• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holymoly

The Next Chelsea FC Captain?

Holymoly   

Rather than have this topic discussed in many other threads, most recently the David Luiz thread I thought it might be worthwhile to start a new thread.

Now that the original three amigos of 1. Terry 2. Lampard and 3. Cech may be starting to think no longer than a season at a time at this point in their careers and Ashley has left the club the question begins to be asked ever more frequently what the club sees as the progression in passing the captaincy beyond these three stalwarts.

Clearly John Terry has at least another season left in him, barring injuries, but while both Lampard and Cech may well still be here next season it may well be worth the club considering taking the vice captaincy away from Lampard in order to begin the transition to a new captain when John Terry decides to hang up his boots.

Many on these forums see Branislav Ivanovic as the next captain in waiting but personally I can't see it. His demeanour in post match interviews is at odds with ones expectations of the man seen on the pitch. He seems to be a very quiet, unassuming guy rather than a leader of men. Looking over the rest of the squad the longest serving player worth considering is John Obi Mikel but he seems likely to be on the way out as well and in any case isn't captain material as he can't command an automatic selection.

And there's the rub. The captain really needs to be a player inked into his position for pretty much every game. Add to that he needs to be a leader preferably both in word and in deed.

Ideally the captain needs to be over 25 I would say and have been in the squad for a little time. Looking at the current squad the next player that that satisfies those criteria is Ramires god help us.and then Torres believe it or not.

Maybe the short term answer is Gary Cahill. He is English, capable of playing most games and probably first choice at his position.

The trouble I have with Gary is that he ends up being our choice due to there being no real alternatives rather than being a stand out contender. For this reason I think we need to consider this role when looking at transfer targets this summer.

John Terry's tenure has unfortunately killed any competition for the role within the squad for many years. We need to decide on the next era now rather than when we are forced to by ill circumstance.

The trouble I have with Gary is that he ends up being our choice due to there being no real alternatives rather than being a stand out contender.

If, as you say, there are no real alternatives, wouldn't that in itself make Cahill the 'stand out contender'? I'd have thought so.

Good topic, by the way.

Good shout, tough question. We have for so long thought of captain as everything JT is in terms of football and leadership quality. I think it will inevitably lead to a downgrade of the idea of CFC captain who ever gets it. Simply as JT is a remarkably unique footballer (for us one of one academy first teamers) and leader.

Thankfully I don't think we have to worry till 2016 and I also think it will be clear then who it is. My hunch is they don't play in our first 11 yet.

I think a captain should lead by example so I would rule out Ivanovic, he's far too compulsive and at times rash in my opinion. Cahill has looked great playing with JT but I see him as a number 2 centre back, not a leader. I quite like the idea of Oscar as captain but much depends on form/fitness/transfers etc, especially as I see JT staying another 2 years if not longer.

Most likely our next captain isn't even playing for us yet.

Oscar is probably the last player I would pick.

I'd agree with you if we were talking about now, but in 2+ years I expect/hope Oscar will be one of our most important players. As I said, a lot can happen in that time.

Oscar is probably the last player I would pick.

Any reason? He seems to have stood up for a young age for Brazil, and is certainly a fixture in our side. Loves to tackle, and facilitate. He hit a bit of a hump in the second half of the season, but he's still only 22. With the World Cup out of the way this summer, and careful management when our new season starts, he should finally be able to get a rest after a couple of off-season tournaments.

Not intimating that yours is an outlandish opinion or anything, just wondering why you would think he's the opposite of captain material.

I wouldn't necessarily discount any player because of their age either. I know that it was a different era, but Butch Wilkins was Chelsea captain at 18 (and a good one, imo), so it can be done. Remember that we're talking 'future' here, not next season - maybe someone like Van Ginkel could/will grow into the position? Or, a Chalobah?