• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bridgejunky

Read Joses Mind Challenge Champions' League Explained

A number of people seemed to enjoy the challenge cii99mn1 set of guessing the starting 11 for the Hull game so I'm going to post a similar thread for the next few games. If it turns out that people are interested then my plan is to continue throughout the season. In which case I'll keep a running table of how well people are doing and we'll crown our CFCnet champion at the end of the campaign.

The idea is simple, game by game I'll post a Read Jose's Mind thread. All you have to do is reply with your predicted starting 11. Deadlines for posting predicted teams will be stated in each thread. Posters may change their minds, and submit as many new predictions as they like but only their latest, pre-deadline, entry will be counted. In cases where an entry has been edited then time edited will be used instead of time posted.

Because Jose is more likely to rotate the team in certain competitions it will probably be harder to predict his selections in some games than it will be in others. I am therefore going to reflect this by awarding differing numbers of points for successful predictions in different competitions: -

Premier League, Champions' League & Super Cup Games

• 2 points for each player correctly predicted to start an individual game
  • 2 bonus points for correctly predicting all eleven starters in an individual game
  • 2 bonus points for successfully predicting more starters than anyone else does in an individual game*

FA Cup or Europa League Games

• 3 points for each player correctly predicted to start an individual game
  • 3 bonus points for correctly predicting all eleven starters in an individual game
  • 2 bonus points for successfully predicting more starters than anyone else does in an individual game*

Capital One Cup Games

• 4 points for each player correctly predicted to start an individual game
  • 4 bonus points for correctly predicting all eleven starters in an individual game

* In the event that more that one entrant predicts the highest number of starters in an individual game the 2 bonus points will go to the entry with the earliest posting/editing time.

If the challenge does continue throughout the season, I will retrospectively award points to those people who entered predictions for the Hull game and use those points as tie-breakers for any shared finishing positions.

Good luck if you are going to take part.

Sea foot   

Go on then!

For the Villa game;

Cech

Azpi Luiz Terry Cole

Mikel De Bruyne

Hazard Mata Oscar

Lukaku

Edit: Oops, just noticed the proper thread. As you were.

Thanks for organizing this Bridge!

The Read Jose's Mind Challenge Champions' League is a tournament where CFCnet members take each other on to see who can do best at predicting Jose's starting line-ups.

The tournament will be based around head-to-head matches between members in which the member who correctly predicts the higher number of Jose's starting XI for the game concerned will be the winner.

The tournament features knock-out matches in pre-qualifying rounds, a group stage involving home & away league matches with 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw, then more knock-out matches leading to a final on the last day of the season. (Unless the last match happens to be a little game in Lisbon. If we're involved in that game, I'm guessing that all of us would prefer to concentrate on that I'm sure!)

There will be no replays in this tournament. All ties must be settled at the first time of asking.

Everyone who has previously entered The Read Jose's Mind Challenge will automatically be entered in this tournament but any CFCnet member is welcome to join too. To register to play post a reply in the thread linked here or by sending me a PM. The deadline for entering the tournament is 9:00am GMT on Monday 17th February, 2014.

The first qualifying round will be played using predictions for the game against Everton on 22/02/2014.

The number of qualifying rounds in the competition will depend on how many people who enter but there will be a minimum of two qualifying rounds. The draw for these will be seeded and games in the last qualifying round will also feature home advantage. Home advantage will be explained below.

The eight members who occupy positions 17 - 24 in the main Challenge on 17/02/2014 will be top seeds for the qualifying rounds. They will be guaranteed a place in the last qualifying round, will have home advantage in that round and will avoid any other seeded team in the draw.

The eight members who occupy positions 25 - 32 in the main Challenge on 17/02/2014 will be second seeds for the qualifying rounds. They will guaranteed a place in the last qualifying round and will avoid any other seeded team in the draw. They are not guaranteed a home draw however.

The last qualifying round will feature 16 ties. The winners of those ties will qualify for the group stage where they will join 16 members who qualify directly for that stage. Those 16 will be the members who occupy positions 1 - 16 in the main challenge on 17/02/2014.

The draw for the group stage will be seeded according to placings in the main challenge on the day that the draw is made. The 8 highest remaining members will be top seeds. The members in the next highest 8 places will be second seeds and so on.

Each group will include 1 top seed, one second seed, one third seed and one fourth seed.

There will be 8 groups of 4 members in the group stage. Each member will play two matches against everyone else in the group, one with home advantage and one where the opponent has home advantage. That's 6 games in total.

There will be 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw in group matches.

The two highest placed teams in each group after all matches have been played, will progress to the knock-out stages. If two or more members are level on points at the end of their group matches then the tie break will be as per uefa Champions' League regulations. These are too long to type out here but if you want to read them click the link then goto article 7.06 on page 17.

*A hit is shorthand for a correct prediction, so a member who correctly predicts 8 of the starting line-up is said to have scored 8 hits.

The last sixteen draw will be seeded and will feature home advantage. In these matches, the 8 group winners will be drawn at home to the 8 group runners up. The last 16 ties will be that last matches to feature home advantage. This means that from the quarter finals on there will be no home advantage.

For all matches, members who do not submit a specific prediction for the game concerned will have their score based on the most recent prediction they did make. It should be noted however that predictions entered manually will also score points in the regular Read Jose’s Mind Challenge which might help with improving a members seeding for the group stage draw.

Obviously posting updated predictions is the preferred way to go but this regulation ensures that members have some sort of chance, even if the do not post a specific entry for any game.

Home advantage is achieved by allowing the member who is notionally at home to score an additional hit in injury-time. This means taking Jose's first substitution into account. If the first sub introduced was a part of the home member's prediction then that member scores an additional hit.

Such additional hits always count, regardless of the score at the time. If, for example, the home member is leading 9 - 7 after the predictions are compared to Jose's team but the first substitute was also in the home prediction then the final score will be recorded as 10 - 7.

These injury-time hits will only count for RJMC CL ties and will not count towards scores in the main challenge.

Injury-time hits will not count for the away member. In the example above, even if the first substitute was also named in the away prediction the final score will still be 10 - 7 not 10 - 8.

Any knock-out matches which are drawn will feature extra-time and penalties. I will explain the procedure for penalties to those involved as we go along but extra-time is similar to injury-time except that all of Jose's substitutions are taken into account and they apply to both members, home or away, equally although, if the tie involves home advantage then that is calculated before extra-time.

Can I just say I really appreciate the time and effort you've put into the Read Jose's mind competitions. It's really excellent what you've managed to do

here.