Harvz

Matic

712 posts in this topic

I'm pretty happy with this, espesh as the money from KDB's sale will offset it :D

Hopefully Matic will provide a real driving presence in midfield. Looking forward to seeing him play!

Welcome to the best team in the world Nemanja :D

By now most people know that I'm a huge advocate of giving the youth a chance. Happy to have him back but I hope tis signing opens up the eyes of those in charge to make them realize that buying isn't the only answer. For example, we have a lot of people that have said we should go get Shaw he's a good young left back. However, I don't see why we need to do this when we have PVA(who I've always rated more than Bertrand) out on loan and playing well above that level of Vitesse. Do we need to buy shaw and sell those in our academy? No. Do we need to buy Eto and loan out Lukaku or sell Sturridge? No. Also did we need to buy Matic when we could use McEachran or Chalobah or even Ake? No. Of course the Matic is currently better than all 3 now. But when he was 18, 19 he was nowhere near the class of the three I just mentioned. Why did he become so good? Cause he had continuous first team exposure at a good side.

It's a disgrace that we are the only PL side(besides City) that have absolutely NO FAITH in our academy. Yet our Academy is without a doubt the best academy in Europe as the Next Gen tournament proved last year. And as the FAYC continues to prove.

Have more faith in who we have rather than who others have. Our best player and captain for over 15 years now came from our academy and many more can do se if and only if we give them a chance.

However as long as people have the mindset that "We must buy 30 good players from everywhere around the world every transfer window" then what I hope will happen will continue to be a fantasy.

Just a couple of things... while I'm a great fan of Lukaku, and wished we'd made better use of Sturridge so that he hadn't felt the need to leave, neither came through our academy system. To mention them a sentence or two after extolling the virtues of using our academy more, and in a roundabout way implying they were products of the academy, is somewhat disingenuous on your part.

As for the three mid-fielders mentioned in regard to Matic, I've seen nothing in McEachran that suggests he'll ever be of a level good enough for us (and anyway, unlike Matic, he's not a defensively minded mid-fielder, so not really comparing like for like). From the little I've seen of both Ake and Chalobah, both are ahead of McEachran now, but neither are quite ready to do the job we need doing just now. We need a strong, dominant presence in midfield, and Matic (at 6ft 4) gives us that. That he's a pretty decent ball player and, because of his age, has greater experience and maturity, are further points in his favour.

Instead of moaning about things, how about seeing the positive side of what's happening... we have an attacking midfielder too many (who will shortly be leaving for more money than we spent buying him) and, in a position where we were already light before van Ginkel's injury, we now have someone for the more defensively minded mid-field role who should add much needed steel to the spine of the team.

Great signing. We needed him, I wish we could use our youth to fill a role in the team. However we needed someone more complete and now, so a great signing.

Just a couple of things... while I'm a great fan of Lukaku, and wished we'd made better use of Sturridge so that he hadn't felt the need to leave, neither came through our academy system. To mention them a sentence or two after extolling the virtues of using our academy more, and in a roundabout way implying they were products of the academy, is somewhat disingenuous on your part.

As for the three mid-fielders mentioned in regard to Matic, I've seen nothing in McEachran that suggests he'll ever be of a level good enough for us (and anyway, unlike Matic, he's not a defensively minded mid-fielder, so not really comparing like for like). From the little I've seen of both Ake and Chalobah, both are ahead of McEachran now, but neither are quite ready to do the job we need doing just now. We need a strong, dominant presence in midfield, and Matic (at 6ft 4) gives us that. That he's a pretty decent ball player and, because of his age, has greater experience and maturity, are further points in his favour.

Instead of moaning about things, how about seeing the positive side of what's happening... we have an attacking midfielder too many (who will shortly be leaving for more money than we spent buying him) and, in a position where we were already light before van Ginkel's injury, we now have someone for the more defensively minded mid-field role who should add much needed steel to the spine of the team.

Of course I know Sturridge and Lukaku weren't from our academy system. That point was in reference to our not realizing the talent that we have in order to buy a player from some foreign team just cause it's an "established name". As for your point on the midfielders of "oh I don't think this player will ever cut it here" is the exact way things were looked at when Matic was here. Now we've resigned him and people are automatically putting him in the starting 11 ahead of Mikel and Lampard. Keep in mind Matic was NEVER as highly rated as Ake Chalobah or McEachran when they were of the same age. You are basically the epitome of what I was arguing against and thus I don't expect you to understand where I'm coming from.

"I've seen no signs that McEachran will ever make it for us" as you just said. That same statement was spewed about 10x over when we sold Matic. Yet here we are.

I still haven't heard any counterarguement to the FACT that we continue to win trophies with our youth team yet we're the only team(besides City) that won't even take a sniff at the academy.

And Finally I don't moan about anything in regards to Chelsea except for the youth system. When SO many wanted Roman gone for bringing in Rafa I stood beside him, When everyone hated AVB when he was here I stood beside him, when everyone hated Torres I stood beside him... To an extent. When Mikel, Ramires, Luiz take **** for no reason, I'm the first to defend them. When people are ready to toss Mata out of the team because Mourinho says so and we have a shiny new signing in Willian I sympathize with him. I love every high moment we experience and rarely tend to moan about anything and am amongst the first to get behind the team, except for the youth system.Do I get frustrated when we don't play as well as I know we can? Yes. But I still sit out the whole game just like everyone else.

Edited by Blue_Fever

The fact it pisses every other team in the league makes it even better for me.

Straight in the squad with a debut thunder bastard against United on Sunday would be the icing on the cake.

Thought I would take a look at the David Luiz thread to see what people were saying about Matic when that deal went through. Perhaps unsurprisingly, not a lot. His name is barely mentioned as everyone rejoices over the Torres + Luiz deadline day coup. Did spot this though. Good job:

You can bet we will sign Matic from Benfica in a few years time fr 25m. :)

Thought I would take a look at the David Luiz thread to see what people were saying about Matic when that deal went through. Perhaps unsurprisingly, not a lot. His name is barely mentioned as everyone rejoices over the Torres + Luiz deadline day coup. Did spot this though. Good job:

I hate it when Kezza's negativity rings true!!!

But I love Kezza nevertheless..

Wow, that is classic. Let me try for future reference, De Bruyne will end up in Real Madrid by Euro 2016.