• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

10 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

do you think 71 points was an acceptable return with a squad that included Cech, JT, Alex, Ivanovic, Cole, Mikel, Lampard, Essien, Ramires, Drogba, Malouda, Anelka, Kalou.......then later, Torres and Luiz?

Sarri got 72 points, and was apparently "lucky to get 3rd"

Yeah. We’d won the double only a season before and points total or not we finished second. If we’d won the title no one would have complained about the points total. 

I wasn’t a fan of Sarri but he deserves credit for what he achieved. 

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I personally believe the CF position is a case of we go for an elite striker (of which there are very few to pick from) or we stick with what we have. I seriously anticipate that we will get more goals from each of Werner, Havertz, Pulisic, Ziyech and Mount next season. It's just a question of how many. 

Absolutely agree, the only thing I would say is, I think we already have an elite striker, he has just lost something.

If we did not already own him I suspect a lot of us would be screaming for us to sign him. he's perfect for the way we want to play, just needs to get his head right.

paulw66   
17 minutes ago, Northern Lights said:

Yeah. We’d won the double only a season before and points total or not we finished second. If we’d won the title no one would have complained about the points total. 

I wasn’t a fan of Sarri but he deserves credit for what he achieved. 

We finished 2nd in a two horse race. Nobody wins the league with 71 points.

Jasonb   

If we don't get Haaland I don't fancy Lewandowski,  think we would be better getting Ings. Yes he is injury prone yet that will give Havertz and Broja chances to shine up front.

Ings would probably only be good for 18 months due to age yet think Lewandowski would be even more short term.

I don't think Werner's finishing will improve. 

47 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Personally I think he will believe he can get the current squad scoring far more goals and Mount a serious title threat.

to stretch the pun even further, I'm hoping TT will "Mount" the serious title threat that plays in Light blue.

14 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I don't think Werner's finishing will improve. 

One of his best attributes before last season. 

17 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

We finished 2nd in a two horse race. Nobody wins the league with 71 points.

We’re talking hypothetically. I don’t think Carlo should have been sacked. 

45 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

do you think 71 points was an acceptable return with a squad that included Cech, JT, Alex, Ivanovic, Cole, Mikel, Lampard, Essien, Ramires, Drogba, Malouda, Anelka, Kalou.......then later, Torres and Luiz?

Sarri got 72 points, and was apparently "lucky to get 3rd"

That 71 points finish is misleading.

We played United away as the 36th game, if we would have won we would have been top on goal difference with 2 games left, by whichever score we would have won by. 

We lost, points gap was 6 with 2 games left and we didn't take the remaining 2 games as seriously as we otherwise would have. 

23 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

That 71 points finish is misleading.

We played United away as the 36th game, if we would have won we would have been top on goal difference with 2 games left, by whichever score we would have won by. 

We lost, points gap was 6 with 2 games left and we didn't take the remaining 2 games as seriously as we otherwise would have. 

image.thumb.png.be316020d8d877c28ffa2fd3aa672295.png

Yeah - you would have thought we'd beat Man U with that squad.  Yet they finished 9 points above us.

I think you'll find we didn't try hard after that because the manager already knew he was on his way out.

14 hours ago, Rob B said:

Okay I think we’re getting carried away with semantics.  Rather than someone who specifically scores goals in the literal sense, I meant someone who can contribute to our attacking play and help create chances. 

My original point was about having 8 predominantly defensive players on the pitch too many times last season and then wondering why we don’t stream-roll teams like Man City did.  

The bottom line is our wing backs dont score or assist to the level required in that formation. 

Not really semanticw. My (and @chelboy) problem with the squad is that we do not have enough goal scoring from open play players. We do not need anymore creators so chance creation isn't enough.

If people are expecting our goal scoring problems to be solved by the WB's I want to know who they're suggesting past Alonso that has stats to back it up? Additionally, if this is going to be solved by WB's I want to know who in the squad this is going to be as currently we have 8 WB's/FB's: James, Dave, Alonso, Sterling, Emerson, Baba, Livra, Zappa. Can't see this being addressed by signings, especially as CHO may get pushed there and he doesn't score form AM as it is.

9 hours ago, didierforever said:

Better than having SMS in the team in place of Kante and conceding 2-3 each game while "trying" to score more than 1. Again, before you go about asking for evidence regarding the WBs. How many goals did we get from CMs under conte? Simple as that. 

I also mentioned Goeretka who has only a year left and is refusing to sign a new contract. Additionally, when I mentioned those two, I was indicating that type of player. 

4 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Isn't that exactly how many Jorginho scored last season, not 0 (unless we decide scoring penalties don't count, which no one would because that would be weird, referees seem to count them)?

We need to score more goals, period. It's bizarre to me how often this argument about where they come comes up, and how strongly different positions are defended. It completely and utterly doesn't matter where the goals come from so long as they come. Last season the players most would expect to score didn't, far bigger issue than Kante not banging them in.

How many of those were from open play? So, if Jorgi is the answer we need to win penalties and even then he isn't the most clinical penalty taker, he scored 7 last year, but didn't he also miss 3? 

4 hours ago, chelboy said:

Good post with some interesting things said.

1. The answer isn’t no,  Luis Alberto, Malinvoski and SMS are some of the type of midfielders I would like to see in games where we are against a low block needing a bit more creativity from the middle. We had this in Fabregas under Conte who played a big role that season that people shouldn’t forget about. No one is asking for Kante and Jorginho to be completely abandoned. There are just some games we could where we could use something more attacking. 

2. I think people are worried about the inconsistent league campaigns we have had in previous seasons. The CL campaign was perfect and couldn’t have been done any better. Some of the league performances during that time are similar to the types I saw from 2017-18. Inconsistent and looking like we lacked drive. These performances have nothing to do with Tuchel and have been around before he came. The idea to think that people want Tuchel to fail is basically saying those people don’t support the club which I think is something that shouldn’t be questioned personally. I would even let Tuchel finish 5th without a trophy and still keep him on. Whether people want to admit it or not, stability is needed at this club. 

3. Like I said these problems have been around since 2017-18 before Frank came back so I don’t see why you would think it’s about him? Quite clearly Tuchel is a better manager than him no one can argue that. It’s the past mistakes that the board have made with managers that have won things and not given them what we feel they should get is probably what causes people to show more fear than optimism on here. It’s hard for me to block out the mistakes this board have made with managers, that is what makes me fear for Tuchel. 

Excellent post. I completely agree. 

What is funny is that people are saying people of our opinion want to replace Kante, which we don't, yet they're saying that we should get goals from WB yet we have 8 of them and none of them, bar Alonso (who most people dislike), have ever shown they can score consistently or provide us with the numbers we need. 

Edited by King Kante