• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Frank Lampard: Legend.

On 15/11/2016 at 9:40 AM, exiledblue said:

I wouldn't be too happy if we were an ambitious club like NYC are and our marquee signing went back to England and then was injured a bit too often. How many bought season tickets hoping to see SFL play.

Wasn't his fault he was injured. And he may not have had a choice with the loan. Anyway it all worked out well for him in the end. 

On 11/16/2016 at 6:30 PM, Zidane said:

Lampard coming back as a player would be embarrassing. Unless we want him in as a 'body' on the bench. But if that's the case, we can do better. He should hurry up and retire and get back to the club as a coach.

I would find it unlikely and surprising and interesting if he can back for 6 months to fill a gap in the squad left by Fabragas and Mikel, but not embarrassing. Unless of course we overlooked someone much more suitable for the job who was available in this window , in which case it would be a bit silly. But is it not true that we are more likely to find someone suitable in the summer than in January? In this case a stop gap would be sensible.

BlueWill   
On 17/11/2016 at 11:51 PM, NoblyBobly said:

I would find it unlikely and surprising and interesting if he can back for 6 months to fill a gap in the squad left by Fabragas and Mikel, but not embarrassing. Unless of course we overlooked someone much more suitable for the job who was available in this window , in which case it would be a bit silly. But is it not true that we are more likely to find someone suitable in the summer than in January? In this case a stop gap would be sensible.

So we replace Mikel and Fabregas with somone far slower? SFL was poor in his last season and bit parts at Citeh & USA will not have improved him. He wont fit the way we now play so that should be the end of it. Don't get me started on blocking young player opportunities.

SFL (the player) is a key part of our history. SFL (a coach) may well be a part of our future.

1 hour ago, BlueWill said:

So we replace Mikel and Fabregas with somone far slower? SFL was poor in his last season and bit parts at Citeh & USA will not have improved him. He wont fit the way we now play so that should be the end of it. Don't get me started on blocking young player opportunities.

SFL (the player) is a key part of our history. SFL (a coach) may well be a part of our future.

Far slower than Mikel? Last time I looked Frank wasn't running backwards. And pretty irrelevant at the moment because I don't think we will be seeing Mikel and Fabragas run anytime soon.

My suggestion was an experienced body on the bench and a strong voice in the dressing room. Healthy company for JT too. He would have to prove his fitness of course but I'm not expecting him to play 90 mins on a regular basis (and fitness levels of footballers in the States is pretty high anyway). If both Mikel AND Fabragas go in January we will need to replace them both so sure, let's get a young player in as well. Or do you want want two rookies brought in to fill the gap for the season run in? Or maybe make a knee jerk Jan buy like we did with Pato? Franks fitness right now compared to Pato's when he arrived is on a totally different level. 

I have not the smallest doubt that he could play a useful role for us. And as for the future? How about Mr Conte having the chance to meet Frank close up with regards to Frank being a part of Conte's training set up? And how about Frank having a chance to see how another top coach operates and trains. I can see the positives and I'm struggling to see the negatives.

BlueWill   
On 19/11/2016 at 11:52 AM, NoblyBobly said:

Far slower than Mikel? Last time I looked Frank wasn't running backwards. And pretty irrelevant at the moment because I don't think we will be seeing Mikel and Fabragas run anytime soon.

My suggestion was an experienced body on the bench and a strong voice in the dressing room. Healthy company for JT too. He would have to prove his fitness of course but I'm not expecting him to play 90 mins on a regular basis (and fitness levels of footballers in the States is pretty high anyway). If both Mikel AND Fabragas go in January we will need to replace them both so sure, let's get a young player in as well. Or do you want want two rookies brought in to fill the gap for the season run in? Or maybe make a knee jerk Jan buy like we did with Pato? Franks fitness right now compared to Pato's when he arrived is on a totally different level. 

I have not the smallest doubt that he could play a useful role for us. And as for the future? How about Mr Conte having the chance to meet Frank close up with regards to Frank being a part of Conte's training set up? And how about Frank having a chance to see how another top coach operates and trains. I can see the positives and I'm struggling to see the negatives.

Yep, slower than Mikel and no surprise at 38.

Before going to Citeh, he was struggling to get around the pitch and >2 years on that will not have improved.

Company for JT is an irrelevance. I've already said that SFL could have a useful coaching but believe that is what's in mind for JT who must surely be in pole position. 

We've made some senseless buys (and sales too), Pato was always doomed as with the folly of Falcao. We've also made some good purcahses and AC's record suggests that a Pato / Falcao error is unlikley. IMHO there is not the slightest possibility that SFL could do a job as a player here, but we are each entitled to our opinion.

1 hour ago, BlueWill said:

Yep, slower than Mikel and no surprise at 38.

Before going to Citeh, he was struggling to get around the pitch and >2 years on that will not have improved.

Company for JT is an irrelevance. I've already said that SFL could have a useful coaching but believe that is what's in mind for JT who must surely be in pole position. 

We've made some senseless buys (and sales too), Pato was always doomed as with the folly of Falcao. We've also made some good purcahses and AC's record suggests that a Pato / Falcao error is unlikley. IMHO there is not the slightest possibility that SFL could do a job as a player here, but we are each entitled to our opinion.

It would surprise me if Lampard didn't beat Mikel in a foot race whilst towing a reasonably priced family hatchback. But maybe you have some stats to back it up your point.... I'm afraid I don't. Nevertheless mute point as Mikel and Lampard have never been about speed. 

He walked straight into that very good City side and didn't look out of place.

Notice I said healthy company for JT by which I meant good for back up,  morale and dressing room spirit and experience. I didn't mean for playing cards on the bus or going down the pub.

You may think JT is in prime position for coaching at Chelsea but I do not. The club couldn't wait to try and push him out the door last season and virtually humiliated him in the process.Not exactly a sign that the club is looking to you as the next coach. 

As you say, just opinions.

paulw66   
19 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

The club couldn't wait to try and push him out the door last season and virtually humiliated him in the process.Not exactly a sign that the club is looking to you as the next coach. 

Sorry, but no. Nobody knows the content of the negotiations that went on, but JT ended up accepting the deal that was on the table. He wasn't humiliated, and if they wanted to "push him out of the door" then they wouldn't have renewed his contract. 

If you want a sign that the club is looking to JT as being a future coach, him taking the warm downs these days with clipboard and stop watch is fairly telling. 

10 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Sorry, but no. Nobody knows the content of the negotiations that went on, but JT ended up accepting the deal that was on the table. He wasn't humiliated, and if they wanted to "push him out of the door" then they wouldn't have renewed his contract. 

If you want a sign that the club is looking to JT as being a future coach, him taking the warm downs these days with clipboard and stop watch is fairly telling. 

Even if we were to say Chelsea didn't want him out they certainly didn't put an arm around his shoulder, he was messed about with no end hence why he decided he was leaving.  I think it's only as a result of our severe problems in defence (remember we had Mikel in there at some games), and our transfer history, that the club changed their minds.  At the contract renewal it was said it would be "a different role", so the warms downs could be that, is it a long term plan though?, who knows.

Back on the topic of Lampard, I don't think anyone would seriously suggest him returning to a regular on the team sheet, but would not be surprised to see him join the squad to play the occasional cameo, with JT maybe, for a few minutes.  Would be a nice send off.  I imagine a role with the youth team would be ideal for Frank.