited to a 3atb in the PL. 

Gone to Bayern, I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Gone to Bayern, I'm afraid.

Yeah, I am aware, although not too devastated as his form as dropped off this year.

I was making more of a point that the players at CB we're being linked with are either playing in a back three (Upamecano and Konate) or our loan boys are (Guehi and Amapdu) are. Further, Alaba who is another doesn't strike me as a CB who would excel in a 3 in the PL owing to his height.

Yeah, I am aware, although not too devastated as his form as dropped off this year.

I was making more of a point that the players at CB we're being linked with are either playing in a back three (Upamecano and Konate) or our loan boys are (Guehi and Amapdu) are. Further, Alaba who is another doesn't strike me as a CB who would excel in a 3 in the PL owing to his height.

Guehi is doing well at swansea I hear.

8 hours ago, kennypaul said:

Guehi is doing well at swansea I hear.

He is, although I am with Droy in that getting our loan boys 100-150 games of mens football on loan is one of the best ways of developing them. 

For me Guehi should have another loan after this one (preferably to a PL/La Liga/Serie A/Bundesliga side) and lets see where we are at at the end of next season. Amapdu is similar, although he has been hampered by injuries so he is a bit behind on where he should be but may get a shot before he reaches those numbers.

Ideal world, I would say we should try something like the following for next season;

RCB: Dave, Zouma (or Ampadu if you can get good money for Zouma)

CCB: Silva, AC (stays as he is the only CB outside of Silva we've got that can pass under duress) 

LCB: Alaba, Rudi 

There is an arguement that 5CB's would do, so you could cut one of Rudi or Zouma and leave Ampadu on loan. Although, if you do use either Alaba or Amapdu in one of the No.6 roles (when required) to try and have a bit more steel, then you should go with the 6.

Problem here is that Alaba wants insane wages so unless they come down and he is willing to come here the club will need to have a think about what it wants to do. I think there is a big chance we sign a CB, however I think the money will have to be right as I see us really pushing for Håland, which would probably take up all our cash if we are somehow successful. 

Problem here is that Alaba wants insane wages

Well if he hasn't renewed his BM contract in some time and really is available on a free, he would want insane wages.  He has probably lost some £10m or so not signing earlier for BM.  I doubt that is a problem for Chelsea.  More a problem for Barca where he is being reported to be going.

I'm not going to predict who might or might no come.  But I would have thought a top class CB that can start 60 games if necessary is what would make a big difference.  Might even allow us to have 3atCM.