• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bridgejunky

Read Jose's Mind Challenge (Galatasaray 18/03/2014)

Agree with Gaurav, surely any rule changes that are applied cannot affect previous games. What if something else happens down the line and there is another rule change, we then go back and change all the points from previous rounds which could lead to big changes in the leaderboard? I didn't want the rule change to happen but if it is happening then it has to be from now on, surely?

Hello Scooba,

I too would have preferred to stick with the eleven who actually start the game. For me that's clear and indisputable but the vote went the other way. A clear proposal to change the rule retrospectively was put to all concerned and that's what the group voted for.

I also invited anyone who wanted to challenge the outcome of the vote to do so before last night's results were posted but that didn't happen. The change has been passed and we have to stick with it.

Agree with Gaurav, surely any rule changes that are applied cannot affect previous games. What if something else happens down the line and there is another rule change, we then go back and change all the points from previous rounds which could lead to big changes in the leaderboard? I didn't want the rule change to happen but if it is happening then it has to be from now on, surely?

Hi Scooba

As it turned out, there wasn't an actual vote regarding an actual rule change but more a vote for how situations like this should be treated. There wasn't a rule in place previously (BJ wasn't sure at first) so this would have been the first time this was brought up.

In this case, I do not think it is unreasonable that the rule is applied to the round where it occurred the first time. It's certainly more valid that we vote about it rather than our maestro (BridgeJunky of course!) deciding how this should be treated himself.

Hi Scooba

As it turned out, there wasn't an actual vote regarding an actual rule change but more a vote for how situations like this should be treated. There wasn't a rule in place previously (BJ wasn't sure at first) so this would have been the first time this was brought up.

In this case, I do not think it is unreasonable that the rule is applied to the round where it occurred the first time. It's certainly more valid that we vote about it rather than our maestro (BridgeJunky of course!) deciding how this should be treated himself.

Even if it wasn't published, this was a rule in the sense that I had considered the possibility and even programmed it into the macros that help me keep tabs on things. If I try to produce the results before kick-off a dialogue pops up to tell me that I have to wait for kick-off when the eleven is confirmed. I always had it in mind that the starting eleven would be the official one. You are right though that it was never applied and that therefore no precedent was set.

I still feel that I mentioned it in a post along the way way but I've posted hundreds about the RJMC and I definitely don't want to read through them all. :) In any case that wouldn't change the fact that, despite my faulty memory, there was no precedent set previously and so members are entitled to ask for their preferred interpretation to be applied from the first time this situation occurred. .

Report on Predictions For Round 44

Wow you people are getting good at this!

I'll get to the RJMC_Champions League and the effects of the rule change in a moment but there is only one place to start today. There were eleven 11/11s achieved in round forty-four. That's three more than the previous record of eight, set in round thirty-seven against WBA on 11th February. Another eight of you notched ten hits to narrowly miss the maximum. No surprise then that the previous record for average hits per entry, 10.20, also set in round thirty-seven, was beaten in this round. Your new high for the season is 10.36. 10.36!!

In total you managed 228 hits between you in this round. That's one less than the highest ever total, 229, which you put together against... Galatasaray first time around. Strange?

Congratulations everybody great work. Spare a thought though for Blue_Fever, Bob Singleton & King José who occupy the last three places in the results table for this round with nine hits each. Nine hits would have been enough to finish top, or joint top, in nearly twenty per cent of the rounds we've played so far.

Speaking of congratulations, well played Sciatika whose first 11/11, and first top, of the season in round forty-three weren't noted because I didn't post a report last time.

The RJMC_CL group stage has now reached the halfway stage and three members aussieblue53, Sleeping Dave & The Psycho Pianist still have 100% records. The race for qualification is still wide open in most groups so with every point being important, home advantage may make all the difference. Six members gained an additional hit in this round of games when Andre Schurrle was introduced as Jose's first substitution.Only one of those changed the result of the tie but what an important change it might turn out to be. It happened in the Chopper Harris Group where the race for qualification is really tight.

Chopper's group is one where all four members are active and just three points separate top from bottom. This makes the outcome tough to predict so the point Blue_Fever salvaged with an injury-time hit against A Blue Essien could prove vital. Blue_Fever leads the way with five points and ABE sits third with three. Take away that extra hit however and ABE would be top. The reverse fixture will be decided using predictions for the Arsenal game so ABE will be keen to make the most of home advantage to aid a push for the top two. (Remember the top two qualify for the last sixteen which will be a one off tie where the eight group winners will have home advantage against one of the eight runners-up. )

The Kerry Dixon Group is another with four active members and a tight race. Cup finalist 3Sphinx played out a colossal eleven-all draw in this round with Bristol Blue. The reverse fixture this weekend could be pivotal. This group also features the unluckiest member in the group stage so far. Original21 has averaged almost ten hits per game but has still lost all three games. Even worse than that, one of those losses was affected by the Torres/Eto'o controversy. All I can say O21 is I didn't have a vote. :(

In total four results were changed as a result of the vote. Disappointing for the four members who lose out but it's interesting that as many of them voted in favour of the change as voted against it. In the end I think the results now reflect the way most people want the situation to be interpreted and that is probably the way it should be. Fair waning however, if we run the RJMC next season, and if there is another RJMC_CL, I plan to allow the top six seeds to name the group they play in but two of the groups will continue to be named after Ossie & Greavsie. Why? Because that's the way I'd like it to be and this democracy nonsense has it's limits! :)

And so to the race for the main title. There was good news for aussieblue53 in his pursuit of Sleeping Dave. That came from the result of last night's game which means we now have two more fixtures. That's two more opportunities for AB to narrow the gap at the top. We now have a minimum of ten rounds remaining in the challenge this season and, with the gap between the top two now at thirty-two points, AB needs to gain an average of more than three points per round. Let's hope the lads earn AB another three fixtures between now and the end of May . :)

There were seven unanimous hits in this round; the entire back five plus Eden & Willian. Seven equals the record set three times before.

It was good to see Tomas Kalas get on last night but he is still waiting to register his first hit in the Challenge. Tomas has now featured in seven predictions but has yet to start, or be intended to start

:happy:, a single game.

Arsenal Next

Report on Predictions For Round 44

And so to the race for the main title. There was good news for aussieblue53 in his pursuit of Sleeping Dave. That came from the result of last night's game which means we now have two more fixtures. That's two more opportunities for AB to narrow the gap at the top. We now have a minimum of ten rounds remaining in the challenge this season and, with the gap between the top two now at thirty-two points, AB needs to gain an average of more than three points per round. Let's hope the lads earn AB another three fixtures between now and the end of May . :)

He's even getting predictions in before me now! Going to be very tough..