• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

I don't think a Drogba-type player is what we'll want at all, unless you purely mean someone of his quality.

A Suarez/Aguero/Tevez striker is what would best suit this side. Someone with close technical control, comfortably through the middle but also nominally wide, and an absolute workhorse. Someone who moves constantly, and is at their best striking the ball when both they and it are on the move. That wasn't Drogba- he simply moved the defenders out of his way instead.

From the little I've seen of Costa, he may well be a Tevez we can afford and get. Mandzukic is again someone I've seen little of, but he seems to meet those sort of criteria.

There will be players out there who suit this style. They may not be 20+ goal strikers in themselves, but they'd be worth that much and more to this team as it stands.

Edited by thevelourfog

Evening Standard today saying Arsenal have given up on Costa because insiders have told them his move to Chelsea is pretty much a done deal.

However, does mean Mandzukic may join Arsenal.

This all reads like a tautology to me.

That is what I thought too.

I still reckon that our main problem when attacking packed defences is that our front man (or men against packed defences) are not making runs across/through/into the box. They are invariably static an easily picked up. Plus static players can be held, pushed, kicked whatever in the box. Refs only give penalties for fouls on moving players (don't ask why it is just true - how many penalties did Drogba ever gain in the Prem?).

PeteB67   

I was going to put a joke here saying that we're likely to sign a big Australian called Dave Mitchell, but that would be beyond a joke to those who remember him.

I think that we need a couple of strikers of real quality. My own personal choice would be Diego Costa because of his pace, strength and his record of scoring goals. He's possibly the best striker around at the moment (at a decent price, with an alleged £32m buy out clause) plus, IMO, he'd suit the Premier League.

I also wonder what people think of Loïc Rémy? (Apologies for putting his name in bold, I cut and pasted due to the accents in his name as I couldn't be bothered to add the accents myself) he's scored 13 goals in 23 appearances for Newcastle this season and was MotM against us in Newcastle's 2-0 win this season, where he scored. Would he fit into our style of play, does anyone actually rate him? I'm just putting it out there.

Evening Standard today saying Arsenal have given up on Costa because insiders have told them his move to Chelsea is pretty much a done deal.

However, does mean Mandzukic may join Arsenal.

It also looks like Courtois will stay at Atletico for another season.

Cech, Azpi, Terry, Cahill, Shaw, Kroos, Matic, Oscar, Willian, Hazard, Costa.

Strong looking team with an excellent spine.

It also looks like Courtois will stay at Atletico for another season.

Cech, Azpi, Terry, Cahill, Shaw, Kroos, Matic, Oscar, Willian, Hazard, Costa.

Strong looking team with an excellent spine.

Courtois is definitely coming back. He can't be on loan more than three successive seasons at the same club. And Kroos? Thought he was either United-bound or angling for a new deal at Bayern. Would love him here alongside Matic in midfield though. That would be some team.

Courtois is definitely coming back. He can't be on loan more than three successive seasons at the same club.

Are you sure?

No one seemed to have a source for that story, and it seems to have been put aside. AM seem to be suggesting a 4th year on loan is possible.

Can I ask why people are referencing Kroos as potentially joining chelsea?

I dont recall seeing any stories or rumours linking him with us at all? Happy to be stood corrected though.

Shaw looks like.joining united now, and for 30million he can do. Way overpriced for an 18 year old who has had one good season at the top level.

Disappointed if Shaw joins United, as rumours seem to be pointing towards. Chelsea fan, we need a proper left back, we've been strongly linked to him and allegedly even made bids. We have CL football next year and he would get to play regularly, and we need more English players in our squad too. Just shocked that United have become favourites to get him, very poor show from Chelsea.