• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Lots of bits in this Simon Johnson article that will no doubt be discussed to death: https://theathletic.com/2764275/2021/08/12/the-push-for-haaland-the-inter-u-turn-the-negotiations-how-chelsea-brought-romelu-lukaku-back-to-Stamford-bridge/

Summary

• Lukaku gave the impression he was slightly interested in a move to Chelsea when his Belgian teammates texted him after he rejoined Inter Milan training

• Haaland was in mind before Lampard was sacked but Tuchel also felt a traditional, top number 9 was needed

• Tuchel had given his backing for an attempt for Haaland in early Spring and also earmarked Lukaku was another candidate

• Chelsea made efforts to repair their relationship with Raiola over the last 2 years

• Raiola was considered to blame for Lukaku going to United in 2017

• Dortmund would not sell, not budging at all - main reason for it failing

• Haaland was content to wait until 2022, not that he necessarily would've rejected an approach but he was happy

• Raiola did not want to force a move, in part due to negotiations with Dortmund for another client, Donyell Malen

• It took until mid July to give up on Haaland

• Kane was never a realistic possibility

• Pini Zahavi proposed Lewandowski to Chelsea and Lewandowski gave the impression that he was keen to come, but the club never made an attempt to sign him. Perhaps in part due to the recognition that Bayern would not sell this summer

• Chelsea asked about Lukaku during a meeting about Hakimi, Chelsea left those conversations believing they could agree a deal for Lukaku, even though Lukaku said he was staying at Inter Milan

• Pastorello has a good relationship with Granovskaia

• Lukaku felt badly treated by AVB, he regretted the move after a week and after 3 he knew it wasn't going to work out under Andreas Villas Boas

• Drogba and Lukaku have stayed in touch, Drogba made sure Lukaku was sat next to him in the changing room

• Granovskaia went to Monaco two weeks ago and liaised with Pastorello who's offices are nearby, a breakthrough was made last Friday and concluded on the Saturday. Inter wanted > £100M, Chelsea wanted to use players to reduce the fee, £97.5 was a fair compromise

• Lukaku's salary is between £325k and £450k depending on whether you count image rights and bonuses, this is more than Kante is on

• “Romelu is a player that needs to feel loved, to feel wanted,” a source says. “For much of his career, he has felt people looking at him with critical eyes. When he does well, people will say, ‘He’s doing this or that, but…’ and adding a negative. Chelsea have made him feel wanted. When he feels wanted, he forgets everything. That is how Chelsea have convinced him. By making him their most expensive player and paying him the most, they have done that.”

• Lukaku supposedly told Inzaghi that the club should accept a bid for him for their own financial good last week

• Tuchel doesn't regard Lukaku as a second choice, he sees this as a great backing from the club. Lukaku was made aware how much Tuchel likes and admires him and he hopes to strike a bond similar to Conte

Ruudboy   
14 minutes ago, Kezza said:

This may sound weird but Marina is a looker. How is she such a fierce businesswoman as well.

One doesn’t preclude the other. … 

Sciatika   

Actually, it adds to it. A looker with brains.

Liam w   
17 minutes ago, Kezza said:

This may sound weird but Marina is a looker. How is she such a fierce businesswoman as well.

a looker? massive understatement, I fancy the pants off of her.

firstly because she is the fierce businesswoman as you described and secondly because of how smoking hot she is.  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Kezza said:

I am with you hot and powerful

Oh my God, how old are you spotty, sweaty-palmed youths ?! 

chelboy   
49 minutes ago, Liam w said:

I'm confused, are you saying he was good at going up and down the pitch playing as a RB under frank but he was not/is not good at going up and down the pitch as a RWB under TT?

No, they are different roles. At RB he didn’t really need to join in the attackers but rather cross from deep or sometimes overlap. At Rwb, for me he doesn’t get forward to join the attackers  which is something I feel a WB should do when the chance presents it self. Sometimes a wb can be the highest player up the pitch making a run in behind. I don’t feel James makes enough runs off the ball when he plays RWB . Chilwell went through the same thing at first but eventually he understood the wb role a bit more especially with his movements and joining in attacks. 

• Like 1

Liam w   
32 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

The best example of HOW TO PLAY the WB role is Azpi.  When he commits forward he really commits, and you are quite likely to see him on the penalty spot.  Alonso tries the same, has good judgement (and a much better shot).  Ivanovic was very similar, and had excellent judgement (or perhaps an excellent captain telling him when to go), and a better cross, shot and threat in the box.  Ivanovic and Ashley Cole played alternately WB and RB, with one pushing right up and the other being effectively CB3.

Being a WB is NOT about getting up and down - never has been.  Azpi is left in the wrong half plenty of times, but no one criticises him because he is Azpi so it much be management tactics and not laziness.     Being a WB is about knowing that you will be covered by the extra CB when you go.  

I'm with Chelboy, James doesn't fit the Conte or TT WB role (but probably fits the Southgate RB role better).  The trial of James at RCB was a good idea I thought.  

Cross numbers - the deeper you stay the more likely you are to make crosses.  The closer to the by-line you get  the more likely you will lose the ball or your cross will get blocked at source.  So no surprise that James's cross numbers are high.

sorry but I think your wrong, wing backs job is not to get into the box, a wing backs job is very much like the old school FB in terms of defensive duties FIRST, secondly their job is to be able to run up the pitch to a) supress the oppos WB and b) put crosses in the box.

before pressing send I thought I better check on bing before I make a tit of myself,

this is the first hit

What is the wing-back position in football? - Premier Football UK

the second is just an american trying to explain what the wing is

the third is about a wing back in am  football

this is the 4th

Soccer Wing-Back | Stories Preschool

and then I tried google and this was the first hit

https://www.goal.com/en/news/what-is-the-difference-full-back-wing-back-football/1jielh8pgzqia1a6lv0ziv23ek

read them all and tel me what part of any of these articles is not reece james game. and tell me where in anyother them does it say you are supposed to be arriving on the penalty spot