• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

3 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Haarland says he’s dreaming of CL football and winning it or getting close. That is something BM can offer season after season. 

Would be a very wise move to come here then, after all we have just won it and look like we could be one of the strongest teams in Europe for the foreseeable future. I can see English teams utterly dominating it for the next 5 or so years. 

None of the big European teams are anywhere near the level of ourselves or City and Liverpool have been for the past few seasons and the gap is only going to get bigger.

The Haaland transfer seems to be picking up some momentum, whether it's genuine or not who knows, but a lot of people reporting personal terms agreed or would be agreed, as long as Chelsea can agree on a deal with Dortmund. I'm not going to get ahead of myself until it's announced officially then in my mind it is just hearsay.

I don't think it's as impossible as some seem to think though, I'm sure I remember reading a couple of years ago that he wants to come and play in the PL at some stage, as that's where he saw his Dad play and he was born over here (in Leeds). Also, for those saying if he was moving this summer then Bayern would have swooped in... I'm not so sure, I think if he doesn't go this summer, then Bayern will try and get in there and agree on terms ahead of triggering the release clause, but I can't see them paying the amount being spoken about this summer, IMO.

The Hakimi links are also increasing and it sounds like we're offering slightly less money than PSG, but throwing in Emerson or Alonso to sweeten the deal, which would be an amazing transfer if it went through.

2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

None of the big European teams are anywhere near the level of ourselves or City and Liverpool have been for the past few seasons and the gap is only going to get bigger.

Apart from five games (last 16, semis and final) in this years CL knockout stages, neither have we. 

18 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Apart from five games (last 16, semis and final) in this years CL knockout stages, neither have we. 

Well, I think we have pretty much from the moment Tuchel took over, the odd game aside, including the three times we beat City.

The up and down end of season form, and I said this constantly at the time but no one wanted to listen and just moaned, was undoubtedly down to the fact that we had out eye on winning the champions league. 

paulw66   
42 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

So, do you disagree with Martin's observations?

You removed this line from the original post:

"after all we have just won it and look like we could be one of the strongest teams in Europe for the foreseeable future

To me, if we get Haaland, we are set in attack for a long, long time. Haaland 21, Havertz 21, Werner 25, Pulisic 22, Mount 22

Throw in James, Christensen, Chilwell (and possibly Hakimi) and you have a core of the squad that has not even peaked. Over the next two or three years, we'd need to replace a couple of midfielders and maybe a CB, but no immediate urgency

Compare that to where Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juve are right now, all of which need a complete overhaul. No wonder they clung onto the ESL.

The last 6 European finals have been contested by 7 English teams.  Compare that with the rest; 2 Spanish (both EL), 1 German, 1 French, 1 Italian. 

English teams will dominate the big European competitions for the foreseeable. 

1 hour ago, Tifftiff said:

F0FD846A-C900-4505-AD83-3330911BD5E3.jpeg

I must say, I've seen a lot of the more reliable sources saying this in recent days. I don't want to get my hopes up though!

2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Well, I think we have pretty much from the moment Tuchel took over, the odd game aside, including the three times we beat City.

The up and down end of season form, and I said this constantly at the time but no one wanted to listen and just moaned, was undoubtedly down to the fact that we had out eye on winning the champions league. 

That's based on your feeling and not on any observation. Imagine if Leicester had won their game - we'd be going into the CL forced to win to qualify for next years tournament. I do not believe for a second that is what Tuchel wanted. We failed, no other way to look at it. That we won against City is of course amazing, but it's a game of 90 mins where anything can happen.

No way did the team go into the Villa game thinking it would sort itself out in the final. If they did, it's madness. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

So, do you disagree with Martin's observations?

I do. Our last league positions have been;

2020/21 4th 67 points

2019/20 4th 66 points

2018/19 3rd 72 points

2017/18 5th 70 points

We are nowhere near City or Liverpool yet. Whether we will is anyones guess. But so far we have won a CL tournament which doesn't necessarilty mean we are the best team in Europe. Our league exploits would certainly say differently. Maybe Tuchel will get us there, I certainly hope he will. But that means he'll have to improve on his pro rata of 76 points since he took over. We need to find an additional 90 points for a number of years to be able to claim parity with City and Liverpool. 

paulw66   
7 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

That's based on your feeling and not on any observation. 

Well, how about this for an observation.........look at the amount of rotating TT had to do near the end because of the knockout CL games when everyone (bar City) was having a rest.

There is no way with a straight face you can argue that the CL run didn't have a negative impact on the league results at the end. Kante, for example, undoubtedly would have played at Villa park if there was no CL final the week after. 

8 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

That's based on your feeling and not on any observation. Imagine if Leicester had won their game - we'd be going into the CL forced to win to qualify for next years tournament. I do not believe for a second that is what Tuchel wanted. We failed, no other way to look at it. That we won against City is of course amazing, but it's a game of 90 mins where anything can happen.

No, its clearly based on observation.

• Like 1