• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

3 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

Then he gets fouled and wins a free kick. Great for any team that has consistently good scoring free kick takers.

Which of course is any mid-table or lower table team.  For the top 2 or 3, that need to take teams apart, such free-kicks are only slowing down play.
Over the years how many times have we taken free kicks quickly to keep up the pressure rather than stop the game and send the CBs up?  
It isn't how we, or City or the recently Liverpool teams play.  
(which isn't the same as going down whenever you lose the ball, it is about keeping the ball even when you think you have been fouled.

2 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

I like him but if RM and Ancelotti are serious and have Werner as their number 1 target I say we screw them again, as we did with Eden, for tons of cash to help worsen their financial situation and then use the profit to buy a Haarland  type of player.

Not seen that.  The price for Werner should be enormous I agree.  Not least because on top of the fixed selling price a lot of bonuses for player and agent would have been built into our total purchase cost.
But the guy is a monster - keep him.

1 minute ago, Droy was my hero said:

Which of course is any mid-table or lower table team.  For the top 2 or 3, that need to take teams apart, such free-kicks are only slowing down play.
Over the years how many times have we taken free kicks quickly to keep up the pressure rather than stop the game and send the CBs up?  
It isn't how we, or City or the recently Liverpool teams play.  
(which isn't the same as going down whenever you lose the ball, it is about keeping the ball even when you think you have been fouled.

Its not maybe how we play but we do have free kick takers and we are capable of getting players into the area just outside (or in) the box and if does that and gets fouled several times a game one or two of the resulting kick may go in. He would be more dangerous for villa if they had players to get him fouled closer to the goal. Its not a football tactic I like but the outcome would be acceptable.

35 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

But the guy is a monster

Is Eric Hall his agent?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

Its not maybe how we play but we do have free kick takers and we are capable of getting players into the area just outside (or in) the box and if does that and gets fouled several times a game one or two of the resulting kick may go in. He would be more dangerous for villa if they had players to get him fouled closer to the goal. Its not a football tactic I like but the outcome would be acceptable.

Yes we can do it.  But the question remains, do we want to stop play at every opportunity or do we want to maintain the pressure.  So long as we keep taking freekicks as quickly as possibly I'd say that it isn't part of our game plan.

8 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes we can do it.  But the question remains, do we want to stop play at every opportunity or do we want to maintain the pressure.  So long as we keep taking freekicks as quickly as possibly I'd say that it isn't part of our game plan.

We want to score. 18 yards out gives good free kick takers more chance.

bert19   
2 hours ago, exiledblue said:

We want to score. 18 yards out gives good free kick takers more chance.

Have we scored a free-kick since Willian left? Can't think of one to be honest...

VA96   
3 minutes ago, bert19 said:

Have we scored a free-kick since Willian left? Can't think of one to be honest...

Mount scored one against Wolves didn't he? 

• Like 1

JaneB   

@VA96 Welcome to the site!!!  You are our first new member for ages due to registration problems.  Hopefully, we have now solved these if you have been able to join :-)

Holymoly   

Haaland aside it really is silly season for the media announcing transfer activity during the Euros. It's going to be another one of the years when nothing ends up happening, probably until after the new season kicks off. So any new arrivals don't get a pre-season and end up disappointing hugely until at least Easter. All the more reason to tie up a striker sooner rather than later so at least they have a chance of playing at their potential come August/September.

Edited by Holymoly