• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

0liver

2013/14 Managerial Sack Race

0liver   

So who'll win the prestigous trophy this season? Lots of promising candidates. We seem to be doing quite well in this, just last year our own Robbie won it but this year things will be different(probably).

Candidates (going in my own personal opinion from least likely to most likely):

20) Arsene Wenger - closest Arsenal would come to winning a trophy but he is on his last year of contract so extremely unlikely.

19) Brendan Rodgers - the project is well and truly under way. His recent comments about Liverpool's dignity have made him a fan favourite.

18) Jose Mourinho - traditionally starts well, problems will arise in later seasons.

17) Michael Laudrup - Won a trophy and got Swansea into Europe, squad too good to get into relegation trouble. Safe.

16) David Moyes - watching paint dry is more interesting than watching David Moyes' sides. And considering how often United are on telly we can all have a good moan this season about him. Still, United think they are better than sacking an underachieving manager so he won't sacked unless they find themseleves out of top 4 places towards the end.

15) Mauricio Pochettino - I liked Southampton's courage to sack Adkins when they were already doing reasonably to move the club forward. They haven't bought much but have bought quality and expect them to be comfortably mid-table.

14) Pellegrini - squad too good to fail, don't think he'll be sacked unless there is a danger of losing CL football. Just like Mancini in his first seasons.

13) AVB - who'll bale them out if Bale goes? Spurs are a bunch of bottlers but can't see them underachiving so much that Levy would sack him early.

12) Paul Lambert - didn't sack him when he was flirting with relegation last season, won't sack him now.

11) Sam Allerdyce - Personally I hope he gets sacked but I fear his hoof ball will get enough points. Still its only a matter of time, West Ham are going nowhere with him in charge. Just like Stoke under Pulis.

The top 10 now, competition really heating up. All of the following people could easily win the race,

10) Malky Mackay - think Cardiff's home form will keep them challenging to stay in the league. Relegation material but won't be cast adrift. Have made some decent signings, compared to other promoted clubs at least. But Cardiff got new owners and they might be impatient if they start slowly.

9) Roberto Martinez - Inherited a pretty crap team from Moyes, they'll struggle to play passing football. Can't teach a pig to sing.

8) Ian Holloway - depends how much sympathy the chairman has.

7) Chris Hughton - everyone keeps telling how Norwich have bought so well but I'm not so sure. Could be a struggle for them.

6) Martin Jol - new owner, old and declining squad. Surely a recipe for disaster.

5) Steve Bruce - he'll get sacked again this season and will walk into another job because he is proven in the PL.

4) Steve Clarke - overachieving is a dangerous thing, just like that people's expectations change.

3) Alan Pardew - what a circus of a club. I think Newcastle will be fine this season but that won't stop them from sacking him.

2) Paulo Di Canio - he is entertaining, that's pretty much it. He is like the Felix Maggath of English football. Matter of time before he is sacked, no manager should have so much say in transfers.

1) Mark Hughes - how does he still keep getting jobs? Oh yeah I forgot, he is PL proven.

Harvz   

Good call on getting this started.

I'm going for Paulo di Canio to go first. After that, no idea.

Zoowraa   

I think you have called the placings pretty accurately. I dont think we will see than many sackings in PL this year though.

The money deal now kicked in so less panic than last season.So much change in clubs, but I think most of change are at clubs that will allow decent amount of time(with exception if us!)

I think Jol could be most vulnerable unless they start well. So much reliance on their home form and new owner who seems a little from leftfield.

Feels weird not being fairly sure we will win this one again this season!

One would seriously think that Roman has learnt eh? I mean, imagine if Jose would be sacked before March? We'd have nowhere to turn after that.

In many ways Roman has made the right choice but he has also made sure he can't sack Mourinho unless something absolutely extreme happens. Cause if he did we'd be well and truly ****ed.

I reckon we should be over the moon that Mourinho has such strong feelings for us. Cause if he didn't, who would we have turned to as our new manager?

1) Mark Hughes - how does he still keep getting jobs? Oh yeah I forgot, he is PL proven.

Yes - how is he still employed.

The favourite - because his players will have a very clear idea of what a proper manager should be contributing, and because making Stoke play dirtier or rougher than they already do will be self-defeating. Stoke players already have a very good idea of the line between rough and Red.

Zoowraa   

To be fair to Hughes, he really only has one obvious blot on his CV and that was QPR. People also forget the great run of form they showed under Hughes the season before when he kept them up.

I like the fact he has been openly honest about making mistakees at QPR and how he will learn from them.

Did well at Blackburn, well at Fulham, average at City but could argue required more time and did well with the Welsh squad.

I feel for him a bit as one bad season (probably more accurate to say one bad pre-season) at QPR leaves his reputation as a decent young manager a bit in tatters.

Way too soon to write him off.

hanuma   
20) Arsene Wenger - closest Arsenal would come to winning a trophy but he is on his last year of contract so extremely unlikely.

19) Brendan Rodgers - the project is well and truly under way. His recent comments about Liverpool's dignity have made him a fan favourite.

16) David Moyes - watching paint dry is more interesting than watching David Moyes' sides. And considering how often United are on telly we can all have a good moan this season about him. Still, United think they are better than sacking an underachieving manager so he won't sacked unless they find themseleves out of top 4 places towards the end.

13) AVB - who'll bale them out if Bale goes? Spurs are a bunch of bottlers but can't see them underachiving so much that Levy would sack him early.

9) Roberto Martinez - Inherited a pretty crap team from Moyes, they'll struggle to play passing football. Can't teach a pig to sing.

4) Steve Clarke - overachieving is a dangerous thing, just like that people's expectations change.

I could quite happily swap Steve Clarke with Arsene Wenger. The noose round Wenger's neck is getting tighter and tighter and a trophy seems no closer at hand. Their squad is competent and reasonably deep but lacks any outstanding players, he's hesitant to make big money signings and there's growing influence at board level from people that don't back his approach. Another trophyless season where they compete for 4th and not much else would surely put him close to the edge. Has the football even been that good in recent years? Expectations for West Brom will be tempered by the fact that they've spent nothing in the transfer market, but he's still brought in experienced players like Lugano and Anelka that will improve the squad.

Same with AVB and Martinez. If Bale stays the pressure on AVB to compete for a title, not just get into the top 4 will be huge, and even if Bale goes, less than 4th will be a failure. Nothing AVB did last year suggests he "gets it" any more than he did at Chelsea. He had 3 more points than Redknapp scoring the same amount of goals and conceding more. Bale's form saved them more times last season than at any time under Redknapp. Where's Redknapp now? Coaching QPR in the Championship... Martinez on the other hand managed to make a team of absolute nobodies in a rugby town, where Victor Moses was by some distance the best player he worked with, not only survive in the Premier League, but win an FA Cup, against Man City. He was a tactical innovator with his use of a 3-4-3 and he got a herd of swine singing barbershop. Look at this squad, it's pathetic. You can't tell me Moyes didn't have much more to work with. If Everton can stick with that dour prick, winning nothing, over 10 years, then I'll be amazed if in a years time Martinez isn't offered a lifetime contract.

David Moyes. So far a disaster. Will be judged on results of course. Losing Rooney with no replacement will see results decline regardless of his management ability. That might be his saving grace.

I feel for him a bit as one bad season (probably more accurate to say one bad pre-season) at QPR leaves his reputation as a decent young manager a bit in tatters.

Way too soon to write him off.

Born the same year as Mourinho and Moyes. He is not a young manager.