• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sleeping Dave

Diving At Our Club - What Can We Do?

First off I'd like to say I tried to search for a similar topic but could not find one through the mobile version of the site that I'm using. If there is a similar topic pease feel free to move this post to that thread instead.

We've now seen one of our own try to cheat to be awarded a penalty two games in a row. I don't know what others feel on this subject but personally I'm disgusted by it. Cheating has no place in football and I feel we, as a global giant, have a duty of care to the game and a responsibility to make sure it's disappears or at least decreases radically at our own club.

I would like the club to make a statement and clearly state that from now on, should one of our players be caught diving the club will ban them for one game. The decision will not be judged by how the referee interpreted the situation and instead we will use replays to decide whether the player actively tried to cheat or not.

Why? Because referees don't get everything right. Take the Torres situation against Man U last season for example. Wrongly dismissed after Evans tried to relieve him of his legs. Oscars and Ramires dives would be crystal clear calls and would have resulted in the club banning the players for one game.

I know it's a slightly weird suggestion but I feel that's the way forward now that FIFA and UEFA does sweet FA to rectify it.

We are not getting many penalty claims in our favour today and the longer we allow this to continue the worse it will get. Just look at how the opponents are allowed to manhandle Oscar and Hazard. We need to show that we are doing whatever we can to rectify the problem.

Contractually I don't know if we would be allowed to do it but I think there could be some sort of loophole by calming the player is 'bringing the club into disrepute'. I'm no lawyer so perhaps someone in the know could tell me whether this would be legally feasible.

The ramifications if we did this would be widespread and the goodwill coming our way invaluable. It would show that we as a club do not tolerate this - no more than we tolerate our players to do recreational drugs or use performance enhancing drugs.

Thoughts?

Harvz   

I'm approving this topic because I find the idea interesting. However, I'd imagine that there will be strong views on both sides of the discussion, so keep it cordial or I'll delete it. Enjoy.

I have long advocated against excusing our players from wrong doing by bringing up games where our opponents did similar,

As representatives of the club all employees are contracted to conduct themselves in an appropriate manner. The problem lies with the sheer amount of money which can rest on a single decision. That and the fact that fans and managers excuse their own players with a Wenger like blindness there is no incentive to stamp it out.

Thus cheating has become institutionalised throughout football. We recently saw it when one of ours rather than attempt to score dived for a penalty. IE in a split second cheating was considered the best way to proceed even above actually scoring. Whilst a great number condemned it (as they did today) some attempted to rationalise it and even give him the benefit of the doubt when it was plain as day he dived

So the quickest way to stamp it out would be to deduct points from the club. IE don't punish the player -as for some it's in their DNA to cheat- punish the club. As soon as clubs realise it will cost them they will stop their own staff cheating pdq.

Perhaps not the purist, moral view but I'm very annoyed by it because of what it will mean for us.

Ramires today and Oscar on New Year's Day have just cost us big decisions later on in the season. They've just confirmed a bias which is, for the most part, lacking any substance. Today's dive was more obvious but Oscar's annoyed me more because it was borne of complacency- he presumed the keeper would be stupid enough to clatter into him and was cornered by an unfairly underestimated opponent. That is not something I want to see in any aspect of our play.

I can't fathom it out or provide any rationalisation, but I do think it's odd that the two clearest incidences of simulation from our players this season have specifically come immediately after Mourinho spoke out against it. Could there be something in that?

But what should the club do? Have to completely disagree we should 'ban' or publicly condemn our players. We get slammed even when the evidence clearly demonstrates we've done nothing wrong (Hazard still kicked a ball boy, according to the world at large) and that would spiral out of control if we fanned the flames. Whatever is said or done about it absolutely has to be behind closed doors, simple as.

No you're wrong imho, the fact that JM came out so vocally against the dive diffused the issue almost immediately. The press will major on Rameries to see if JM has consistency. JM should be equally if not more vocal and state he is against this form of cheating etc.

If you notice more managers are saying the same thing as they sense the change in attitude and won't want to be seen as condoning cheats

If MOTD and Sky did their job and scrutinised every Premier league penalty given in the last twelve months, I'm pretty sure they'll find a third of them (at least) will come under the 'manafactured contact' bracket.

A week or so after the Ramires/WBA drama, Kacaniklic from Fulham 'won' a penalty against Villa. Nobody cared because it was Fulham. He then 'won' another one the week after against Everton. Nobody cared because they lost 4-1.

Even the Brentford penalty against us in the FA Cup last season was dodgy. I don't even think there was contact but their player went down like he was taken out by Turnbull.

Everyone's at it, it's no more an epidemic at Chelsea than it is at two of our our closest neighbours, but the media are trying to make out like it's just Chelsea and (going by the Daily Mail) Manchester United.

Oscar dove a little bit once and it wasn't even that cynical

Ramires didn't dive AT ALL, he falls over like that about 15 times every appearance.

The only thing we can do about it is no-sell it at press conferences, and aside from that, round up all football journos and put em in camps where Roman can screen all their content before they get let out :)

I hate to see it and I would like to see players outed and dropped, Until all clubs agree to this and start doing it I think Jose should publicly denounce them and then do no more.

I'm approving this topic because I find the idea interesting. However, I'd imagine that there will be strong views on both sides of the discussion, so keep it cordial or I'll delete it. Enjoy.

Hi Harvz

Not sure what you mean by this? You approve it because you find it interesting? Meaning that if you didn't you would not have approved it? I'm not a mod on here but I thought all topics had to be approved unless they clearly violated the forum rules?

As for my suggestion - yes I know it's extremely unorthodox but what options are left? The players will continue to do it unless their clubs clearly show it's unacceptable behaviour. This can of course be done in many ways. Deduct a weeks salary would be one. Ban them for a game would be another. Apart from that I can't see what other punishments would be severe enough for the players to stop going to ground.

Punishing the clubs won't help at all. What are they supposed to do? Sell any player caught cheating? It's not feasible. Why should the club be held responsible for a player cheating? Do we punish clubs today when a player receives a red card?

What Oscar and Ramires did is nothing short of blatant cheating. I don't care what their excuse is. Let's be honest, when Suarez does this we all go off on a rant and rightly so. It's not any more acceptable because it's one of our own.

Had FIFA/UEFA had any sort of balls they would have stamped this out already. But they don't, we all know this. Instead these situations will be allowed to lie and fester and with our track record with the refs this can only be a very bad situation for us. Unless the penalty claim is so clear we won't get anything going forward. Same thing happened last season. Hazard got a few very clear penalties his way and then some idiot claimed he was a diver and he barely got a call for the rest of the season.

This will hurt us long term. I just wish the club would be proactive and make a very clear statement this is not acceptable behaviour from a Chelsea player.

What other punishments are people thinking of? A yellow card is clearly not enough. If it was the cheating would be less. Instead it's at best status quo.