• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

"we were linked" - we usually are.  But did anyone really think we would buy Torres in January and Aguero in May?  With Drogba still on the books?

Give over. We were linked, it probably was discussed here at the time, many wanted him badly and it was BEFORE we signed Torres.

You’re wrong, accept it. 

Edited by The_Ghost

50 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Give over. We were linked, it probably was discussed here at the time, many wanted him badly and it was BEFORE we signed Torres.

We're always 'linked' in the press though, aren't we? To pretty much anyone who takes the media's fancy for a headline. And those headlines are always played out on these forums, whether they have any substance, or none. To me, the only thing that matters is who we actually sign.

You’re wrong, accept it. 

He's not really.

3 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

We're always 'linked' in the press though, aren't we? To pretty much anyone who takes the media's fancy for a headline. And those headlines are always played out on these forums, whether they have any substance, or none. To me, the only thing that matters is who we actually sign.

He's not really.

Go back to 2008 and 2009. We were linked continuously with a move for Aguero. It wasn’t one story, it was several stories over two seasons really. It was such a big story at the time I’m surprised anyone would try to deny they really was written. Now that is not the same as stating we tried to buy him. But I didn’t do that did I?

I simply said we were linked at the time and that many Chelsea fans wanted him. So again, it wouldn’t have taken a genius to go for Aguero over Torres. Plenty of Chelsea fans would have preferred that at the time.

So yes, he is still wrong. Wrong on we were never linked and wrong many Chelsea fans didn’t want the move. 

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

simply said we were linked at the time and that many Chelsea fans wanted him. So again, it wouldn’t have taken a genius to go for Aguero over Torres. Plenty of Chelsea fans would have preferred that at the time.

Has  Aguero helped Citty win the CL - Nope

Did Torres help Chelsea win the CL - Yes

Says it all really 

Sciatika   

Like most players from foreign leagues that I don't watch, I had no sense of what Aguero was good at and how he would perform with our team in our league. I had a better idea with Torres. I have to say, that I wasn't overly enamoured with either of them. We still had Didier then who I thought was a significantly better striker, with little evidence, I admit, even at 33. We didn't know it but, at that time, his greatest night in a Chelsea shirt was still to come.

Edited by Sciatika

48 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Just like I didn't say that you did, did I?

No but you clearly indicated that Droy wasn’t wrong which then must mean that you think one, or both, of the following is true;

1. We weren’t linked with Aguero for a lengthy period of time

2. You think it would have taken a genius to pick Aguero over Torres

9 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

No but you clearly indicated that Droy wasn’t wrong which then must mean that you think one, or both, of the following is true;

I am not being funny but when we were linked to Kun we had a seperate thread (in the days were we had seperate threads for each transfer) that if memory serves me right was 500+ pages on just him. 

I agree with you, Kun was heavily linked over a number of years prior to his City transfer and most posters wanted him here. In fact, I would say that more people wanted him that Torres and that his links to us were over a much greater period than those with Torres. 

Of course, we will never know if we ever made a bid but our links to him covered a number of years and were discussed heavily on this forum, with the vast majority being in favour of the transfer. 

58 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I am not being funny but when we were linked to Kun we had a seperate thread

You will find most Top PL teams forums had a tread on Aguero. Same as he was linked with most of the big PL teams. 

Chitty were the only club willing to pay the transfer fee, and his hefty salary. “If I remember he was highest paid player in the pl when he arrived”

Epilogue 

chitty got Aguero,

one year later Chelsea got Hazard.

It’s a funny old game. 

Edited by RobertoftheGiz

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

What is it with you? No, it doesn't mean either of your ridiculous contrivances. You're wasting time - yours and mine. Now get over it, and move on, for goodness sake .