• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Leo91   

What are we doing with Havertz ? I'm so confused by the buying policy. 

4 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

Buying policy? What gives you the impression we have one? We're certainly not scouting anyone , I expect the policy is to call a few agents up and ask them who they've got .

5 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

It has, post Conte, been excellent.  We have stopped buying squad add-ons who add no value and can't be sold on because they never start.  And have only bought players who might expect to start at least 20 games in the next season.  Value added players.

Pulisic, Kepa, Jorginho, Kovacic, Havertz. Werner, Chilwell, Ziyech, Mendy, Silva

Every single one of them has started I'd guess at least 40% of the games they have been fit for.  Most 60%+.
Only Silva was not in the squad yesterday (injured).
When you add in Tammy, Mount and James from the loan system, and CHO directly from the Academy, all of whom play regularly, it makes it clear just how much the old  squad that Sarri inherited was full of dead  or ageing wood.

Quite an amazingly good transformation.

It is the selling policy that bothers me.

9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

it makes it clear just how much the old  squad that Sarri inherited was full of dead  or ageing wood.

And yet he insisted on buying/loaning higuain in multi million pound deal rather than look at an actual value add option to the squad. It puts a lot of things into perspective.

Rob B   
12 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

It has, post Conte, been excellent.  We have stopped buying squad add-ons who add no value and can't be sold on because they never start.  And have only bought players who might expect to start at least 20 games in the next season.  Value added players.

Pulisic, Kepa, Jorginho, Kovacic, Havertz. Werner, Chilwell, Ziyech, Mendy, Silva

Every single one of them has started I'd guess at least 40% of the games they have been fit for.  Most 60%+.
Only Silva was not in the squad yesterday (injured).
When you add in Tammy, Mount and James from the loan system, and CHO directly from the Academy, all of whom play regularly, it makes it clear just how much the old  squad that Sarri inherited was full of dead  or ageing wood.

Quite an amazingly good transformation.

It is the selling policy that bothers me.

I wouldn’t describe that as excellent at all.  The players you listed almost certainly cost in excess of £400m, and you are judging them as a success because they’ve played more than 40% of games when fit?  

Kepa is our second choice GK (a poor one at that) who we are stuck with because no one can afford, whilst Mendy was only signed because of Kepa going wrong.  Ziyech and Havertz have 2 goals between them and are nowhere near up to the pace of the premier league and currently don’t get much of a look in, whilst Werner is one of the most technically poor footballers I’ve seen in a long time.  Can’t control a bag of cement and doesn’t score. 

Chilwell looked good up until Christmas and will probably work out in the longer term and Pulisic was probably worth the money despite being severely injury prone, because he would have cost double if not. 

So despite spending £400m+ we still don’t have a clear first choice striker who can get 20 goals a season,  goals from midfield or attacking midfield, a world class goalie (despite buying two) or a defensive midfielder.  The squad is unbalanced to say the least and the most impactful signing out of all of them was the 36 year old that cost nothing...

paulw66   
5 hours ago, didierforever said:

And yet he insisted on buying/loaning higuain in multi million pound deal rather than look at an actual value add option to the squad. It puts a lot of things into perspective.

eh?

A short term loan deal, was a relatively cheap gamble that didn't really work. No biggie. 

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Worsebytheday said:

https://www.chelsea-news.co/2021/03/ac-milan-want-discount-agreed-deal-sign-chelsea-defender/

we would be mad to lose him, apparently was outstanding AGAIN yesterday

Maybe, maybe not. 

Not sure he is better than what we have, and I doubt he will ever become world class. A lot of talk we are looking at buying a top class centre back in the summer. Where would that leave Tomori in the pecking order?

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Maybe, maybe not. 

Not sure he is better than what we have, and I doubt he will ever become world class. A lot of talk we are looking at buying a top class centre back in the summer. Where would that leave Tomori in the pecking order?

This is true. I really like Tomori and think he will do well wherever he goes but I assume we will be in the market for a "that guy" CB1 type signing this summer. I imagine Silva stays 1 more year and Rudiger will continue to be popular with Tuchel. That leaves Christensen and Zouma who are both further along in their development than Fikayo unfortunately. 

Chrisb   
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Maybe, maybe not. 

1 hour ago, FrankLampard8 said:

This is true. I really like Tomori and think he will do well wherever he goes but I assume we will be in the market for a "that guy" CB1 type signing this summer. I imagine Silva stays 1 more year and Rudiger will continue to be popular with Tuchel. That leaves Christensen and Zouma who are both further along in their development than Fikayo unfortunately. 

I’m not sure who this “top class centre back” is that you seem to think we’re in for. There’s not exactly a glut of decent CB’s out there that are going to be on the market in the summer. If there is then name them because I’m struggling to see any. There are quite a few teams looking to bolster their defences during the summer so CL qualification may well have an influence on any available “top class players” destinations.