• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Matic

Wow, that is classic. Let me try for future reference, De Bruyne will end up in Real Madrid by Euro 2016.

I don't know man, I can't seen Wolfsburg reaching the Champion's League by then ;)

Just re-posting what I put on the Transfer thread:

On Matic, its great to see the club are finally aiming to try to address the key weaknesses in our team. Also I am expecting a bond to form between this guy and Hazard. You cannot underestimate how much a left foot right foot CM combo can open up the pitch. Matic with his talented left foot will tend to play it out wide to the left as quickly as possible as he will not need any time to take a touch and set it on his other foot.

I have a seriously good feeling about this signing.

By now most people know that I'm a huge advocate of giving the youth a chance. Happy to have him back but I hope tis signing opens up the eyes of those in charge to make them realize that buying isn't the only answer. For example, we have a lot of people that have said we should go get Shaw he's a good young left back. However, I don't see why we need to do this when we have PVA(who I've always rated more than Bertrand) out on loan and playing well above that level of Vitesse. Do we need to buy shaw and sell those in our academy? No. Do we need to buy Eto and loan out Lukaku or sell Sturridge? No. Also did we need to buy Matic when we could use McEachran or Chalobah or even Ake? No. Of course the Matic is currently better than all 3 now. But when he was 18, 19 he was nowhere near the class of the three I just mentioned. Why did he become so good? Cause he had continuous first team exposure at a good side.

It's a disgrace that we are the only PL side(besides City) that have absolutely NO FAITH in our academy. Yet our Academy is without a doubt the best academy in Europe as the Next Gen tournament proved last year. And as the FAYC continues to prove.

Have more faith in who we have rather than who others have. Our best player and captain for over 15 years now came from our academy and many more can do se if and only if we give them a chance.

However as long as people have the mindset that "We must buy 30 good players from everywhere around the world every transfer window" then what I hope will happen will continue to be a fantasy.

I find it very odd that anyone could believe the sentence I've emboldened.

A youth tournament proves absolutely nothing of any consequence to senior football- zilch. It's a professionalised school sport's day.

When I look at the Premier League, I see a few teams who have no financial choice but to play kids. The others avoid playing them at all if possible.

It's interesting that our last academy success came from a much smaller academy- youth football isn't a scale business. It's odd that you rally against signing loads of ready-made senior players, but extol the virtues of our academy where they almost do buy nearly 30 players from around the world every window!

There is a lot more nonsense in here

. Also did we need to buy Matic when we could use McEachran or Chalobah or even Ake? No. Of course the Matic is currently better than all 3 now. But when he was 18, 19 he was nowhere near the class of the three I just mentioned. Why did he become so good? Cause he had continuous first team exposure at a good side.

I vaguely remember Matic making a total of 90 mins for Chelsea and then being loaned to Vitesse. Prior to that he played in the serbian and Slovak leagues.

He has has 2 and a bit years playing for a "good"* side, starting at the age of 23.

You can read elsewhere about how good a side I reckon Benfica are.

Just re-posting what I put on the Transfer thread:

On Matic, its great to see the club are finally aiming to try to address the key weaknesses in our team. Also I am expecting a bond to form between this guy and Hazard. You cannot underestimate how much a left foot right foot CM combo can open up the pitch. Matic with his talented left foot will tend to play it out wide to the left as quickly as possible as he will not need any time to take a touch and set it on his other foot.

I have a seriously good feeling about this signing.

Firstly, welcome back Nemanja!

Agree with the above. With Essien pretty much unusable, and Luiz being played out of position, we've been left with pretty much 3 options for two positions for the rest of the season. Out of those 3, Lampard is getting on (regular knocks signify that), Mikel isn't entirely first choice, and Ramires is being run into the ground. Therefore a quality addition like Matic is very welcome and arguably a first XI addition to the squad. In theory, we're immediately stronger.

Agree about the point regarding Matic and Hazard striking a left sided partnership. I can see those two linking up intelligently. Now we just need a quick and exuberant LB to compliment them. PVA anybody?

Welcome back Nemanja Matic.

Let's hope you'll make a bigger contribution this time around!

As for him re-signing - don't get the negativity. If Jose wanted Matic he'll have my full support. If he fails then he fails. But he cost us around £20m so it's not like we've spunked £50m on a cripple. He will have re-sell value if things go sour and he should have his best years ahead of him.

Good luck!

I think on balance, it's a good signing. It's an area we needed strengthening in and Matic certainly will add to our squad/first team.

I just hope we learn whatever lesson there is to be learnt from this. Why splash the cash on Luke Shaw when we've got van Aanholt? We're good at casting the net and recruiting young talent across the world, but there seems to be a glass ceiling when it comes to the first team. I'm not saying throw every young player in, but (at the moment) there are probably two or three who are worthy of a squad place and will get games over a 60+ game season.

Edited by Box of Tricks

BoT: Yes... I really can't see why Shaw should be any better than either Bertrand or PvA. Honestly, I don't see it.

I'd go so far as to say that I reckon Bertrand is every bit as good as Shaw is atm. Potential is only interesting if it's realised.

How will Shaw react to taking that big leap at the age of 19? Will he cope? How will a massive salary increase impact him mentally? What if he gets a half serious injury? There's so many ifs that throwing £30m at a 18-19 year old is madness unless it's a one of a kind talent a la Messi/Neymar etc. and even then it's a big risk.

And let's be perfectly honest here, Shaw is nowhere near being such a talent.

Off topic, sorry ...

I think Shaw is already a far better player than Bertrand- already has 43 PL appearances (the vast majority starts) to Bertrand's 27 (many as a sub). Shaw's basically started as many PL games this season as Bertrand has at all, and he's a good five or so years younger.

Admittedly Bertrand had a far better player to usurp but he's not managed it, falling even farther behind as Cole's abilities start to wane. In Shaw I see the full modern day full back, as adept moving forward, taking people on and contributing key passes to attacks and goals as he is at defending. In Bertrand I see a functional bit-part player.

Is Shaw worth £30m? Probably not, it's a ludicrous amount of money for someone playing only their second full season of first team football. But for me he's long overtaken Bertrand.

jones   

This is a great signing! Utterly disagree with those saying he was "nothing special" in the EL final against us: he totally bossed us! Forget that he used to play for us: he would not have been the player he is today if he stayed here. Signing a 35mp player for 20mp is only a good thing. People will eat their words.