• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bokherif

Who is the most underrated player according to you

Terrific player, and sadly almost forgotten by current Chelsea fans. Our first Brazilian, iirc. Sold because Colin Hutchinson got way too clever for himself: Sell Thome for a profit, and buy (the appalling) Bogarde on the cheap. Not his finest hour.

Yeah. A free transfer that ended up being anything but free.

Was delighted when Melchiot finally left mind.

Possibly the most expensive 'free' in football history. And the most embarrassing.

Yes - the Bogarde transfer is the most embarrassing piece of business we've made since I started following us in 94. Sutton wasn't a our finest hour of course and neither was Shevchenko or Torres.

But the Bogarde signing ecplise them all. What a ****ing wanker.

Zoowraa   

Yes - the Bogarde transfer is the most embarrassing piece of business we've made since I started following us in 94. Sutton wasn't a our finest hour of course and neither was Shevchenko or Torres.

But the Bogarde signing ecplise them all. What a ****ing wanker.

Whilst it was an awful transfer for the club, I always kinda thought from Bogarde perspective that I could not really blame him too much.

He was never given much of a chance, though this was probably down to his general attitude and performances in training. If I was in his shoes though, it was my last ever big contract and I think he was given four years too. He was never gonna get that money or near it again, so I kinda can't blame him for just sitting there and taking the money.It likely set him and his family up for a comfortable future.

A person with more morals would have at least put the effort in to earn a fraction of the money, I suspect he didn't , its just one of those weird transfers where their must be more than meets the eye which never made it into the public domain.

We have had a few random ones over the years. Not ones which cost us too much money luckily, but the likes of Jes Hogh,Pierre Issa, Minerio are another handful of random signings who probably never even made 10 appearences between them.

I always find this kind of transfers slightly fascinating. Would love the know the full story behind them.

^ Yes

What is so odd about Bogarde is that I always thought he had had a pretty good career already prior to coming to Chelsea. Ajax, Milan, Barca and Holland.

Yet at 29 he really hadn't played all that many games for any of his clubs. Just 3 for Milan before being shipped off in January. And not much for Ajax. Whether that was because he injured a lot or because he was rarely ever first choice I don't know, and data for the 90s on the web is pretty much hit and miss.

How many games for Holland would you guess? 19 (+1 believe it or not while at Chelsea). Of which 13 were starts.

So as I look into it more, it does look more and more like a Chelsea cock-up. And didn't one of the players comment much later that the season before when we played Barca, Bogarde had been pointed out by the management as one of their weak points?

paulw66   

^ Yes

What is so odd about Bogarde is that I always thought he had had a pretty good career already prior to coming to Chelsea. Ajax, Milan, Barca and Holland.

Yet at 29 he really hadn't played all that many games for any of his clubs. Just 3 for Milan before being shipped off in January. And not much for Ajax. Whether that was because he injured a lot or because he was rarely ever first choice I don't know, and data for the 90s on the web is pretty much hit and miss.

How many games for Holland would you guess? 19 (+1 believe it or not while at Chelsea). Of which 13 were starts.

So as I look into it more, it does look more and more like a Chelsea cock-up. And didn't one of the players comment much later that the season before when we played Barca, Bogarde had been pointed out by the management as one of their weak points?

Yes - that rings a bell. When we played them in the CL 1999/00 apparently Vialli (or his coaching team) targeted Bogarde as the weak link.

We then bought him.

Didn't Emerson Thome have a row with someone and so was sold? By the way, that reminds me - the Jason Cundy story is a myth.

Most underrated player - SFL (by the media and general public that is).

Always thought Eidur was under appreciated. Lovely touch. Half a yard quicker and we would have been talking about one of the greats. That overhead kick v Leeds is the most underrated, under played goals of ALL TIME.

cam4blue   

He was never gonna get that money or near it again, so I kinda can't blame him for just sitting there and taking the money.It likely set him and his family up for a comfortable future.

The flip-side of that is that he had to retire at 34 because no other club would touch him with a barge-pole; and he went bankrupt 5 years later. His status as a laughing stock has prevented him from going into coaching or even punditry; as soon as he left Chelsea football turned it's back on him and he was unable to earn another penny from the only profession he was remotely qualified to do anything in.

Perhaps if he had been a better "pro" (in the Eamon Dunphy sense) he would be able to earn a living (in some way) from the game; not flat broke and embarrassing himself doing adverts for scratch-cards to eke out a living.

The flip-side of that is that he had to retire at 34 because no other club would touch him with a barge-pole; and he went bankrupt 5 years later. His status as a laughing stock has prevented him from going into coaching or even punditry; as soon as he left Chelsea football turned it's back on him and he was unable to earn another penny from the only profession he was remotely qualified to do anything in.

Perhaps if he had been a better "pro" (in the Eamon Dunphy sense) he would be able to earn a living (in some way) from the game; not flat broke and embarrassing himself doing adverts for scratch-cards to eke out a living.

Karma is a bitch.

Well said there.

Always felt Tore Andre Flo was underrated

Always felt Tore Andre Flo was underrated

Flo was a cult hero here. He always seemed to score when coming on as a sub in particular, and had a great touch for a big man. always thought Eidur Gudjohnsen was underrated as well, very rarely got the credit he deserved. I also thought Luca Vialli was underrated by many as well, even before he came to play for us.