• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sleeping Dave

Diving At Our Club - What Can We Do?

Andyn   

Quite often when a player is looking for a foul, he wins it, quite often it is not a foul. This is my point. That is still cheating/diving. We all know the type of scenarios I am talking about here.

These scenarios happen numerous times a match. Like I have said before, refs often manage matches rather than ref them. They will blow up for fouls in the middle of the pitch that they would not blow for in the box. That is managing the game and not refereeing the game.

It's become accepted for players to win fouls in football, comments such as their was contact so he has every right to go down.

Reason I say the boat has sailed, this needed to be clamped down on during mid 90s and it wasn't . It's fair worse now and got that way over 20 years, your right that no-one has tackled it. I would love to know the average fouls in a PL match from a recent season compared to a mid 90s season. I suspect far more fouls these days then 20 years back, yet very few rules introduced in the game that could lead to this and the game less physical now. So if my suspicions are right, why more fouls on average per game ? Yes it's down to a mixture of diving and players winning fouls, same thing in my book. It's something I have learned to accept, so whilst it annoys me, I accept it is now part of the game and nothing can be done to change that imo.

Thats right , also if you look at la liga cheating/gaining advantage is actually applauded . At the rate we are going its just a matter of time until were the same. Sad , because football will be worse for it.

Zoowraa   

Football don't work this way though Dave. I admire the moral stand, but football not a moral sport.

What if a top player continues to dive, but he is one of our best players. Do you just get rid of him and let another club benefit from that?

Example of how football works . Ashley Cole brings an air rifle to the club and prats about. He gets a slap on the wrists. Jacob Mellis behaves stupidly and immaturely and gets sacked.

One is valuable, one is a commodity.

Football.

Indeed which is basically saying it's ultimately the club which is at fault for allowing such behaviour to

a, happen and

b, continue to happen.

If one club punishes a player he moves to a club which doesn't you are actually rewarding the cheat club.

therefore it is of no use to punish the player who is continuing to play 'as expected' The culture of football needs to change and that can only be done by punishing those ultimately

a, responsible and

b, able to drive it out.

IE the clubs who allow this to happen

Quite often when a player is looking for a foul, he wins it, quite often it is not a foul. This is my point. That is still cheating/diving. We all know the type of scenarios I am talking about here.

I don't know what scenario you are talking about here. What you describe sounds more like a dive.

It's either a foul or it's not. The grey area is, in my humble opinion, a lot smaller than many try to have us believe. If you have the ball and you attempt a dribble it's the defenders responsibility to avoid an illegal contact - it's not the attacking players responsibility at all.

It's easy to spot a dive. Especially if you use replays. What my suggestions suggests is that the club would use replays to decide. And let's be honest here, most people on here can separate a conscious and clear dive from a grey area 'situation'.

The other option would be that if the ref thinks a player has dived then the play stops for a few seconds, we check the replay and if it's a dive then he'll receive a red card. Punishment for both club and player as the player will be banned and the club needs to finish the game with 10 men or less.

I guarantee you diving would decrease dramatically.

One part of me thinks that the spineless FIFA/UEFA have no reason to banish diving. Deep down I think they condone it. I leave it up to you guys to connect the dots.

If they had a strong will to remove it completely they would have done so already.

paulw66   

On the whole I would say our players dive no more or less than players at other clubs.....so why should we shoot ourselves in the foot by banning our players? The morality of football is not Chelsea's duty to clean up - that lies in the hands of the authorities.

On the whole I would say our players dive no more or less than players at other clubs.....so why should we shoot ourselves in the foot by banning our players? The morality of football is not Chelsea's duty to clean up - that lies in the hands of the authorities.

Whilst I agree that we shouldn't be disadvantaged by something other clubs are doing and getting away with, there is also taking pride in our club. It's not the finest moment when you are ridiculed for supporting a club with divers. I don't care that other clubs do it, they are not Chelsea FC!

Boris999   

Trying to fool the referee seems to be as much a part of the game as anything else these and, without getting into the moral debate of it all, I don't feel like my enjoyment of football decreases notably between matches where no simulation occurs and matches where it happens. If anything, it seems to fuel controversy and excitement - similar to how a lack of goal line technology does so despite the fact that it is 'fairer' to have goal line technology. Sure, you get angry when decisions don't go your way - but over the years everything more or less evens out.

The yellow card for diving is the risk players take when they dive - it's almost like another skill in the game now - and I can tell you that on the balance of all the many matches I watch every year I do not believe that it, at it's current level, negatively impacts my enjoyment of the game. I believe it is the same for many (perhaps even most?) others. And until it does, there is no reason to stamp it out, because football at it's core is about how entertaining it is and villains make entertainment just as well as honesty does.

bornblue   

How about if one of our players dives JM sends them out to face the press and apologise for it rather than doing it himself - they'd soon tire of having to apologise live on air.

Bad idea time....

What if you had to actually appeal for a penalty after a foul to get one. Like LBW in cricket. It would make players consider whether contact had happened or not. One thing to look for contact. Another to dive. Something altogether different to appeal knowing there was no contact.

I'm not defending him, but Ramires had a shove in the back that made him lose control of the ball and THEN he went down.

Mutu7   

Why should we do anything? I don't understand the righteous indignation that accompanies diving when it's only one variant of what goes on all over the pitch to varying degrees. My biggest concern is that the moral outrage that accompanies anything bad about Chelsea will result in us getting less penalties when other serial offenders stay under the radar.

Diving is no different in principle to goalkeepers taking an age to take a goal kick and substitutes taking five minutes to leave the pitch. The injured player who miraculously recovers once he's reached the touchline, players claiming for a throw in or corner when they know they got the last touch, stealing five yards on a free kick or throw in, handling the ball and continuing to play on, waving imaginary cards, shirt-pulling in the box and obstruction, the sneaky elbow, leaving a foot (or knee) in. These are often committed, less often punished, but all boil down to the same thing. If the player is unlucky enough to be pulled up for it, then he gets punished by the referee, and so it should be with diving.

I'd much rather all this energy was devoted to dealing with the cynical and thuggish players - a much bigger danger than divers will ever be - who populate the EPL and routinely get away with their antics.