• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I think the latter

Well, yeah that is what I was thinking, just confused me as his size and strength was being mentioned.

I think it is fair to say that he can go missing against bigger teams but then a lot of players do , especially strikers or attacking players, there are not many Didier Drogbas about.

An argument could be made that is exactly what we need though.

Edited by Martin1905

Still don't like it.

A better choice than Lewandowski but I'd certainly not be giving them Werner and money for him , not in a million years .  

Rob B   
43 minutes ago, chelboy said:

I must be the only fan of Lukaku.

You’re not.  He’s not perfect but he’s probably top 5 in the world and has scored goals at every team he’s been at.  We could do an awful lot worse.  Whether he is worth that kind of money is a totally different argument mind you. 

Also, Haaland is a much, much riskier signing. 

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Still don't like it.

A better choice than Lewandowski but I'd certainly not be giving them Werner and money for him , not in a million years .  

No, absolutely not and I very much doubt there is even the slightest chance we would even contemplate thinking about maybe doing it.

Very, very lazy journalism. 

1 minute ago, Rob B said:

You’re not.  He’s not perfect but he’s probably top 5 in the world and has scored goals at every team he’s been at.  We could do an awful lot worse.  Whether he is worth that kind of money is a totally different argument mind you. 

Yeah, been saying this for a while.

And potentially impossible. I would definitely take the chance on Halland and I have very little doubt we have tried, as have City,  but it might just not be possible no matter how much money you throw at it.

Flinkers   
35 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Well, yeah that is what I was thinking, just confused me as his size and strength was being mentioned.

I think it is fair to say that he can go missing against bigger teams but then a lot of players do , especially strikers or attacking players, there are not many Didier Drogbas about.

An argument could be made that is exactly what we need though.

For his size and strength, he doesn't really use it though and is more of a last shoulder player than a battering ram. I think that's why people tend to underrate him and why he's less influential against packed defences than on the counter - which is also why I'd be wary of signing him although I think he's an excellent player. I'll admit though, I've not seen much of him since he left the Premier League.

I often think Carlo's Christmas tree formation would work well for us or a 3-4-2-1 with Werner and Havertz playing off someone if we don't want to change to a back 4. We tend to "fence" rather than "cut" and IMO we need more runners from deep or quicker ball speed to improve our goalscoring ability. A back-to-goal CF helps immensely with that. Especially one that then spins and goes straight for the box.

Theoretically, a 4-3-2-1 gets most of our players on field in their 'natural' positions; it gets Mount (who has a decent long shot and good timing) running in from deep and late and still leaves us with enough in midfield to cover whichever CBs play. We could even make do with the fullbacks we have.

If it was my money, I'd be pushing pretty hard for Lewandowski even at 32/33 years of age. I think he's got everything we're missing in a forward. He's never been the quickest and he looks after himself so should be able play on effectively for a while yet.

Edited by Flinkers

chelboy   
9 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Yeah that is my fear really, he’s not perfect but at least we know he is quality. When I look at the market I don’t see a perfect striker for the perfect price. No.9’s will become a really tough market over the next 5 years. Literally every club will go for Haaland next year. His value will be the best price for any top striker in the coming years. 

• Like 1

Rob B   
7 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Yeah, been saying this for a while.

And potentially impossible. I would definitely take the chance on Halland and I have very little doubt we have tried, as have City,  but it might just not be possible no matter how much money you throw at it.

I think Dortmund would sell this season - they’ve said as much - but I think it will take the “crazy offer” they’ve alluded to.  And it’s whether or not we want to part with that.  Plus his wages, plus the rumoured agent fee etc.  

I would also go for Haaland over Lukaku FWIW.  When I referenced EH being the riskier signing I just meant in terms of his age, settling into a new country, the physicality of the PL, his style of play etc.  Lukaku has been there and done it all over Europe & scores all types of goals. My slight worry with Haaland is that about half of his 38 goals last season came from 1v1s where he’s been put through on goal via a reverse ball or a ridiculously high line.  He just won’t be afforded that space in the PL.

bert19   
3 minutes ago, Kezza said:

Oh look now they are saying Lukaku snubbed Chelsea.

https://football-italia.net/four-reasons-why-lukaku-snubbed-chelsea-return/

Well, I mean technically he did (and everyone else).  He publicly said he wants to stay at Inter a few weeks back didn't he? My guess is he's enjoying himself, getting plaudits that he probably feels he deserved much earlier in his career and has little interest in being the latest victim of the English media again. 

Can't really blame him tbh - he's been great in Italy.  If he's happy and Inter don't need to sell, then he's bound to 'snub' everyone.