• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

6 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I don't know how old you are but a young Kun came off the bench in the Champions League and scored two excellent goals against us years ago and we were clamouring to sign him but he wanted £300k per week apparently and that was too much for us .

I think he was about 19/20 at the time and breathtakingly good .

Indeed. I think the Kun thread on here was the single best thread we have ever had. 

18 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I don't know how old you are but a young Kun came off the bench in the Champions League and scored two excellent goals against us years ago and we were clamouring to sign him but he wanted £300k per week apparently and that was too much for us .

He was barely 18 when AM bought him out of Argentina for EUR 23m (wiki) in 2006
Incredibly bold move by AM.  It worked but I am not at all surprised no one outbid them - indeed quite a few much have been surprised their bids did not succeed.

City bought him in 2011, 6 months after we bought Torres.  Yeah I know that relegating Torres and Drogba to the bench and playing Aguero would have been the smart move.
But to do that then would have required genius.  We did buy a stack of young talent around then though, much of which proved good buys.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

with all due respect...........state the bleedin obvious.

Perhaps we should buy an 18 year old CR7 too ? 

State the bleedin obvious? Like Marks says below, Kun was definitely someone we should have gone for when he was at AM and many of us Chelsea fans wanted him. Instead we spunked £50m on a finished Torres. So it wasn't so bleedin obvious was it? 

Anyhow, my comment was more the style of the striker we should be after. Not that I actuasly think we could reverse the aging process of Agüero. I don't think a tall and ommobile pplayer liek Lukaku who has questionable technical ability is something we need. I'd rather have a strong, fast and technical type (much like Agüero was at 20-22 years). 

An 18 year old CR would probably flunk here anyway. 

17 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Absolutely. How we managed to miss out on him is one of the biggest mistakes this club has made in terms of player acquisitions (and that says a lot considering we have made a lot of mistakes in that department over the years). 

2 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

He was barely 18 when AM bought him out of Argentina for EUR 23m (wiki) in 2006
Incredibly bold move by AM.  It worked but I am not at all surprised no one outbid them - indeed quite a few much have been surprised their bids did not succeed.

City bought him in 2011, 6 months after we bought Torres.  Yeah I know that relegating Torres and Drogba to the bench and playing Aguero would have been the smart move.
But to do that then would have required genius.  We did buy a stack of young talent around then though, much of which proved good buys.

To have preferred Kun over Torres certainly did not require any type of genius. It was bleeding obvious.

I dont know how true it is but, I think, I remember we were clear favourites to sign Aguero but we would have had to wait until the summer,  which we were not prepared to do, so signed Torres instead.

8 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

To have preferred Kun over Torres certainly did not require any type of genius. It was bleeding obvious.

Sorry this is all post hoc b/s.

8 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

I dont know how true it is but, I think, I remember we were clear favourites to sign Aguero but we would have had to wait until the summer,  which we were not prepared to do, so signed Torres instead.

Again not as I recall - in anycase we bought Torres that January - that suggests we never intended to buy Aguero.
I don't recall at the time, anyone linking us with Aguero, just a hell of a lot of "I told you soes" a year or two later.
(and quite a few who claimed how they had always said we should have outbid AM for him as an 18 yo).

• Haha 1

Let's be honest here. We wouldn't need a striker if we did make such a massive cock up on the one signed in the summer!

Many seem intent on turning a blind eye towards him, or highlighting him when he does anything remotely good as a positive step change for the future.

We need to face reality and get Werner punted ASAP. If he has a good Euro's we could get money back , a poor Euros then take the £10-£15 million loss and get someone in who actually suits what our intended style of play is.........does anyone know that though ? If you go back down new manager route and end up with someone who wants to play counter attack, then you might as well keep Werner............if you want to play a predomiantely possession based style of football, well he needs punting ASAP.

18 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

We need to face reality and get Werner punted ASAP.

I think you are going to regret that - probably before the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Milner?  When was that?  Or are you thinking of the skinny16 year old debutant?

The bulking up was around his chity days 

paulw66   
1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

State the bleedin obvious? Like Marks says below, Kun was definitely someone we should have gone for when he was at AM and many of us Chelsea fans wanted him. Instead we spunked £50m on a finished Torres. So it wasn't so bleedin obvious was it? 

Anyhow, my comment was more the style of the striker we should be after. Not that I actuasly think we could reverse the aging process of Agüero. I don't think a tall and ommobile pplayer liek Lukaku who has questionable technical ability is something we need. I'd rather have a strong, fast and technical type (much like Agüero was at 20-22 years). 

An 18 year old CR would probably flunk here anyway. 

Absolutely. How we managed to miss out on him is one of the biggest mistakes this club has made in terms of player acquisitions (and that says a lot considering we have made a lot of mistakes in that department over the years). 

It was a bit of fun, mate....... stating now that we should have signed have signed someone who has since gone on to be a huge success, is bleedin' obvious. I am sure there are plenty of other players in the past who Chelsea fans have wanted us to buy, who have then flopped elsewhere, so cherry picking one that got away proves little.

Am sure many on here, myself included, would have been thrilled if we'd signed Pogba.